U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:01 PM

346 posts, read 529,150 times

Advertisements

...or classical...but I can't say enough about Jeff's voice...some covers, some originals; but it's healing.

I particularly like this one:

Jeff Buckley - Calling You - Live at Sin- - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 07:37 PM

7,685 posts, read 8,994,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
When I'm down, Irish celtic folk always brings me out of it. I think its the under laying strength in the music. Its music of people who had troubles, but chiose to go on and dance anyway. I have a whole collection on the computer which gets played through the good speakers with the tv setup when I have to do boring things since then they don't get noticed.

Music is said to have a direct brain connection, much as color does. Drumming, for instance, is found universally, and has the same effect of pulling people together. I think part of what can pull us out of a sinkhole is dependent on the music itself and how it connects and our own memories and meanings. And what we like, of course.
That's my music of choice too. I think the reason I love it so much is the contrast between the minor key and the dance beat--sort of like sugar and salt together. I love African folk for the same reason and esp love the following vid when I'm down.

I have also noticed the brain connection and one day as I was listening to a really beautiful song it occurred to me that beautiful (to you) music probably activates the same part of the brain as falling in love does.

richard bona dipama (cameroun) - YouTube

Old 12-21-2012, 11:54 PM

7,290 posts, read 5,307,671 times
If I feel a bad mood coming on and it is convenient, going to YouTube and searching for "healing music" or "healing sounds" or "music to raise your vibration" works WONDERS for me - it literally changes my vibration . . .(music is vibration and we are more than 70% water).

I wouldn't think heavy metal would help one's mood.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:52 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,287,930 times
I love energetic, upbeat dance music when I am feeling low or high or whatever.

What I really detest, ESPECIALLY when I'm feeling down, is "Holiday"-themed music. Especially that one that goes "It's the most wonderful time of the year".

Old 12-22-2012, 03:59 AM

1 posts, read 235 times
Cool View from the Box

I think of music as a language. So as you listen to music let it talk to you. Each note or chord is speaking. The fact that you don't know how it makes you feel the song has still made an impression on you. I've always believed that music (no matter what genre) stronger than even the sent of freshly baked bread, can bring up a feeling or a memory.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:19 AM

7,685 posts, read 8,994,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

I wouldn't think heavy metal would help one's mood.
It depends on what you like. It wouldn't help mine but not everyone is the same.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:55 PM

7,290 posts, read 5,307,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
It depends on what you like. It wouldn't help mine but not everyone is the same.
I understand. From a mental and emotional level that might be true, but I was speaking from strictly a vibrational level - in terms of raising one's vibration.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:22 PM

346 posts, read 529,150 times
Default Re: Heavy Metal

Studies show that people who listen to this, after, have lower bp and a better mood - wish I could cite the study.

Reason I love Jeff Buckely (others...Sade, Ella Fitzgerald) is the fact I have a musical family and I hear every chord and note and the vibrations feel...different...

I'm on a Buckley binge that I can't stop; angelic voice and beautiful chord progressions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health