Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2013, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,308 times

Advertisements

Long story short...I recently lost my job to no fault of my own. I have searched for employment in and out of the state. I almost have my B.S in computers and have several senior level certifications. Still can't find work.

I am married to a loving partner. I have no friends, family, or prior co-workers I can ask for assistance. We can survive for about 6 months without any income, but I feel so worthless at this point. Like what's the point? I thought I was doing the right things by studying and trying to better myself, but I have nothing to show for it.

Everyday I see people less educated/skilled working jobs which makes me feel like "Nobody needs me?" I apologize, but I just sit in the house everyday and have no enjoyment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 10:51 PM

5,513 posts, read 6,115,771 times
It's very hard to say whether you are depressed (especially since I am not a clinician). In your siuation I think most people would feel somewhat down and discouraged, at least from time to time. My sister has major depression and my husband has bipolar depression. With them, they will sometimes feel worthless and like nothing is going right even when they are employed and surrounded by loving friends and family. If you can afford it, seeing a therapist may help you get through this patch and hlp determine whether it is actual depression or the natural reaction to your circumstances. Either way, I wish you the best.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:26 AM

288 posts, read 716,218 times
It took me four months to find a new job after being self-employed for three years. It was somehow very difficult to convince employers to hire me. I'm in the technology field as well.

I say to hang in there and keep trying. One thing you can do is get some things up on the web. Do you have a portfolio? How about a website with your resume? Although I am apprehensive about using them, you could try using a recruiter to help you find a job. Ask them to review your resume and provide recommendations on what you can do to improve your skills and knowledge to be most compatible with today's jobs. Also update your Linked-In profile if you have one. Create one if you don't have one yet. Provide a clear summary of your skills and that you are seeking employment.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:05 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,354,560 times
See a doc about getting some prozac or something similar. It will help restore some energy and lift your spirits some. You don't have to take it forever, but it can really help when you need the energy to function, when you just want to go to bed. And when I say that, it won't make you feel like you're on speed or high or anything, you'll just find after about 10 days to 2 weeks, that you are getting up and making coffee and acting more proactive again.

Why not consider getting student loans and continuing on with school? You didn't finish your BS, and obviously the job market is tough for someone without the degrees. It will give you some income, and you will feel like you are moving forward for your career. Plus, if you're paying on student loans now, they will be deferred while you are back in school.

With your great partner, you may not even need a therapist. And I can tell you from experience, a bad therapist can make things worse lol! You can get prozac from your regular doctor. If you're not sleeping, ask about a sleep aid, too. I would advise against Ambien. I personally was one of those people who went sleepwalking when I took it, and it was really hard to quit. Addicting. You might want to try trazadone (sp?) It's a mild anti-depressant that can help you sleep, that you take at night.

Best wishes!

Old 01-04-2014, 02:29 PM

260 posts, read 471,541 times
I would think it's understandable to be depressed if you lost a job, so if you didn't feel down prior, it might be more of a situational depression that will improve when you find work again.
Could you try and make the most of your current situation by taking time to do things you enjoy eg rent movies or go to the movies, go for walks around somewhere pretty or interesting, books from a library, meetup groups?
If you feel too depressed to do anything at all then maybe talk to your doctor.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:42 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,945,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downs1 View Post
Long story short...I recently lost my job to no fault of my own. I have searched for employment in and out of the state. I almost have my B.S in computers and have several senior level certifications. Still can't find work.

I am married to a loving partner. I have no friends, family, or prior co-workers I can ask for assistance. We can survive for about 6 months without any income, but I feel so worthless at this point. Like what's the point? I thought I was doing the right things by studying and trying to better myself, but I have nothing to show for it.

Everyday I see people less educated/skilled working jobs which makes me feel like "Nobody needs me?" I apologize, but I just sit in the house everyday and have no enjoyment.
Just realize that your situation is temporary and that it will pass. You will find a job and pick back up. Don't give him. If anything, have faith that you will find a job and enjoy your time. If you keep looking and relax, a job will come. To answer your question, you sound down and might be slightly depressed, but with the right attitude that can change. I don't recommend medication at all, as that's the artificial route. Rather, you need to wait for a job to fill that void in your life. That is, unless your being down is what is preventing you from finding a job, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:48 PM

209 posts, read 464,815 times
Situational depression. Rejection is right up there with grief as a cause. Rejection is bad for the body and the mind if internalized Best advice I can come up with is this: Practice putting yourself in the position of being rejected over and over again. This is just what looking for job is, isn't it? Get going, loose the comparisons, and take a job, any you can find if it bridges the gap to your next employment that actualizes your skills.

Been standing right where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health