Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 03:17 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
yes. Exercise and good diet and staying busy doing things that matter to you. 'depression' is mostly a western disease, most people in the world do not have the time to be depressed and do not live in such an isolated society and eat such unnatural food.
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 03:50 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
For the majority of society the brain is not the most important part of the body.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:09 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Because they're not as visible as other ailments. Even internal cancers can be imaged with an MRI, CT, or PET scan; mental illnesses rarely or never can be seen with the bare or aided eye (I say "rarely" rather than "never" because of the potential of "seeing" them with fMRI, but that's off most people's radars).

This leads to a lot of ostracism, a lot of neglect, and a whole lot of misunderstanding. I never really understood depression before I had firsthand experience with it. It's certainly not just "the blues" like many think it is.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:55 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
I had a best friend from h.s. wither and eventually die from her mental illness They cannot be treated with just "diet and exercise"...
Although I do agree that largely the western diet and lack of exercise is definitely lacking.
And the epidemic of "can't sleep"... could be not enough body movement and fresh air during the day to make them truly tired out? Unfortunately our lifestyles aggravate this.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:46 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I am not somebody who thinks that drugs are the answer, however...
Me neither. I'm of the school that you can't fix a busted noodle with a busted noodle.

When I'm in a bad spot, I set my feelings aside and work on acting my way to better thinking... not the vice versa.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:22 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,316 times
Speaking as a menopausal woman,I experienced debilitating anxiety once my hormones shifted. NO amount of "exercise,and proper diet"helped me. My brain was affected from hormone depletion. It was only helped by drugs. And yes,I tried hormone replacement,etc. Some cases are truly brought on by physical stuff.
Just had to throw that in.

Greenchili

Old 04-14-2012, 06:46 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Yes. Exercise and good diet and staying busy doing things that matter to you. 'Depression' is mostly a western disease, most people in the world do not have the time to be depressed and do not live in such an isolated society and eat such unnatural food.
This is a common fallacy - the belief that depression or the other major mental illnesses (schizophrenia and manic-depression) are more common in advanced industrial societies because of the unnatural lifestyles isn't accurate. However I have read that recovery from those illnesses tend to be faster in thirdworld countries (given medication) because of the stronger family structures - the family takes in the afflicted person, and there's always a little something to do for the extended family, so he or she is not just left alone to stare at the wall as in firstworld countries.

Here's an article on the epidemiology of major depression, there doesn't seem to be that much rhyme or reason to where it's highest (though I would argue that the US is #1 simply because there's a much bigger spotlight on the depression, while it is often pushed under the rug in other nations): Epidemiology of depression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scroll down a bit to find the ranking of nations by Age-Standardized Disability-Adjusted Life Year (DALY)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health