Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 11:15 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times

Advertisements

How would you rate yourself when it comes to being patient? Or impatient?...I definitely think that stress can play a role when it comes to our level and degree of patience. Don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 12:50 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
That is hilariously funny. Because my family and friends, think I am the most impatient person in the world. However, people I work with, think that I have the patience of a saint. Who is right?

I will say...that for the people I work with, and for, I have a huge tolerance...I love my job...and my job requires a tremendous amount of patience.

But my kids, after I tell them to pick stuff up for the 3rd time...forget it!

Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I try to be as patient as I can be. It takes alot for me to get impatient. My husband is very impatient. He wants everything done Now. He hates waiting at doctors offices. He has surgery on Tuesday and I know once they give us a time to go to the hospital there will be a wait there until the actual surgery begins. I know he will be very impatient then and he'll drive me nuts. Maybe they can gove him a sedative early LOL. He curses when he's in traffic too. I just go with the flow because I know there is nothing I can do about it. I do have the patience of a saint so my mom tells me. I can put up with a lot before I am at my breaking point.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:57 PM

Thanks for your posts...One time my older son asked me how I managed to have so much patience with him and his brother when they were small. His memory was a bit "foggy" because there were times when I "lost patience" and let one or both of them have a "piece of my mind!" But I guess I was pretty patient most of the time...Anyway my son said that it was hard for him to have patience with the people he had to train at work...He would rather just "take over" and do the job himself versus having to wait for "slow-pokes."..My son was "Mr. Fast." And "Mr. Hurry-Up!" He wasn't the best person to pick as a trainer...I tend to be "fast" when it comes to certain things too. (But not everything!)...Being a parent probably changed me a lot. I didn't want my kids to feel stupid or inferior if it took them awhile to learn new things. So I developed more patience. My son didn't have any kids.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:19 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,426 times
Most of the time, I consider myself a very patient person. But, when I get pushed past a certain point I lose my patience. I think that happens to everyone. I just think the difference lies in how long it takes for a person to lose there patience.

I think it takes me a long time to lose my patience. But, once a certain person has pushed me beyond my limit, then each time, my limit becomes a little smaller.

I hate being angry, so I've had to learn that when certain people continually push my buttons, I have to limit my contact with them until I can regain my patience and composure.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:20 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
That is hilariously funny. Because my family and friends, think I am the most impatient person in the world. However, people I work with, think that I have the patience of a saint. Who is right?

I will say...that for the people I work with, and for, I have a huge tolerance...I love my job...and my job requires a tremendous amount of patience.

But my kids, after I tell them to pick stuff up for the 3rd time...forget it!

Well, if you got to the 3rd time, that means you've got SOME patience with them!

Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 PM

When I get in the "all business mode" and focus on "jobs" that I need to do I can become a little impatient if I'm presented with a lot of "distractions." (Like having to "break-up" a "tiff" between my cats..Or having a cat "bug" me for food when it's not lunch-time yet etc.)...Sometimes it's important to stay single-focused when we have "serious deadlines" to "meet." But at other times it's not important to stay on a "strict schedule." How do you feel about it? Thanks.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:04 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
How would you rate yourself when it comes to being patient? Or impatient?...I definitely think that stress can play a role when it comes to our level and degree of patience. Don't you?
Um...going out on a limb here...YES ! Stress, impatience, it's all a ball of crazy.
On a scale of 1-10 with patience being a 10 and impatience a measley 1, I am overall a 4.
With regards to work aspects, I am an 8. With matters of love, I can move down to a freaking 2.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:24 PM

I hardly ever "lose it!" But I did this morning. Guess I just reached a "breaking-point" and the "last straw!"...My cats probably thought I had lost my "marbles!" (They were the only ones around to see me act like a "basket-case.") I kept warning them not to "bug me" for food or anything!...I pounded on my chest a few times and shouted: "Me! Me! Me! I count and matter too!"...I went through a rough week concerning my son and his medical care and insurance issues etc. Then my neighbor and friend just "up and died" unexpectedly...Guess it was just "too much" for my "system" to take! And I reached a "high stress level" or ???...And my Internet was down for hours this morning too. In the end I decided to go out. (Hoping this would help.)...People were "chatting-away" all around me in the store. But I didn't feel "part" of any of it...I decided to sit at the table outside the store before heading home. It's in a nice little "cubby-hole" off to the side...Before long the produce-manager walked over. He was on break and I guess he thought the table would be "free." He stood off to the side but said "hi." I invited him to sit down too. And he did...I've been shopping at this store for years now. I'm always happy when I run into the produce-manager because he seems so friendly and upbeat and positive every time I see him. He definitely does his job with a smile! And he puts a lot of "love and care" into all of the fruits and vegetables!...This was the first chance we've ever had to talk outside the store. I didn't tell him my "troubles!" I let his "sunny disposition" perk me up and "rub-off" on me! .. He "saved" the day for me! I left in much better "spirits!"

Old 04-28-2012, 03:29 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I hardly ever "lose it!" But I did this morning. Guess I just reached a "breaking-point" and the "last straw!"...My cats probably thought I had lost my "marbles!" (They were the only ones around to see me act like a "basket-case.") I kept warning them not to "bug me" for food or anything!...I pounded on my chest a few times and shouted: "Me! Me! Me! I count and matter too!"...I went through a rough week concerning my son and his medical care and insurance issues etc. Then my neighbor and friend just "up and died" unexpectedly...Guess it was just "too much" for my "system" to take! And I reached a "high stress level" or ???...And my Internet was down for hours this morning too. In the end I decided to go out. (Hoping this would help.)...People were "chatting-away" all around me in the store. But I didn't feel "part" of any of it...I decided to sit at the table outside the store before heading home. It's in a nice little "cubby-hole" off to the side...Before long the produce-manager walked over. He was on break and I guess he thought the table would be "free." He stood off to the side but said "hi." I invited him to sit down too. And he did...I've been shopping at this store for years now. I'm always happy when I run into the produce-manager because he seems so friendly and upbeat and positive every time I see him. He definitely does his job with a smile! And he puts a lot of "love and care" into all of the fruits and vegetables!...This was the first chance we've ever had to talk outside the store. I didn't tell him my "troubles!" I let his "sunny disposition" perk me up and "rub-off" on me! .. He "saved" the day for me! I left in much better "spirits!"
I am sorry for your troubles, CArizona! That does sound rough and you have the right to have a meltdown, in my opinion.

I'm glad that going out meant a break for you and some interaction with another person. I stayed inside almost all day today. Sometimes I just want to hide and sometimes I just don't WANT to go anywhere. Every day I have to leave the house at the crack of dawn and travel 90 minutes to get to work and not return home again under after most normal people have dinner. So sometimes I rebel and just refuse to go anywhere on a Saturday because I DON'T HAVE TO.

I do get impatient, though. Sometimes I actually yell at the ATM or the Express Checkout machines at the supermarket because they don't go fast enough. People probably think I am nuts.

But like Jasper, people at work think I am patient and easygoing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health