Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 08:42 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times

Advertisements

I'm 41 and feel so beat down anymore,been through alot for my age and have over recent years kind of given up...which I think may be contributing to me apparently becoming numb to where I don't care about much now. It's to the point where it's affecting things like my relationship and employment. I'm currently seeking better employment but honestly I'm just not seeing it being as how the economy is and employers are probably more selective than ever...I'm not even looking for anything that great,just something that pays the bills. But even that's a bigger competition now and I haven't had the drive in years.
I don't really want to go on meds,for one I have no insurance plus not really into any side effects. Anyway my personality has always been kind of scattered,it's just now there's less motivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 02:18 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Have medications been recommended to you in the past?
It isn't clear from your post... have you or do you suffer from depression?

Somes meds do have side effects, true. Mostly the improvement on meds is highly beneficial...making side effects much less of an issue...but it can take multiple tries to find the correct med/dosage etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I'm 41 and feel so beat down anymore,been through alot for my age and have over recent years kind of given up...which I think may be contributing to me apparently becoming numb to where I don't care about much now. It's to the point where it's affecting things like my relationship and employment. I'm currently seeking better employment but honestly I'm just not seeing it being as how the economy is and employers are probabMostly, the benefit greatly outweighs the ly more selective than ever...I'm not even looking for anything that great,just something that pays the bills. But even that's a bigger competition now and I haven't had the drive in years.
I don't really want to go on meds,for one I have no insurance plus not really into any side effects. Anyway my personality has always been kind of scattered,it's just now there's less motivation.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:44 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times
Quote:
I'm 41 and feel so beat down anymore,been through alot for my age and have over recent years kind of given up...which I think may be contributing to me apparently becoming numb to where I don't care about much now.
How do you think you could heal from what you've been through, so it no longer haunts you?

Quote:
It's to the point where it's affecting things like my relationship and employment.
Do you exercise and spend a little time outside every day - even if it's cold?

Quote:
I don't really want to go on meds,for one I have no insurance plus not really into any side effects.
I feel similarly and have avoided mind-altering meds.
How do you relax or improve how you feel, when you are stressed or feeling negative in anyway?

Quote:
Anyway my personality has always been kind of scattered,it's just now there's less motivation.
How's your sleep and diet?
Do you mentally beat yourself up a lot or are you otherwise negative in your thoughts?

Old 12-17-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Have medications been recommended to you in the past?
It isn't clear from your post... have you or do you suffer from depression?

Somes meds do have side effects, true. Mostly the improvement on meds is highly beneficial...making side effects much less of an issue...but it can take multiple tries to find the correct med/dosage etc.
Back in high school they tried putting me on meds for something,I can't even remember what it was supposed to be for,and I had all kinds of side effects like fatigue,dizziness,and nosebleeds...

I've not been officially diagnosed with depression,though it does run in the family and I did take an assessment a few years ago that may have indicated I had depression/anxiety at the time.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
How do you think you could heal from what you've been through, so it no longer haunts you?

Do you exercise and spend a little time outside every day - even if it's cold?

I feel similarly and have avoided mind-altering meds.
How do you relax or improve how you feel, when you are stressed or feeling negative in anyway?

How's your sleep and diet?
Do you mentally beat yourself up a lot or are you otherwise negative in your thoughts?
I think one of the only solutions,which used to work before,is flying the coop out of here and starting over...but right now I'm kind of locked into a situation plus finances are nil.

I don't officially exercise but I do keep moving as much as possible,it's nearing winter here too so s.a.d. may be a small factor also...though I do tend to prefer winter over summer in general.

Relaxing doesn't help in the long run because I end up having to go right back out into the chaos...it's like I just want to be a hermit but obviously that's not financially possible. My diet has gone slightly downhill also from years ago,I tend to gravitate more towards things I crave rather than what I should eat. My sleep varies and lately have been having trouble falling/staying asleep,but I do feel in general I get enough rest for the most part.

As for beating myself up,I do have certain standards I try to adhere to but the frustration with that is it doesn't seem to do much good as it seems the world around me is out of control alot.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:07 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
So, you kind of know where to start in making improvements to your life. One is the diet and the other exercise especially getting outside of the house. So, start there. The job market is tough for everyone and if you read some of the other posts on the internet, you might be more appreciative of even having a crappy job. You don't want to lose the job because that will make things a lot worse. So, get moving and for snack foods, add fresh fruits and vegetables. Do you have hobbies of any sort? What about taking some time to volunteer to get out and know people since this can often lead to info about jobs and give you a needed character reference. There appears to be a growing apprehension with employers about hiring "hermit" types so get out there. Also, watch out how much time you stay connected to electronic devices like the internet, television and video games. Feeling down? Get up and get moving!

Old 12-18-2012, 06:59 AM

Default Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
So, you kind of know where to start in making improvements to your life. One is the diet and the other exercise especially getting outside of the house. So, start there. The job market is tough for everyone and if you read some of the other posts on the internet, you might be more appreciative of even having a crappy job. You don't want to lose the job because that will make things a lot worse. So, get moving and for snack foods, add fresh fruits and vegetables. Do you have hobbies of any sort? What about taking some time to volunteer to get out and know people since this can often lead to info about jobs and give you a needed character reference. There appears to be a growing apprehension with employers about hiring "hermit" types so get out there. Also, watch out how much time you stay connected to electronic devices like the internet, television and video games. Feeling down? Get up and get moving!
Thanks but I'm already stuck in a minimum wage part time job which basically just pays for me to get back and forth to work...I think I'd rather just hang out inside; I did the volunteering thing in my 20s,no energy now...hence this thread; Same with hobbies,though I do manage to squeeze a couple hours out for comedy clubs and music which are my hobbies,but that's only because I'm working part time. When I worked full time,I spent most of my time and energy with overtime and traffic and pretty much only had time to come home,eat supper,check mail,go to bed and do it all again every day Well good to know employers are becoming more apprehensive about hiring my type just as I'm going in that direction...things seem to be going smoothly I don't do video games,I barely have enough time to check my email...and btw I live in a crappy city also so it's not too nice being outside either...

Old 12-18-2012, 11:45 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Suggest people stop thinking of anti-depressants as "mind-altering." They are "bad biochemistry correcting". If a diabetic person uses necessary insulin, it is to balance out the biochemical error/flaw to normality. Same with anti-depressants and depression. If you want "mind-altering," you have to go get some old-fashioned psychedelics.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:22 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times
Quote:
I think one of the only solutions,which used to work before,is flying the coop out of here and starting over...but right now I'm kind of locked into a situation plus finances are nil.
They say that the grass is always greener on the side with the most bull s-it.
I used to move every time life sucked (or seemed to) - it didn't help. Same thing, different location.
You can't run away from yourself, & you are what you focus on.

Quote:
I don't officially exercise but I do keep moving as much as possible,it's nearing winter here too so s.a.d. may be a small factor also...though I do tend to prefer winter over summer in general.
Even if it's cold, I try to go on a walk every day - even if it's just around the block. It really helps to get fresh air - & to move.
I'd also suggest getting some kind of regular exercise routine - ideally something fun, but the reality is that organized sports isn't so convenient. Maybe do sit ups, push ups, jumping jacks every morning - and gradually increasing reps.

Quote:
Relaxing doesn't help in the long run because I end up having to go right back out into the chaos...it's like I just want to be a hermit but obviously that's not financially possible.
Life never stops - the clock just keeps ticking, right?
One thing yoga has taught me is to learn to relax, while I'm busy doing things... it can be as simple as reminding yourself to breathe deeply throughout the day.

Quote:
My diet has gone slightly downhill also from years ago,I tend to gravitate more towards things I crave rather than what I should eat.
For a week, try only buying healthy foods - so you don't have any other option.
If you get the munchies, try a tastey cereal (pet food for humans ).
Drink lots of water.

Quote:
My sleep varies and lately have been having trouble falling/staying asleep,but I do feel in general I get enough rest for the most part.
That's good.

Quote:
As for beating myself up,I do have certain standards I try to adhere to but the frustration with that is it doesn't seem to do much good as it seems the world around me is out of control alot.
I think you are seeing the world as out of control alot.
It could be that others don't see it that way at all, even if they are in similar situations as you.
My impression is that you carry around a feeling of disappointment or otherwise sad or anxious (out of control) feeling and everything looks that way to you.
What can you do to get a sense of control & excitement back in your life?
Do it!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
They say that the grass is always greener on the side with the most bull s-it.
I used to move every time life sucked (or seemed to) - it didn't help. Same thing, different location.
You can't run away from yourself, & you are what you focus on.

I think you are seeing the world as out of control alot.
It could be that others don't see it that way at all, even if they are in similar situations as you.
My impression is that you carry around a feeling of disappointment or otherwise sad or anxious (out of control) feeling and everything looks that way to you.
What can you do to get a sense of control & excitement back in your life?
Do it!
The happiest I was was when I did keep moving...I still envy my trucker friends because they never get stuck in the same pit for too long;

I do try to eat better when possible,and pay attention to what certain foods do to me...sometimes coffee lifts my mood other times it makes me too edgy.

I agree the world does seem out of control to me,seems others are starting to feel that too. Maybe I'm just more intuitive and things hit me first. Though I do prefer a slower pace of life and the big city still trips me out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health