Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it wrong to not help a suicidal person?
Yes 6 18.75%
No 9 28.13%
Depends (please explain) 13 40.63%
Yes (unless it's for the terminally ill) 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:41 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,673,467 times

Advertisements

What I mean is that I believe that everyone has a right to die. I also believe that everyone has a right to have peace if it only concerns one's self. Suicide is at the end of the day only terminating your own life. Why should I convince someone not to take an option that would give them what they want just because I would miss them? I think that's odd on my part. I bet my view is in the minority. It may be considered unethical because it goes against the grain for the "normal" man but I don't think it's wrong. I've added a poll to help organize the opinions. I don't think anyone has to remain alive for the sake of anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 09:31 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,228,309 times
I said it depends.

So far as a person helping someone else or not (for anything), maybe they do not know what to say or do. Or may not feel comfortable helping another person with something. May not be able to help. That is fine to not help if you can't.

And so far as not helping because someone believes other people should be able to do as they wish, I think that is fine as well. I think people are entitled to have their own personal beliefs. I don't think anyone should be obligated to help someone else.*

So far as I am concerned, it depends on the situation. If it is someone who is in a bad situation and has had limited experiences in life, it is my belief that they could do all sorts of different things and go on to be quite happy. Life is open to ANYTHING! That would include quitting a job, selling all personal possessions, and becoming a homeless bum who rides trains and sees the county! Some of those people don't have a care in the world and are quite happy. All sorts of possibilities - variety is the spice of life. So I would suggest they at least try something different before giving up.

As for people posting here that they are depressed, etc., sometimes I see these posts and see that no one has replied. I try to reply to those. I think it would suck to be down and out, post a message asking for help, then not have anyone reply. But I only reply if I have some helpful advice to give.

*Note my state has a law that if you see a car accident happen, you are obligated to stop and help. I could (and would) certainly stop and at least call 911. I could maybe help direct traffic. But I am not a medical doctor, so I would not feel comfortable doing much else. If someone was bleeding and I was the only one there, I would also try to slow down or stop the bleeding until someone more knowledgeable arrived. But I wouldn't know what I was doing!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:03 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,232,187 times
It is difficult to generalize "Suicidal" people. Drama Seekers, are constantly taking pills, and telling people that they are suicidal, those people drive me crazy. I am like, "Take a bottle, and don't call me". Then, there are the impulsive ones, who just got dumped by their GF, or BF, or lost their job, whatever, and they feel like their lives are over, they also drive me crazy, because anything you suggest to improve their lives, they shoot down. These folks, usually attempt suicide, and mess it up, and end up blind or paraplegic. Another group, are the ones who are the losers, or loners, whose lives, are like a countrywestern song, just everything has crashed on them, and they want out. Those are the quiet ones, who usually are serious about suicide. They don't talk about it, and when they do it, they don't mess it up.

As for trying to stop suicidal people, they need mental health treatment. You can't help folks, who don't want help.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:21 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,076,621 times
I think it would be wrong not to help, or at least get someone involved who can help. If one of my friends or family members came to me and told me they were suicidal, I wouldn't just shrug my shoulders and think oh well, I'll miss them, but it's their choice.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:27 PM

25,669 posts, read 21,832,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is difficult to generalize "Suicidal" people. Drama Seekers, are constantly taking pills, and telling people that they are suicidal, those people drive me crazy. I am like, "Take a bottle, and don't call me". Then, there are the impulsive ones, who just got dumped by their GF, or BF, or lost their job, whatever, and they feel like their lives are over, they also drive me crazy, because anything you suggest to improve their lives, they shoot down. These folks, usually attempt suicide, and mess it up, and end up blind or paraplegic. Another group, are the ones who are the losers, or loners, whose lives, are like a countrywestern song, just everything has crashed on them, and they want out. Those are the quiet ones, who usually are serious about suicide. They don't talk about it, and when they do it, they don't mess it up.

As for trying to stop suicidal people, they need mental health treatment. You can't help folks, who don't want help.
I couldn't rep you on this but you have it down to a science.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:16 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,232,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I couldn't rep you on this but you have it down to a science.
Thank you. Sadly, I guess, maybe I have had a lot of experience with folks down and out, or mentally ill.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:50 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,775,848 times
Quote:
Suicide is at the end of the day only terminating your own life.
I gather no one is your family has committed suicide?

Old 08-16-2012, 06:57 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,540,136 times
If you are aware that someone is suicidal, chances are they want you to know they are suicidal. Therefore, maybe they our reaching out for some sort of help.

The thing about suicide is, usually people become suicidal when they see no relief in sight in regard to certain problems that they are experiencing. I can't help but think that if you hang on long enough, things will get better.

That being said, I realize it may not be the case in every situation. But, for the most part, I think the only acceptable reason to consider suicide would be terminal illness. But that's just me. I haven't walked in the shoes of every person who feels hopeless.

I do feel strongly that if a person says something that indicates they are thinking about suicide,we shouldn't just shrug our shoulders and leave them be. As I mentioned, if they are letting you know, then they are likely indirectly asking for a bit of help. I personally could not live with myself if I didn't at least try to help them through their struggle and try to help them see that things can get better.

Do I believe it's right to flat out prevent someone from doing what they will? No. Everyone has a right to do what they want. But, if you care about the person, you should at least help them consider all sides of the situation.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:05 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,540,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

You brought up some great examples. This is why I selected "it depends". You mentioned some scenarios which I've witnessed and you are right that some of these people can't be helped, or they are just looking for attention.

I do think it's important though, for us to also keep in mind the ones who are "on the fence". Maybe they aren't sure they want to end their life, but they are feeling really hopeless. When they drop these hints, they may be looking for a sign that someone out there thinks they matter. Those are the people that I worry about most. Those are the people I wouldn't want to turn my back on. The once that maybe could have been saved if only someone had taken a moment to let them know they matter.

There are so many different scenarios when it comes to people who are "suicidal". And different degrees of how serious they are.

I also want to mention that suicide can be a very selfish act. It might be the easy way out, but a person can do a lot of damage to those they leave behind by giving up.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:15 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,268,755 times
I think if you know, or receive hints it looks likely, one should do everything they can to help. If the help wasn't sufficient and the person goes through with it, one cannot blame him/herself.

I personally do not know anyone who has done it. I only know of acquaintances in the same school(s) that have done it. I also know of a house in our neighborhood were their kid did it, but that's before we moved in. I also know that my parents had friends with a son that did it, though that occurred long before my parents met them. I would have never suspected that would have happened in that family because the parents looked so "tranquil." That one was interesting. How did I find out? People talking about other people, essentially gossiping, at a table at a wedding reception. Kind of tacky and TMI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health