U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:09 AM

105 posts, read 554,521 times

Advertisements

Has anyone experience with taking the name brand Ativan on a regular basis? Have you noticed that each time you renew your prescription you feel different?

I ask this because I take the name brand Ativan to sleep. Some batches work great and I sleep like a baby. Then sometimes when I reorder, I have sleep disruptions and I don't wake up feeling refreshed.

My last script was great. Now I just renewed and I've been having the worst night sleep. This batch is definitely different from others. At first I thought it was my body getting used to the drug but then when I had the pharmacy reorder from their warehouse, the batch was fine. I've been in touch with the manufacturer and they swear they make it the same.

I'm just curious to know if anyone has had this experience and what to do about it? This is the only thing that makes me sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 12:01 PM

22,539 posts, read 46,132,102 times
Ativan is used for anxiety and is habit-forming. In my opinion - so take it for what it is worth - folks are far better off taking something like trazadone for sleep. It's what I take and it works. Non-habit forming and it doesn't make me drowsy the next day.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:40 PM

1,260 posts, read 4,540,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Ativan is used for anxiety and is habit-forming. In my opinion - so take it for what it is worth - folks are far better off taking something like trazadone for sleep. It's what I take and it works. Non-habit forming and it doesn't make me drowsy the next day.
I thought trazadone was habit forming too....

Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 PM

6,209 posts, read 6,592,616 times
I have read where pharmacies have been guilty of purchasing meds off the black market. I've also heard several pharmacies end up with counterfeit drugs on their shelves through no fault of their own.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I've tried trazadone before and unfortunately, it did not work for me. Curious to know how many mg you use. It wasn't very long lasting and was up for most of the night. I remember not feeling great from it.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:34 PM

22,539 posts, read 46,132,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
I thought trazadone was habit forming too....
Nope. Not even close. It is a serotonin modulator.

Trazodone - PubMed Health

Ativan is often abused and used for anxiety. I know someone that claims she takes it for sleep. She also claims that she doesn't see a doc on a regular basis. That means she is getting it through other means...

I use to work in a pharmacy, you get to know the abused drugs.

Greenchili, I take 50 mg a night. I've taken it off and on for about 15 years.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Nope. Not even close. It is a serotonin modulator.

Trazodone - PubMed Health

Ativan is often abused and used for anxiety. I know someone that claims she takes it for sleep. She also claims that she doesn't see a doc on a regular basis. That means she is getting it through other means...

I use to work in a pharmacy, you get to know the abused drugs.

Greenchili, I take 50 mg a night. I've taken it off and on for about 15 years.
Hmm,well I take Lexapro so I couldnt take it anyway. I see a dr. on a regular basis tho..lol. I take
1/2 to 1 mg at night. We all pick our own poison..

Old 08-27-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Hmm,well I take Lexapro so I couldnt take it anyway. I see a dr. on a regular basis tho..lol. I take
1/2 to 1 mg at night. We all pick our own poison..
So true! Do you take Lexapro to sleep? I've tried many things and the ativan worked like a charm. And, although I agree that it is habit forming, I do go to a dr. and I only take it for sleep. I wish I didn't have to but I went through a period of not sleeping for months and I could not function. We need our sleep

Old 08-27-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceful2 View Post
So true! Do you take Lexapro to sleep? I've tried many things and the ativan worked like a charm. And, although I agree that it is habit forming, I do go to a dr. and I only take it for sleep. I wish I didn't have to but I went through a period of not sleeping for months and I could not function. We need our sleep
No, I take Lexapro for tinnitus and the resulting despair i felt from it! It works! Lex keeps the tinnitus at a very low and sometimes non-existant level. I take Ativan for sleep too. Dont feel bad,ya do what ya gotta do,especially during menopause like myself! WIthout sleep,the tinnitus is worse,so I guess you could say I take it for that also! Ive thought about trying other meds,but figure they all are habit forming! Ive done Ambien,and Lunesta and its no good. Ive thought about Gabapentin,,,not sure. I might ask dr. next visit.But
figure im on such a low dose of Ativan(1/2 mg) that its not that bad. BUT, I do think the Lexapro helps
with sleep a little bit too!

Greenchili

Old 08-27-2012, 01:25 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,558,430 times
i also have a script for generic ativan, .5 mg. i take it maybe 1x per week for anxiety. i greatly helps with sleep when i am anxious. as far as the next morning, sometimes i wake up feeling fine. other times i am serously groggy. someone had recommended trying valerian root instead of using a benzo. i may try that once i run out of ativan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or