Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a neighbor up the street and she told me that her daughter had tried to commit suicide or anyway took 4 of her Prozac and 20 aspirins and now is "away" and going to undergo electro-shock therapy. I was horrified as I thought those days were over. I did read some info on the internet but still could not believe that is still done. I am concerned for this young lady because the place where she is, I think no one should be there. I talked with her once and she confided she had been diagnosed as bi-polar/depression. Does anyone know if this is a usual treatment? I wonder if they can force you to take it especially if you are trying to get your kids out of foster care. Probably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 11:53 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
If it's any relief, electro-shock therapy is no longer done while the patient is awake. You are put under and you don't remember a thing. It's not an exact science, some people will feel an improvement after treatment, some will not. Most lose some of their memory as a result. I'm guessing it is reserved as a last resort after all other options have been explored.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:13 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,693 times
My mom had this like 3 or 4 times in her life. She swore it was the only thing that helped her "nerves". :/

Old 07-06-2012, 12:37 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
It's not usual treatment for bi-polar!!!...Personally just the thought gives me the creeps...I think it's destructive to the brain....just my thoughts

Old 07-06-2012, 12:53 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
I believe it has changed quite a bit from what it used to be, but still find it very scary.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the input. Another neighbor mentioned about the possible memory loss. Her mother claims she doesn't know why she turned out this way but I heard that the father was put away for child molestation so........................ It is such a shame what some people end up going through in their lives. Life is not fair but some people don't realize how unfair it can be for people that just seem to fall through the cracks.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:36 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
I've had it done...back in 1989. No biggie...and it did help me out of a deep depression. They don't know why/how it works. It just does for many people.

Never heard it used for anything other than major depression.

The modern day procedure is nothling like you saw in 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.'

Old 07-07-2012, 07:07 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I was talking to a neighbor up the street and she told me that her daughter had tried to commit suicide or anyway took 4 of her Prozac and 20 aspirins and now is "away" and going to undergo electro-shock therapy. I was horrified as I thought those days were over. I did read some info on the internet but still could not believe that is still done. I am concerned for this young lady because the place where she is, I think no one should be there. I talked with her once and she confided she had been diagnosed as bi-polar/depression. Does anyone know if this is a usual treatment? I wonder if they can force you to take it especially if you are trying to get your kids out of foster care. Probably.
Pardon my bluntness here...but you are the one that sounds like they are in the dark ages. No one "forces" anyone to do the procedure. You have to sign a consent form that you freely accept the procedure on your own before each treatment. And because someone is truly at the point of depression's despair, and have tried everything else, they are willing to try ECT, if it means relief. Once the patient starts to feel the depression relieving, after suffering months or years through it, they WANT the treatments.

It is a medically-recognized treatment, performed under the utmost medically-supevised setting, similar to a surgical procedure.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Pardon my bluntness here...but you are the one that sounds like they are in the dark ages. No one "forces" anyone to do the procedure. You have to sign a consent form that you freely accept the procedure on your own before each treatment. And because someone is truly at the point of depression's despair, and have tried everything else, they are willing to try ECT, if it means relief. Once the patient starts to feel the depression relieving, after suffering months or years through it, they WANT the treatments.

It is a medically-recognized treatment, performed under the utmost medically-supevised setting, similar to a surgical procedure.
I am not sure everything else was tried. We are talking about a young lady who was put on a drug that has suicide as a definite side-effect for some people. The local mental health clinic caters mostly to Medicaid recipients and passes out pills like candy. I have heard they have diagnosed 1/2 the town with bi-polar. What's the chances? She was home early so maybe they decided to not do these treatments but I did not ask. I see this clinic addict people to medications and put people in the emergency room so you got to wonder. Have Medicaid card? They'll find something to sell ya'! So many people don't have health insurance now that at least with a Medicaid card, some cash is better than none. I have little use for the "medical" establishment as a whole.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:22 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
I had 13 treatments when I was 16...they wanted to do more, but I refused. They don't hurt, but it was scary. And, the memory loss can be considerable. I've lost years worth of memories, and still have a bit of trouble with short-term stuff, if I don't really concentrate on what I NEED to remember!

But, it is an acceptable form of treatment. This should be between the patient and their doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health