Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 08:31 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,712,853 times

Advertisements

Without getting too clinical, what is your understanding or explanation of Jung's "Archetype Model" of theraputic treatment modalities. I am aware that Jungian Therapists are increasing in modern day psychiatry.
Robert A. Johnson spearheaded the movement in his books "He", "She", and "We." which provides ample insights into how legends drive societies and civilizations. I believe he is onto something very "BIG."
Thoughts or input would be most appreciated..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 10:05 PM

17,928 posts, read 27,336,509 times
Way over my head that stuff, but I love Jung's work. I am a Carl Jung fan.

He was into alchemy and mythology and all kinds of neat stuff.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:29 PM

19,614 posts, read 20,090,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Without getting too clinical, what is your understanding or explanation of Jung's "Archetype Model" of theraputic treatment modalities. I am aware that Jungian Therapists are increasing in modern day psychiatry.
Robert A. Johnson spearheaded the movement in his books "He", "She", and "We." which provides ample insights into how legends drive societies and civilizations. I believe he is onto something very "BIG."
Thoughts or input would be most appreciated..........
Is there something specific you would like to know?

Old 03-11-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Is there something specific you would like to know?
Specifically, Robert A. Johnson applied Jung's model for developing and broadening relationships that were in trouble.. What other dysfunctional behaviors would you apply it to, and how would you integrate it into treatment ? I have had great success in using it to help alcoholics recover from their illness following Bill Wilson's model as used in his text "Alcoholics Anonymous"

Old 03-11-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Way over my head that stuff, but I love Jung's work. I am a Carl Jung fan.

He was into alchemy and mythology and all kinds of neat stuff.
Your onto to something Dog. Think of "Power Greater than yourself" as an "Archetype" and go from there............ It's no different than the "Arthurian Legend" that became a societal model for England when they developed chivilary. IMO, religions are "Archetypes" for belief systems from time in memorium...... It is programmed into our "hard drive" by our parents from the moment we gain cognizance until we reach puberty.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:17 PM

17,928 posts, read 27,336,509 times
Well if we merge Jung's thoughts with David R. Hawkins, we get this formula;

ego = software
consciousness = hardware

Carl Jung was also highly regarded by David as he has been "calibrated as a man above the 500 "reason" barrier and has been shown to be a man who tapped into the power of the spiritual realm.

Meanwhile, Carl Jung's counterpart and once mentor, Sigmund Freud was one of the world's renowned psychoanalysts and would be more likely to tell you to go home and take two snorts and call him in the morning. Nonetheless, Siggy must have been pretty smart as he came in or "calibrated" at a whopping 499. Not too shabby for a scientist/medical guru.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:29 PM

The way I present it is:

Hard Drive = Subconscious - In humans it is programed, mostly, prior to reaching puberty.
Software = Conscious - How we currently act/react in our present state of existence.

Now the 4th. Step example shown by Wilson on pages 59&60 of the BB, according to word of mouth and info I garnered over the years, follows one of Jung's treatment modalities. (BTW-In later years he outright rejected Freud's appraoach and hypothesis).
Here is how I explain it to the newcomer when laying out the process for completing the 4th. Step.

"The subconscious mind delivers info or data, if you will, thru pictures and symbols. If you watch a person in REM sleep, they are experiencing this phenomena. The conscious mind, however, processes info, data, thru words and numbers. So the problem a person faces when they do a lifetime inventory is how to access the sub-conscious data base while they are awake. They must do this to dig down under all the crap that has been buried and pushed down by years of alcohol abuse to retrieve the resentments and fears that drive are 'the underlying causes' of the behavior. Further complicating the task is the guilt and shame that alcoholics internalize as a result of their manifested behaviors that comes with their illness."

So the example I use, a bit simplistic I admit, is this:

If you you go to a movie would you be able to write down all of the dialogue while you are watching the show? Obviously that would be impossible. When a newcomer writes a biography to achieve his 4th. Step it would be doing the same thing because he is trying to write about things that occured all his living years (His life story). Those "things" are stored in his subconscious and while he is writing his "script" the movie is running leaving him in the 1st. grade while the movie is in college of even further along.
So how does one resolve the dilemma ? The conscious is receiving data at the speed of a movie (Pictures & symbols) and trying to process it with words and numbers (writing or typing). Thus the only way is to use KEY WORDS OR PHRASES.. I tell the newcomer to have 4 blank sheets of paper in front of him and just let the movie roll while he writes down - Act 1, Scene 1, etc. Further, the subconscious will skip around so just record what comes up. What happens is that it slowly starts to process, picks up speed and then starts to wind down as the movie comes to an end. When done, he will have about all of the buried resentments and fears of a lifetime that he harbors against PEOPLE, INSTITUTIONS & PRINCIPLES as specifically described in the BB example on pages 59&60.

There is a lot more to this process, but I hope you can grasp the concept as I have explained in my bumbling literal method. What I can tell you is that I have been doing it for, you know, over 27 years and have been blessed to watch the results (when my students work it properly) to see over 65% recovered today who live happy, joyous and free lives because they have permanent recovery as long as they work 10, 11, and 12 on a regular basis. Hope we can talk more about this. You have some excellent info, too, and it coincides with a lot of what I use. You may want to check out Robert A. Johnson's books for more insight.
On the spiritual side, I find a lot of my inspiration in The Urantia Book. It is a bit costly, but it can be accessed, in toto, via google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health