U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-11-2012, 05:48 PM

262 posts, read 287,298 times

Advertisements

My friend has always had low self-esteem. A lot of the way she feels is how people treat her. Now after years of feeling inferior she's had enough. I've known her since I was little and she's always hated herself. Literally, she's HATED herself. Now, she says she will get help and try to do things differently but she has come to the conclusion that if she doesn't feel better about herself she will commit suicide in a year. I unfortunately believe her but there is nothing that anyone can do to convince her differently.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 05:58 PM

12,758 posts, read 8,252,221 times
A lot can happen in a year. If she gets counseling, that should help her, if it doesn't, she needs to go somewhere else for help. There is no reason she can't start feeling better about herself if she is taking the first step.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:15 PM

11,444 posts, read 8,417,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beilua Rose View Post
My friend has always had low self-esteem. A lot of the way she feels is how people treat her. Now after years of feeling inferior she's had enough. I've known her since I was little and she's always hated herself. Literally, she's HATED herself. Now, she says she will get help and try to do things differently but she has come to the conclusion that if she doesn't feel better about herself she will commit suicide in a year. I unfortunately believe her but there is nothing that anyone can do to convince her differently.
I would stick by her side and encourage her to get help and just be there for her. That's the best you can do. Maybe you guys could do something fun together to help her get her mind off of things (if that's something she'd be willing to do) Does she talk about things to you and vent? Let her know you will always be there for her no matter what. You can give her advice but that does not mean she will follow it. I hope things get better for you and your friend.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:22 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,326,050 times
what does "compromise her suicide mean"?

Old 04-11-2012, 07:24 PM

11,444 posts, read 8,417,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Maybe she is re-thinking it by getting help?

Old 04-11-2012, 07:27 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,715,901 times
taking generic brand sleeping pills

Old 04-11-2012, 07:30 PM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,345 posts, read 5,288,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Maybe she meant 'contemplate'?

In any case, I agree about sticking with her and expressing your feelings that she should not kill herself. There are suicide hotlines, too, that counsel people.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:35 PM

262 posts, read 287,298 times
By "compromising", she means that she will commit suicide within a year as opposed to "anytime" if things don't change. There is nothing we can do. We've tried talking her out of it and she's "compromising" her decision for us (Like it's helping the situation..).

Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 PM

18,868 posts, read 15,987,943 times
I think I should write a book, about people who really went thru with suicide, by shooting themselves, taking meds, driving into a tree...and lived. Many of them with severe disabilities. The experience completely changed their lives, and one would think for the worse..!ut interestingly enough, the entire event is a life changing experience, almost like the act of committing suicide was a catharsis. And living afterwards, even with a self inflicted disability, created a purpose in life.

I don't recommend a self inflicted injury as a "cure" for depression, but it definitely changes the direction of many people's lives.

Your friend needs help. Professional help, maybe even hospitalization. Even without insurance, people who are a danger to themselves can be committed for 72 hours under the "Baker Act", as an involuntary committment. I suggest you tell adult protective services about your friend's plan, so they can intervene, and get her the treatment she needs.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:50 PM

5,088 posts, read 3,281,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I think I should write a book, about people who really went thru with suicide, by shooting themselves, taking meds, driving into a tree...and lived. Many of them with severe disabilities. The experience completely changed their lives, and one would think for the worse..!ut interestingly enough, the entire event is a life changing experience, almost like the act of committing suicide was a catharsis. And living afterwards, even with a self inflicted disability, created a purpose in life.

I don't recommend a self inflicted injury as a "cure" for depression, but it definitely changes the direction of many people's lives.

Your friend needs help. Professional help, maybe even hospitalization. Even without insurance, people who are a danger to themselves can be committed for 72 hours under the "Baker Act", as an involuntary committment. I suggest you tell adult protective services about your friend's plan, so they can intervene, and get her the treatment she needs.
If she is going to try and get help, why would it be necessary to have her carted off for a 72 hour lock up stay against her will? If she felt she had no self esteem before, that trip will only make it worse. I've seen staff that could care less about the well being of the person and showed inpatients very little respect. That is not uncommon at all.

All the OP can do now is be there for her as much as she can, showing compassion and love for her friend. I do hope she can see some relief through treatment, and thanks to the OP for be a caring friend. Many people are quick to dump those with serious problems like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health