Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it wrong to not help a suicidal person?
Yes 6 18.75%
No 9 28.13%
Depends (please explain) 13 40.63%
Yes (unless it's for the terminally ill) 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 03:32 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Yes, I strongly feel that you should stop someone who is considering suicide, the one exception may be someone who has a terminal illness and has consulted and confirmed it with their doctors and has discussed their plans with all of their family members.

It is not just the person who dies who is affected. My daughter's best friend killed himself at age 16. He suffocated himself with a plastic bag and ziptie on a Thursday night. His parents found him the next morning. My daughter blamed herself for not insisting that he stay on the phone with her when he sort of "blow her off" during a phone conversation on Thursday afternoon. Many other friends of his also blamed themselves.

My daughter was so devastated that we had to watch her very carefully for the next months because of her sudden, serious depression. It is now eight and a half years later and, until very recently, his death was still a part of her daily life (sort of like PTS). His death still greatly effects her mental health. He has several other close friends who also have PTS type problems or started having problems with serious depression after his death.

And, needless to say, his parents and siblings were and are heartbroken.
Athough, D. had been battling depression for some time when he took his own life there was no immediate warning.

In fact, he had made numerous advanced plans to do things with friends (as was his nature). He had plans to meet with my daughter on Saturday and had tickets to go to a concent with a friend for his friend's birthday the next week, etc. As far as anyone knows nothing out of the ordinary happened that week or that Thursday and no one has any idea why he did it.

I don't know why D. did what he did but everytime my daughter calls me up at 3 o'clock in the morning crying I wonder if things wouldn't have been different if he would have had the courage to continue living rather than taking his own life that night. We wish that he would have reached out and gotten help.

I strongly believe that people who are considering suicide should seek help. What may seem like a shattered life today, this week, this month or even this year may be able to be repaired. That is why people should help keep others from committing suicide.

Suicide/Death is a permanent solution to what is usually a temporary problem. That is why others need to help them as much as they can to prevent death.

so you think this person who committed suicide had an obligation to continue living due to the fact that your daughter was prone to after effects , thats incredibly selfish

oh and " suicide is a permanent solution to an temporary problem " is a banal cliche which people who no nothing about mental illness parrot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 03:37 PM

[quote=germaine2626;25699945]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
What if they genuinely don't wish to live. Should we force them to stay alive against their will?[/quote]

I believe that there are far too many people (especially children and teens) that make hasty, unplanned decisions to kill themselves. Yes, we should we force them to stay alive against their will until they can make informed, adult decisions while they are healthy.

There was another suicide that affected a family member of mine. The teen was probably feeling overwhelmed. Her friends knew that she was "feeling a little down" but no one imagined that she would murder herself. My relative was with her just a few hours before her friend drove off a bridge at a high speed, and didn't suspect a thing. The police were 100% sure that it was an intentional suicide and that the girl had removed her seatbelt and aimed for the edge of the bridge while pushing her foot to the accelerator.

Although, the teen was a good student she had recently got a B on a test and only won a silver medal (not a gold) at a state competition. She did not tell her parents, teachers or friends that she was depressed.

My relative suspects that it was a spur-of-the-moment decision. Those are the type of situations that are the most tragic. To die because she had received a B on one test and only a silver medal in a tough state competition? It was especially sad because if she would have waited until Monday she would have found out that everyone could take a re-test to improve their grade (as everyone did poorly on that test).

Now her parents are childless, the school & world lost a bright, talented student and her parents, friends and teachers blamed themselves for not noticing that anything was wrong.

Yes, we should we force children, teens and people with mental health problems to stay alive against their will until they can make informed, adult decisions while they are healthy.

its idiotic to think anyone commits suicide for feckless and flippant reasons , no one has ever committed suicide without a very good reason , it is thee most earnest descision anyone can make and those who do are scarily self aware and in touch with reality , its as real as it gets , opposition to suicide is a societal construct which runs deep in western society , most people condemn it outright without thinking , i believe the world would be better if more people committed suicide , its usually good people who do it , troublemakers perfer to direct thier anger and pain outwards towards the rest of the world , suicide is not a selfish act , it is a selfless act

Old 08-19-2012, 10:16 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
One of the top reasons for suicide is access to guns. And familiarity with guns. Which is why many military and police officers are a high risk group. There are other causes, I have a not politically correct opinion, which I keep to myself, is that folks who gravitate towards those fields have issues already. And being exposed to stress, with low pay, is part of the problem as well.

Sometimes these people reach out, and those folks can be helped with cognitive behavorial therapy. There is validity, that CBT can help suicidal people change their thought patterns.
I recall reading in some paper that a plus regarding gun control in Australia has been the decline of suicides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
its nothing but a cliche to think that if you hang on long enough , things will only get better , up there with " you make your own luck "

i see absolutley nothing wrong with suicide and actually have great admiration for those who exhibit such absolute control over their own circumstances , i especially dislike those who see it as their duty to prevent people from ending their own life for fear god might be annoyed , those people are control freaks
Nothing to do with god IMO. The thing is for most people depression and mental illness can be treated. ...ending your life, because things aren't great, in one moment is final. Life keeps moving. things can get better. I know it sounds cliche, but... its true.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:14 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
Just because you may believe that life could be better for them doesn't give you the right to force them to see it out.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:31 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Why should I get myself in a mess because someone else wants to kill themselves? People are handed death sentences everyday in doctors' offices, hospitals, etc, who would give anything to live. I would rather spend my time on them, than worry about some joker who's mian accomplishment in life was ending it So go ahead, I don't give a flip!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I recall reading in some paper that a plus regarding gun control in Australia has been the decline of suicides.

Nothing to do with god IMO. The thing is for most people depression and mental illness can be treated. ...ending your life, because things aren't great, in one moment is final. Life keeps moving. things can get better. I know it sounds cliche, but... its true.
its true for some , its untrue for others , i tried to commit suicide for the first time in 1999 , my life is no better today than it was back then , the only thing that has changed is my standards have lowered along with my tollerance for personal failure

Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Why should I get myself in a mess because someone else wants to kill themselves? People are handed death sentences everyday in doctors' offices, hospitals, etc, who would give anything to live. I would rather spend my time on them, than worry about some joker who's mian accomplishment in life was ending it So go ahead, I don't give a flip!
ending your own life is a significant achievment , for everyone that manages it , at least ten others simply become contributors to the multi billion dollar pill and therapy industry

Old 08-20-2012, 10:30 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
ending your own life is a significant achievment , for everyone that manages it , at least ten others simply become contributors to the multi billion dollar pill and therapy industry
^^^^^^^^^^

Just that in my lifetime, I've known many people making valiant struggles to keep going, despite fatal diseases. I'd rather help them, than "help" some drama queen seeking attention. I'm not putting myself in front of the bus. You wouldn't do anyone any good, they would just go off and try it again. Also, you could be charged for interferring. I read about somebody, somewhere---sorry, don't have details---but this guy tried to stop someone from suicide. Instead, she ended up in bad shape, on machines, etc---they sued the Good Samaritan for interferring. If he hadn't come along, she would have died

Old 08-20-2012, 12:36 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
^^^^^^^^^^

Just that in my lifetime, I've known many people making valiant struggles to keep going, despite fatal diseases. I'd rather help them, than "help" some drama queen seeking attention. I'm not putting myself in front of the bus. You wouldn't do anyone any good, they would just go off and try it again. Also, you could be charged for interferring. I read about somebody, somewhere---sorry, don't have details---but this guy tried to stop someone from suicide. Instead, she ended up in bad shape, on machines, etc---they sued the Good Samaritan for interferring. If he hadn't come along, she would have died
Seems like that woman was serious about suicide. She was not a drama queen. Drama queens don't go through with it. They just throw suicide out there to cheap sympathy.

Last edited by Ro2113; 08-20-2012 at 01:15 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 05:12 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
its true for some , its untrue for others , i tried to commit suicide for the first time in 1999 , my life is no better today than it was back then , the only thing that has changed is my standards have lowered along with my tollerance for personal failure
Yeah, for some if it's a chemical imbalance it's tormenting.

I'm sorry you feel that not much has improved for you in that time.... It is different for everyone. That doesn't mean life won't change again though (improve)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Seems like that woman was serious about suicide. She was not a drama queen. Drama queens don't go through with it. They just throw suicide out there to cheap sympathy.
I don't agree. It's also a significant and very loud cry for help.

Last edited by artemis agrotera; 08-21-2012 at 06:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health