U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:33 AM

237 posts, read 784,269 times

Advertisements

I think sleeping pills are addictive. I have used them for years but would like to stop using them. The reason for taking the pills (death in the family), was long ago, but I am now addicted to them. I have tried many times to stop using them but have always gone back because I could not fall asleep without them. I have reduced by dozes. What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 09:56 AM

19,145 posts, read 13,980,680 times
Melatonin is a natural sleep aid. At night melatonin is produced to help our bodies regulate sleep. You can buy this over the counter and ask the pharmacist what amount you should take. I have not personally tried this but have several friends that swear by it. It would be worth a try!!

Old 10-27-2007, 05:51 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,171,446 times
I took ambien for a while, and once in a while still do. you can taper off, or use benadryl to help you get off them. there is a new sleeping pill that is melatonin. i tried it but it didn't work. you have to take a lot of melatonin for it to work. I always use half of a benadryl because a whole one makes me to groggy and dry.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:22 AM

4,732 posts, read 13,573,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Melatonin is a natural sleep aid. At night melatonin is produced to help our bodies regulate sleep. You can buy this over the counter and ask the pharmacist what amount you should take. I have not personally tried this but have several friends that swear by it. It would be worth a try!!
It worsk good IF taken on an empty stomach. Make sure you get the vegeterian kind as the other ones are synthesized from cow vomit. Men under 40 should not take it on a regular basis. Also, melatonin is in many foods like soy, milk, and veggies. Melatonin is not a long term solution.

Jesseka, it is now a "new" sleeping pill. It's a natural sleep aid that's been around for at least 20 years.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:52 PM

13,327 posts, read 30,306,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
It worsk good IF taken on an empty stomach. Make sure you get the vegeterian kind as the other ones are synthesized from cow vomit. Men under 40 should not take it on a regular basis. Also, melatonin is in many foods like soy, milk, and veggies. Melatonin is not a long term solution.

Jesseka, it is now a "new" sleeping pill. It's a natural sleep aid that's been around for at least 20 years.
Melatonin is a substance found, to some degree, in all living creatures.
I've been using melatonin off/on for years, as needed.
I never take the full dosage, let alone more. Just a little bit works for me.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:20 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,171,446 times
groove, I am not talking about melatonin, but a new sleeping aid that is only through a through prescription and is derived from melatonin. But if you are talking about this, then it is older than I thought. Just that my doctor said that it was new, and it didn't work for me. He said it works for some; not others. But you have to keep taking it for it to really work, and I don't want to take something that you have to take every night.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
groove, I am not talking about melatonin, but a new sleeping aid that is only through a through prescription and is derived from melatonin. But if you are talking about this, then it is older than I thought. Just that my doctor said that it was new, and it didn't work for me. He said it works for some; not others. But you have to keep taking it for it to really work, and I don't want to take something that you have to take every night.
Jessaka
Is this what you are talking about?
Ramelteon/Rozeram
They have those goofy ads with President Lincoln and a beaver talking about how "your dreams miss you."
I don't blame you for not wanting to take something every night, I'd feel the same way, although supposedly:
Ramelteon has not been shown to produce dependence and has shown no potential for abuse, and the withdrawal and rebound insomnia that is typical with other GABA modulators is not present in ramelteon. It is currently the only non-scheduled prescription drug for the treatment of insomnia available in the United States.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:20 AM

56,098 posts, read 12,032,162 times
goodtype,try this method,NewageRedneck and I feel this is the best way to go to sleep,simple and easy.My friend who took sleeping pills,tried it for the first time,she slept all night without taking her sleeping pills.
Here is the thread
http://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...od-health.html

Old 10-28-2007, 04:37 PM

73 posts, read 331,245 times
Valerian is an ancient sleep aid.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by home*sweet*home View Post
Valerian is an ancient sleep aid.
Yes, I had a neighbor who made tincture of Valerian, and now you can buy it just as you can get St John's Wort, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health