Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMtns View Post
Well said...and while it seems so simple, this philosophy makes a lot of sense. It would also explain why antidepressant meds would work when used on a temporary basis--they assist you in stopping the negative thoughts, and you can adjust your future thinking and potentially raise your seratonin levels..."curing" the depression.
Interesting.
I wonder if this is what happened with my friends?
One was stressed out with juggling work and school, another fell down in the dumps after a job loss--they were all such diverse stories, and two of them were people who I never ever thought would develop depression.
All I know is that all but one stopped the meds long ago, and the amount of time they were taking the valium (or whatever it was) was maybe 3-6 months. FWIW, they were, at the time, all under the age of 30, so it's not like it was some sort of midlife crisis.
Quote:
There is a reason your brain is suffering from depression, and that reason is not that you are suffering from a deficiency of Paxil.
Yes, of course.
But I do think our bodies can operate on a chemical basis, so to speak.
For example, fluctuating hormones are a very real feeling, whether for a 16 year old boy or a 52 year old woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 07:59 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
dragonten wrote:
When I am depressed,I would take a long walk
Walking rocks! My most effective means of alleviating funky, down-in-the-dumps moods is taking nature walks. Being out in nature is a powerful means of mood alteration for me, especially when I'm walking in the healing vibrations of the Colorado National Monument a few miles from my front door. I can feel the healing vibes emanating from those fabulous red rock formations.

Dragon...congratulations on reaching 1000 reputation points. You now have a golden reputation and you have the gold brick ( ) to prove it.

JeepGirl118 wrote:
Lean Cuisine or Weight Watchers foods - does not constitute "healthy." It's a bunch of chemicals.
Foods is a misnomer! It's a bunch of chemicals just like you say, but I would also add that it is just pure crap. How any sane person can consider eating chemical crap food like that to be healthy is beyond my comprehension.

blessings...Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 10-11-2007 at 08:10 AM..

Old 10-11-2007, 02:16 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,369,958 times
It isn't that people "pop a pill" and are magically better!! That is a terribly judgemental comment. No one chooses to be depressed. Have you sat and listened to anyone on these "Magic pills" you are referring to? You may be suprised if you took the time to listen to what is happening in their life. I've listened to a lot of the stories and they are sad! A lot of people are on these med's because they NEED the help!

I agree that there shouldn't be commercials on TV for them. I agree that a lot of people are lazy and don't try to help themselves. They expect that pill to magically cure them. They are going to be sadly disappointed. People need to take an active role in their health - mental and physical. There are a lot of things you can do naturally to help with depression (and other ailments) that people are not doing before they go to a doctor.

Just don't come down so hard on the ones who really do need the medication. Their lives are hard enough without being judged. You never know what's happening with someone until you walk in their shoes.

Last edited by treeg26; 10-11-2007 at 02:40 PM..

Old 10-11-2007, 04:27 PM

558 posts, read 2,248,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
Just don't come down so hard on the ones who really do need the medication. Their lives are hard enough without being judged. You never know what's happening with someone until you walk in their shoes.
The truest words ever! Some people go through their whole lives thinking, no matter what happens, "I can handle this"...and then the unthinkable happens, and medication could be one of many things that allow them to survive emotionally.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:46 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I so agree with the above post regarding walking. I get depressed and I think it is only normal that we humans do. There is something to be said for learning to handle the challenges life throws at you without turning to drugs. I feel stronger for it and walking is part of the therapy. I know several 30 something people that I have recently become aquainted with and they do look like walking souless zombies.

Some challenges are too much for any of us and when the unthinkable does happen then there are times that one might turn to medications. It does just seem that today doctors throw these pills at little ills and not the bigger ones.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:22 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,873,009 times
I am highly depressed and anti-depressants weren't helping me. I was on Zoloft and then Lexapro neither helped. Maybe I wasn't on a high enough dosage who knows. I'm not anything now because I don't have health insurance anymore.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:46 AM

531 posts, read 1,743,507 times
I think too many doctors push them,then people get addicted to them,or at least dependent. There seems to be more of a push to give people them than in the past.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:08 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
But then you see people who refuse to take any meds but they'll smoke or drink martinis and wine every night to self medicate. Life is not easy !!!!
THANK you!!!!!!!! No one mentions this! I agree with the fact that the drug companies are out of control, but how many of you who seem to "look down on" (for lack of better wording) those who "pop pills" actually wake up to daily coffee? Hmmm? How many smoke? How many have a glass of wine or a beer to "relax"? There are probably WAAAAY more people addicted to coffee, cigarettes & alcohol than anti depressants!
Just something to consider...

Old 10-12-2007, 06:39 AM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Isn't life more depressing now than ever? Its faster paced, less free time.

I don't know it could be my situation but the economy and job market has forced me to move from MI, the state I love, to AZ, my own personal hell. I am trying to juggle school work and my gf, which comes to to 55-60 hours a week without studying or commuting thrown in. My schedule only allows me to work the night shift at the hospital, I only make enough to live paycheck to paycheck and eat ramen and PB and J or whatever is on sale.

Last year when I was a teacher in an unbearable situation (8 classes a day, 250 kids a day) I had frequent thoughts about suicide. Now I only think about it every now and then. The stress causes this constant pressure in my chest. I have thought about seeing a doctor but I have no benefits because I can't afford them and I am afraid of some dependency. I have a feeling I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Things I feel that would improve my situation:

Better student aid so I don't have to work so much(I'm trying to get into medical school and become a doctor and work in rural/low income areas)

Moving back to Michigan (I never wanted to leave but the economy forced me to move somewhere I can get a job)

A better balance between rent/housing and wages. I read a U.S. News and World Report article about the housing bubble and how the median home prices used to be 4 times the median income, now its eight times? Where'd all that extra value come from? If there was more balance between the two it wouldn't be near impossible to pay the bills.

Wow, looking at this it seems depressing and I'm bitching. I guess my answer to the whole antidepressents question is that our lives and culture seems to becoming more fast paced and higher pressure in order to compete in the global marketplace, and maybe its not right. Maybe we should start working towards policies that give us more time with our families so we can be happier and get more fullfillment instead of work work work just to get by.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:22 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I guess my answer to the whole antidepressents question is that our lives and culture seems to becoming more fast paced and higher pressure in order to compete in the global marketplace, and maybe its not right. Maybe we should start working towards policies that give us more time with our families so we can be happier and get more fullfillment instead of work work work just to get by.
I completely agree with this, but some people would think such an opinion is unAmerican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health