Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 12:07 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Take sugar out of diet X
Exercise regularly X
Get out into nature X
Okay, now what?

Don't forget to -
Think Positively X
Snap out of it X
Stop feeling sorry for yourself X

Old 04-21-2012, 12:08 PM

399 posts, read 581,515 times
Where's the growth in this post? Where's the inspirational stories of people who climbed out of their depression? Or the things that have helped you as an individual cope with your depression?

It's nice to have people who understand what you're going through, but where's the light, the insight, the support and inspiration to climb out of the abyss as opposed to all the stories of people whose words didn't affirm our viewpoint at the time?

Old 04-21-2012, 12:18 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,587,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I often wonder about some "trained" therapists. Who have never really experienced true poverty, disability, chronic pain, or a chronic illness, or even been a victim of crime. And they spout off with meaningless platitudes and give you a worksheet to complete about cognitive thinking. Is that really what depressed folks need?
I would find a new one. There are good drs out there who can empathize, it does sometimes take awhile to find...

a worksheet? lol, I went to a place last year that had that simple minded question "What have YOU done to solve your problems"? (In that exact verbiage).

Lack of insight isnt limited to relatives, it also extends to some so called "therapists" as well, unfortunately.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:21 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinieRN View Post
Where's the growth in this post? Where's the inspirational stories of people who climbed out of their depression? Or the things that have helped you as an individual cope with your depression?

It's nice to have people who understand what you're going through, but where's the light, the insight, the support and inspiration to climb out of the abyss as opposed to all the stories of people whose words didn't affirm our viewpoint at the time?
some of us firmly believe that depression ( once gotten ) cannot be gotten rid of , it leaves a permanent mark on your soul and psyche , thats why so many people commit suicide , they know they are changed and cannot live with the loss of the old self

i have depression thirteen years and have never come close to feeling how i was before it set in , i dont expect that to ever change , depression set me on the path to athiesm , i was once of the view that life is fair and that things always work out in the end , ive now come to the conclusion thatt we are insignificant and that thier is no nescessity for any of us to be happy

Old 04-21-2012, 01:55 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,313,257 times
I don't think we're going to listen to someone who hands us "lectures" and seem to be "putting us down." (Pompous, arrogant "know-it-alls!")...On the other hand I think we can become "enablers" if we just "go along" with everything. And never challenge anyone to try to step out of the "abyss."

Old 04-21-2012, 02:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I did see the lecture except for the replies really.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:13 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,667,161 times
Although the Cooper institute has been successful in establishing the effectiveness of exercise as a treatment for depression, it is important for a person to know if they have situational depression or if they have a chemical imbalance. There is nothing wrong with taking a pill. We do not possess super mental powers that change our endocrine system. If that was the case maybe diabetics can think them selves out of their illness.
http://www.cooperinstitute.org/dose

Old 04-21-2012, 02:17 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Attended a meeting with some city worker...she looked at the group and said..."I am held together by chemicals...I used to be depressed..but I am fine now"...This lady was supposed to council the un-employed....just to make it clear.

Then this lunatic blurted out...You are all depressed and I suggest that you all take medication for the problem'..........Well I perked up and said..."Yes - they are depressed...but that there is a cure"----she asked me what. I replied "Drop $5000 into each of their accounts and they will no longer be depressed". The silly woman shut right up.

Money is the cure. When there is a savage environment around a person that is oppressive..They attempt to alter the brain chemistry of the person- instead of correcting and altering the atmosphere that is causing the hopelessness.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:21 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
With money you can leave the dark area that is depressing and enter into a better world. With no money you are stuck..It's primarily economics that lights the cold fire of depression. It bugs the hell out of me when people of means attempt to drag someone out of their depression without investing a dime in a venture leading towards the establishing of common hope.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:48 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
With money you can leave the dark area that is depressing and enter into a better world. With no money you are stuck..It's primarily economics that lights the cold fire of depression. It bugs the hell out of me when people of means attempt to drag someone out of their depression without investing a dime in a venture leading towards the establishing of common hope.
This is poppycock and horsewaddle. There are stories every day about "people of means" who ARE depressed. Money doesn't solve depression. Fame and fortune doesn't solve depression, and in fact, it can contribute to it.

Depression isn't just feeling sorry for yourself. That's self-pity. Self-pity is ONE symptom of depression - but depression goes a lot deeper than that. Clinical depression is a chemical issue in the brain. Money can't fix a chemical imbalance. Medication, exercise, and dietary changes can contribute to a more balanced brain chemistry. It's not a cure, but it's a treatment. And in some people it is a successful long-term treatment.

There's no "cure" for clinical depression.

There is a "cure" for episodic depression - and that is time. If you are feeling sad because your mom died, time will eventually cure the profound sadness. The death of your child can be traumatic, and leave a lingering melancholy that never truly goes away. But the initial depression does fade, with time. If you're down in the dumps because it's winter, then spring will cure that. Those are episodes in your life that are, by their very nature, sad occurrences. It's natural to be depressed for a period of time following a tragedy.

When the depression doesn't lighten up, or becomes worse and worse and starts to interfere with the rest of your life even after everyone else in your social/familial circle is progressing in the healing process, that's when you take it to a professional and find out what's going on in your head, and what to do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health