Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:58 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times

Advertisements

Depression is a life sucking monster. If you want to be alone, be alone. I didn't want to talk to anyone or be around anyone when I went through it. And I told those closest to me how I felt. It's natural for the people who love you to want to help, so out of respect for them, check in once in a while just to let them know you're OK. But take the time you need and definitely reach out when you feel you need someone there.

ETA: To be clear, this doesn't mean you shouldn't get help and just suffer through it. Something is wrong, and like your physical health, your emotional health also needs treatment in times like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 PM

349 posts, read 616,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
It sounds to me like you are angry and not finding an outlet for the anger. Bottling it up. Being cool towards others, because you don't want to let on, or get into what is bothering you.

Sounds like you really need someone to talk to and work out your problems.

Being angry and upset to the point of depression is going to affect all your relationships, decisions, actions, etc in your life in a negative way.

You need to find a way to work out those issues in a healthy way, to bring some joy back to your life. Whether it is trusted family, friends, professionals (psychologist, pastor, etc).

Bang. Checkered nailed it. If you can't find someone to talk to about this sensitive issue, try writing it down- it doesnt even need to make sense, just get it out of your system in a (healthy) way that won't hurt yourself or anyone else. If you choose to write it down, when you're done, don't read it, just rip it up, or throw it in the fireplace (if you have one!) It's a good way of letting it go.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:06 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
This thread should be in Heath & Wellness.

Ok, I have a few minutes, so I'll make some replies. I don't think this should be in health and wellness, because it effects "relationships". I'm very personal. It's very hard for me to divulge personal information even on an anonymous message board. Let's just say that I was told I had something wrong with me that I never saw coming. Needless to say, it through me for a loop. At the same time, my gf and I are having problems as well.

I don't think people have to know the exact reason. All they really need to know is that I might be at my very lowest that I have ever been in life. And trust me there have been many!

I guess I just wanted to know what other people do when they feel so bad that they just want to lash out at others. However, I know that this will get me knowwhere, and only make things worse.

Have you ever felt so bad that it was even hard to hide it. I never thought of myself as someone who wears their feelings on their sleeve, but I guess I'm rethinking that one too..

I'm good at listening to other people's problems, but rarely do I ask help for mine. The Psychologist by the way was a professor. He was not my shrink.

I'm truly sorry I'm being so vague. I'm just still in shock. I'm still trying to comprehend it myself.

All I do know is that I don't like to take things out on others just because I'm miserable.

Ex, A coworker thursday was just trying to be nice to me, and I just felt like saying-would you just leave me alone. I didn't. Thank god. However, that's how I feel. I'm so lost right now. I've been through alot in life and usually find a way out of those dark holes; however, this time I'm not so sure.

Thank you everybody for your sincere replies. If I don't respond specifically to your post, don't think that it is not forgotten.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Depression is a life sucking monster. If you want to be alone, be alone. I didn't want to talk to anyone or be around anyone when I went through it. And I told those closest to me how I felt. It's natural for the people who love you to want to help, so out of respect for them, check in once in a while just to let them know you're OK. But take the time you need and definitely reach out when you feel you need someone there.

ETA: To be clear, this doesn't mean you shouldn't get help and just suffer through it. Something is wrong, and like your physical health, your emotional health also needs treatment in times like this.

It's not just depression, although I agree it is a monster. It's the news I received sort of brought it back out. Not too mention my relationship is going through some trying times.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
It sounds to me like you are angry and not finding an outlet for the anger. Bottling it up. Being cool towards others, because you don't want to let on, or get into what is bothering you.

Sounds like you really need someone to talk to and work out your problems.

Being angry and upset to the point of depression is going to affect all your relationships, decisions, actions, etc in your life in a negative way.

You need to find a way to work out those issues in a healthy way, to bring some joy back to your life. Whether it is trusted family, friends, professionals (psychologist, pastor, etc).

Yes, I am very angry and don't know what to do about it. I don't want to take it out on my gf/ kids or even parents. Their old and can't take it. I guess I just don't want to effect other people, but I think invariably I will. I don't think I've ever been this lost. I wish I had strong faith, but I don't.

I exercise daily, but that isn't enough. I don't do drugs (anymore) or drink. I guess I'm looking for healthy ways to cope, but I am having a hard time thinking of some.

Thanks for your imput.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
I have found the only thing that helps is connecting with your higher self or "spirit" or the divine, or whatever you might call it. That fixes every kind of problem, I think.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:40 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
There's only way to end depression.

God. But you have to be one of the faithful. The crocodile would recommend Psalm 83. It sends shock waves from his snout to his tail. He feels like David, every time he finishes reading it aloud.

The a-religious folk usually take to depression pills and other chemicals.

But surely, you can't have it that rough.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:56 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
yeah, TBH you lost me. too abstract. Something about "retaining character". I don't know what that means, but I am guessing it has something to do with your ego, perception of self, and sense of self-worth.

Being angry is fine. Expressing that anger is fine. Directing that anger towards an innocent bystander is not. I consider this more of courtesy, and social aptitude, than "character." It is not really a moral issue.
The thread reminds me of this radiohead video. They ask him the reason and he never explains until the end.

Radiohead - Just - YouTube

Old 04-09-2012, 01:15 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
I'm a wear my heart on my sleeve kind of girl. What has helped me through the toughest times - my husband, my mother, my best friends, The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, singing, screaming into my pillow, crying and letting it all out, watching some of my favorite movies, talking to a therapist (when I used to go it was actually the highlight of my week), acupuncture (helps me tremendously), walking, running, ice cream, chocolate... I think that about covers it. But mostly just talking things out with someone close to me is what has helped me through some of the bad times.

Are the problems with your girlfriend stemming from what is going on? Try explaining to her that you know that you aren't going to be the best partner possible right now - and maybe it's not fair - but you really need some emotional support right now to help you get through what is going on.

Best of luck to you. I'm sorry that you are having to deal with whatever it is you are having to deal with right now.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'm a wear my heart on my sleeve kind of girl. What has helped me through the toughest times - my husband, my mother, my best friends, The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, singing, screaming into my pillow, crying and letting it all out, watching some of my favorite movies, talking to a therapist (when I used to go it was actually the highlight of my week), acupuncture (helps me tremendously), walking, running, ice cream, chocolate... I think that about covers it. But mostly just talking things out with someone close to me is what has helped me through some of the bad times.

Are the problems with your girlfriend stemming from what is going on? Try explaining to her that you know that you aren't going to be the best partner possible right now - and maybe it's not fair - but you really need some emotional support right now to help you get through what is going on.

Best of luck to you. I'm sorry that you are having to deal with whatever it is you are having to deal with right now.

Thank you Dew,

I can always count on you for good advice. No, the problems with my gf have nothing to do with what I found out. We were starting to have problems before that. Not too serious, but problems nonetheless. But the problem I'm having may very well effect her. I wish I could give more. I just can't. The doctors still have to run some more tests. It's to do with my health. That's all I will say. It's not HIV, but with the luck I'm having, I'm very hesitant to say that (very superstitious). Yikes, that's a bit more than I wanted to share..

I've always been one to try to be nice to people, but I'm finding it very difficult right now. I'm not lashing out, but I feel like I'm heading for an explosion of some sort, either verbally or physically. Not physically towards a girl (I've never hit a women before) but physical towards the wrong guy at the wrong time. To put it simply, someone who doesn't deserve it. I'm trying real hard to keep it together.

I don't think it's fair to take my problems out on others. That's why I am asking for help. Because left to my own thinking, I am going to be in trouble. It's not easy for me to ask for help. For me, I am really putting myself out there. I just want to retain some small bit of character through all of this pain. Thanks for the advice. I would rep you, but I tried yesterday and I don't think they'll let me..

Again thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health