Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 04:51 AM

64 posts, read 376,528 times

Advertisements

I applied to SS disability and was denied. I have Lumbar-sacral central stenosis. Back pain, radiating down my left leg, with sciatica. I also am Diabetic, and have Diabetic peripheral neuropathy in both legs and feet, making any type of job that requires standing near impossible, due to pain, burning, numbness in my feet. I have been unemployed for over 2-years, and have not been able to find work
anywhere, at any level. I couldn't even get a Part-time job in a supermarket. At age 57 it is near impossible to find anyone to hire you. Today, the world wants Young and cheap. I find there is no hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugDaddyNJ View Post
I applied to SS disability and was denied. I have Lumbar-sacral central stenosis. Back pain, radiating down my left leg, with sciatica. I also am Diabetic, and have Diabetic peripheral neuropathy in both legs and feet, making any type of job that requires standing near impossible, due to pain, burning, numbness in my feet. I have been unemployed for over 2-years, and have not been able to find work
anywhere, at any level. I couldn't even get a Part-time job in a supermarket. At age 57 it is near impossible to find anyone to hire you. Today, the world wants Young and cheap. I find there is no hope.
I cannot believe you were denied! Is there a way to appeal? This makes no sense with the pain you are going through.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:00 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Then, you should work with your State Vocational rehabilitation agency, and employment center. They may be able to help get you placed, even working at Salvation Army, for minimum wage, at a job you can perform with your disabilities.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:31 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Then, you should work with your State Vocational rehabilitation agency, and employment center. They may be able to help get you placed, even working at Salvation Army, for minimum wage, at a job you can perform with your disabilities.
This is a good idea. ^^^^

Also, are there any call center or telemarketer jobs in your area? They're usually done seated or with an option to sit or stand.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:56 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,610 times
Get a disability lawyer. Yes, they will take a portion of your original dispensation, but they will expidite the process and get your claim pushed through faster. Rarely, does anyone get approved the first time. Keep trying to get your disability.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:05 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
The "Catch-22" of applying for SSDI, an attorney will tell you not to work, as it makes your case weaker. But, unless you have someone to support you, most people have to work. That is where Voc Rehab can help you out, to find you employment with your disability. They can also help you with your SSDI paperwork.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:43 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugDaddyNJ View Post
Just so you know, everyone that applies for disability gets denied the first time...sick system....but it does happen.

My Brother has been in the system for nearly 8 years, he has yet another hearing coming up in the beginning of April. I didn't know this but the judges evidently get a stipend for the denials. We are looking into one of those free SSDI lawyers, or ADA if he is turned down again. He has been turned down 3 other times.

There may be help for Him as a Doctor that my Mother worked for recently ran into Him, and heard his story, and has gone through all his medical papers and re categorized his level of disability.

So, I am suggesting to you that you should try to find a social worker, or contact Americans w/ Disability (ADA ) in your area, and see if there is some help.

I also know that most states have a resource number for people to call, you will ask for the type programs or assistance that you are seeking and they give you the name and phone numbers for your area.

Dial 211 from your local phone. This is called First link here in N.D. But it is supposed to be in all states.
2-1-1 Information and Referral

National 211 Collaborative

Please check. If you feel worse, start w/ some help w/ your depression....often the provider will also make referrals for you for your other needs...do not be shy about asking.

Our taxes have paid for these services, there are there for us to use when we need them, they are often funded based of need.....use them so that they will be there for the next person.

Please apply for all programs, food stamps, medical help, anything you can get information on.

Also, if you are a Vet, get to a VA hospital, get into the programs that have been revamped the last few years. I am sorry for what you are going through, you have several issues that cause real health problems.

Please reach out. You may also want to share what resources you find as you do, for there is always someone else out there that could use the information too. I hope you find some help.

Also, there are agency's that put over 55 yrs old to work, it is called Green Thumb in my area. You may have to ask the 211 operator that one too for your area.

Here is a website that may help you find out about special programs for putting seniors back to work in your area. http://www.aarp.org/work/

I did find a couple sites that have menus w/ some help or links for your medical needs Explaining Spinal Disorders: Lumbar Spinal Stenosis

This link also has a forum listed in the top right area of the page Diabetic Neuropathy - Neuropathy and Diabetes - Peripheral Neuropathy

Last edited by JanND; 03-30-2012 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: corrected link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health