Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 10:20 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,153 times

Advertisements

I suffered a brain injury almos two years ago. Since then I have started to go downhill in regards to my mood and my outlook on life. Generally I am a very positive person who always looks on the bright side of things. I loved to work out, eat right, clean my house, etc. I loved to craft and was very creative. Now...not so much. I feel like my life is worthless, I want to divorce my husband of 25 years and I have a general tired feeling and pretty much not give a crap. I have two children still living at home and I spend most of my days and nights holed up in my bedroom. I eat my meals in there. Getting up to go to work is a chore and I have to force myself to do it. Pretty much right now I am the sole breadwinner because my husband has been self employed and makes very little money if any per month.
I feel like if I divorce him things will be better. Maybe I can find a better husband. One who has a job??
I don't know. I talked to my neurologist last time I saw him but I didn't want to go on any meds for fear of them affecting me and making me worse. I called in to the nurse today and she said he wants to see me today.
I am VERY scared of going on meds. I am an accountant and need my brain to work.
What do I do?

I feel hopeless and fat. I gained 20 lbs since two years ago went from a size 2 to 8. And that's fat for me, so yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 10:29 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
I suffered a brain injury almos two years ago. Since then I have started to go downhill in regards to my mood and my outlook on life. Generally I am a very positive person who always looks on the bright side of things. I loved to work out, eat right, clean my house, etc. I loved to craft and was very creative. Now...not so much. I feel like my life is worthless, I want to divorce my husband of 25 years and I have a general tired feeling and pretty much not give a crap. I have two children still living at home and I spend most of my days and nights holed up in my bedroom. I eat my meals in there. Getting up to go to work is a chore and I have to force myself to do it. Pretty much right now I am the sole breadwinner because my husband has been self employed and makes very little money if any per month.
I feel like if I divorce him things will be better. Maybe I can find a better husband. One who has a job??
I don't know. I talked to my neurologist last time I saw him but I didn't want to go on any meds for fear of them affecting me and making me worse. I called in to the nurse today and she said he wants to see me today.
I am VERY scared of going on meds. I am an accountant and need my brain to work.
What do I do?

I feel hopeless and fat. I gained 20 lbs since two years ago went from a size 2 to 8. And that's fat for me, so yeah.
You need to try medication and therapy. Are they going to help you? I don't know. But you can expect more the same and likely worse if you don't try anything at all. Do your research, sorry to tell you, there's people working as accountants, librarians, lawyers and everything else while on depression meds.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 AM

Thanks. I have an appointment in about an hour. I've been texting back and forth with my husband so he hopefully can understand. I am generally an over achiever. I had a high paying job but because of the brain injury I had to quit and now I make about $20K less. My daughter is pregnant and unmarried, we are Mormons, so this is a BIG deal. I think that I just have trouble dealing with stress. Maybe the meds will help. I'll look into therapy as well. We have pretty good insurance here so that makes me feel better.
I just believe that having that brain hemmoraghe really messed me up. I am 42 years old and I feel so hopeless. Like I said It's hard for me to accept since I've always been so upbeat and happy. I don't dance anymore (and believe me I LOVED to dance). I just want to sleep all the time. I can use some prayers too

Old 03-11-2013, 11:30 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Thanks. I have an appointment in about an hour. I've been texting back and forth with my husband so he hopefully can understand. I am generally an over achiever. I had a high paying job but because of the brain injury I had to quit and now I make about $20K less. My daughter is pregnant and unmarried, we are Mormons, so this is a BIG deal. I think that I just have trouble dealing with stress. Maybe the meds will help. I'll look into therapy as well. We have pretty good insurance here so that makes me feel better.
I just believe that having that brain hemmoraghe really messed me up. I am 42 years old and I feel so hopeless. Like I said It's hard for me to accept since I've always been so upbeat and happy. I don't dance anymore (and believe me I LOVED to dance). I just want to sleep all the time. I can use some prayers too

that is really good. just try the therapy and the medication and give them an HONEST effort for a few months. That way if it doesn't work you will know you legitimately tried. They are supposed to give you coping strategies for stress. The medication is supposed to make you cope better with life, but they aren't magic pills or anything. I have my own personal opinions on how my severe depression is going (badly) but that is not relevant to you and what can or might happen in your situation with meds/therapy.

I am sure the brain hemorrhage probably did do some damage but to what extent you really need to talk to a neurologist about this and ask questions as to how extensive it was. I had a minor brain injury when I was 8 or 9, it wasn't a hemorrhage or anything like you had. I fell off a scooter going around a sharp turn and hit a guard rail, head first. I have learning disabilities and Aspergers (HF autism). I wasn't supposed to be able to go to college but I did. IF I had to follow typical students' path through college I probably wouldn't have graduated (but that's another story). My point is maybe you can still do your accounting job but under different circumstances that work for you.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 4,435 times
I know I suffer from depression, but I never got diagnosed for it. I don't have any medical insurance so I can't see a therapist. I wouldn't want to take any medications for it anyway, but how do I go on with life if I feel this way.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:29 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
Some counselors charge on a sliding scale according to what you can afford. Try finding someone that does that. Calling your doctor might get you names and numbers of counselors.

If you have a church, they may be able to help. A close friend or relative could be great support. Even if they simply help you find resources.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:03 PM

GOLDIG you need to get some help. I know just what you're going through. I just wanted to make myself better but after my consult today with my neurologist (who treated my brain injury) he said the chemical imbalance sometimes cannot correct itself without medication. Each case is different. Talk to a family physician first and maybe they can prescribe you one with a generic substitute to keep costs down. My doctor charges less for patients with no insurance. I hope that the meds he prescribed will help me as I just can't make myself better. It takes a lot of courage to admit that we need help.
Good luck to you. I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
if you have brain damage meds are a normal solution.
u have a high stress marriage. u need a break from it respite from the kids. the hospital social worker should be able to help.
divorce is the usual solution but not always the best. swimming away from what was intended to be a life boat is not always smart.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:14 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,236,907 times
I hope you get the help you need OP. I'm posting this herb for others that havent had a brain injury and it wouldnt hurt for you to try it also OP. In another forum, someone posted about being depressed and a smart gal suggested this amazing stuff. I bought and tried it and it works better imo, than some AD's out there.

Its called Damiana. I bought it off Ebay, as a herb company was out. The mistake I made was buying it in loose form. I'd never made tea without a teabag before and its a messy task, imo. I now have ordered it in pre-made bag form and cant wait for it to arrive. Some folks smoke it, and it does look like pot in loose form. I swear by this stuff. Its so messy I went for 3 days without drinking it and could sure tell. I dont have severe depression though, so certainly dont recommend this over seeing your doctor.

My sister is very depressed and I asked her to try it, hope she's bought some. Good luck all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health