Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 12:39 AM

207 posts, read 535,478 times

Advertisements

All of my life I have had a learning disability and right now I am terrible at my job
I do the best that I can but my supervisors have a hard time understanding what I am
saying and I am so friggin slow most of the time and right now I am 28 and it's taking
it's toll on me... I try to distract myself my doing task but then i don't complete.. for example
like reading a book some I can't finish a book, finish my yard work... it seems like I cannot function
in society with a job. And I am always depressed. Do you think I can get disability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 08:38 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Nope, I doubt you will get disability. You may need to go to Vocational Rehabilitation, and have a vocational assessment, to determine the best job for you.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:33 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,782,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
All of my life I have had a learning disability and right now I am terrible at my job
I do the best that I can but my supervisors have a hard time understanding what I am
saying and I am so friggin slow most of the time and right now I am 28 and it's taking
it's toll on me... I try to distract myself my doing task but then i don't complete.. for example
like reading a book some I can't finish a book, finish my yard work... it seems like I cannot function
in society with a job. And I am always depressed. Do you think I can get disability?
Like pretty much everything in life, getting disability is all about luck. You could try and get lucky. I know some folks who are in better shape than me and have gotten it for life.
Don't feel bad about not finishing books. I don't finish them either because I've found 99 percent of them to be incredibly boring.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:37 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,782,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Nope, I doubt you will get disability. You may need to go to Vocational Rehabilitation, and have a vocational assessment, to determine the best job for you.
Is this one of those magical local government agencies that people suggest and then you look into it and find that it doesn't exist or if it does exist you must own nothing before they will help you?

Old 10-02-2012, 02:29 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
Is this one of those magical local government agencies that people suggest and then you look into it and find that it doesn't exist or if it does exist you must own nothing before they will help you?
I don't know what state the OP is dealing with but this is a link for Kansas which should give the OP a starting point.

Find State Disability Assistance in Kansas - State Disability Resources in Kansas

If everyone with such problems as the OP got on disability, there would not be enough taxpayers paying into the system to support them!

Old 10-02-2012, 02:34 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
Is there a medication that you can take to help with what may be ADD or ADHD? Also, is there any sort of therapy that can help you with the learning aspect and teaching you how to organize better and finish your tasks at hand in a more timely manner? Disability supplements are not always the best or first answer to a learning disorder. I am dyslexic and OCD and I learned what I needed to do to overcome these disabilities without the drugs or the therapy but that is just me and what worked for me. I learned what I need to do to ensure I get things done. I HAVE to have a list of tasks that need to be completed and I do the first task on the list from start to finish then I do the next one and so on. I can barely function in an environment that is completely chaotic and disorganized, thankfully my husband completely understands this and he is very good about putting things back where he got them from, helping me keep the chores around our home done and things put away where they belong.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:42 PM

399 posts, read 854,484 times
Without knowing what is exactly the cause of your disability I've had some experience as a parent on the subject. First of all have you seen a doctor to explore the possibility of medication. Sometimes it helps the person work towards overcoming the affliction. My daughter, who is also 28, just started nursing school and to study she is taking medication that best helps her concentrate. Her boyfriend cannot hold a conversation for the life of him without straying onto other unrelated topics. He starts a project and can never finish. He has taken our advice and gone to a doctor for evaluation. But the best one of all is my oldest daughter. She is 32 and all through school she was having "space outs" which turned out to be progressive epilepsy. During the early years and through her college years she always had to learn everything twice because of being left behind by these episodes. Like watching a movie halfway through and never knowing the ending because your mind is absent and won't conform. After much hard work and medication with the right doctor she graduated from two colleges, works 2 different jobs, and is now driving everywhere. I would suggest you get some help if possible. It's difficult to do it all on your own. But by all means do not give up. There's a much better world out there for you once you start moving forward with a positive attitude. Good Luck!

Old 10-02-2012, 07:10 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,787,328 times
OP, I would think of trying to get disability as giving up on life. There are other things you could do and it sounds like your current job is a poor fit. Do they know you have LD? If so, have they accommodated you any at all? Or did they pat you on the head and say, "That's nice dear, now go read this 2000 page manual"? If they don't know, have you thought of talking to your boss and explaining? I don't necessarily recommend this as few people know anything at all about LD and many assume that it means low intelligence, which it does not. However, depending on your boss, it might be an option. If not, like someone said, do some vocational searching. There are plenty of great websites and friends with similar problems may have some ideas.

For me, w/o LD but with ADD, I found that the best job is one where I move around a lot and fly by the seat of my pants--they love my flexibility! I doubt I'll ever be overpaid but I love what I do right now, working with ELL students at a large high school. Most of the TA's there are highly intelligent and have LD b/c it's a job we can excel in. I have a friend who got a job with a major airline working the ticket counter and that was one she did very well in and then she went on to start a bread baking business.

Meds are completely up to you and maybe won't even help that much, but taking fish oil and B-vitamins has been a huge help for me. Low sugar diet and plenty of exercise could help too or at least keep the depression at bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health