Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 01:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

I can see where events in your life have conspired to make you depressed however take the suicide option off the table as it accomplishes nothing but end any potential future happiness in your life and it makes friends and family very sad.Seems to me your life is going through a phase of boredom akin to a ship at sea with no wind in its sails and no direction if it did.
You sound like some one who needs to dwell on more positives of life instead of negatives you need to overcome your social inhibitions and start getting together with positive people ,could be through social groups at church,hobbies, meetup groups, the council of a better therapist,a life coach,reading the book "The Secret by Rhonda Byrne" join a gymn,buy a Harley or a sportscar. etc,
theres a million things you can do in life rather than sit around and constantly beat yourself up,you need to incorporate more activity in your life so you dont have time to sit around being depressed.
I was in a similar scenario in my early 20's,i rode out that rough time,when i was around 30 i landed a good job,shortly after i got a girlfriend shortly after we got married ,had 2 beautiful daughters now i'm 65 and retired, it turned out to be a pretty darn good life all things considered.
Bottom line, you've been given the gift of life, dont throw it away..

Old 07-03-2013, 07:19 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Jambo, when one is severely depressed and has extreme socially anxiety it's life controlling. Before he can think about meet up groups, joining a gym or other activities he has to find an effective treatment for his conditions. When he can't control it, how would he be able to get out and do the things you mentioned. When everything you have tried does not work, its very frustrating and adds to the circle of depression. In this case what does he have to dwell on that is positive? One can say, well he is alive. Yes, but existing is not the same as having a full life. Depression and anxiety related issues are very individual, what works for one does not at all for another. The degree of the illness can also vary greatly. I agree he must keep trying, but answers are not easy and every case is different. I'm glad things worked out for you.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Jambo, when one is severely depressed and has extreme socially anxiety it's life controlling. Before he can think about meet up groups, joining a gym or other activities he has to find an effective treatment for his conditions. When he can't control it, how would he be able to get out and do the things you mentioned. When everything you have tried does not work, its very frustrating and adds to the circle of depression. In this case what does he have to dwell on that is positive? One can say, well he is alive. Yes, but existing is not the same as having a full life. Depression and anxiety related issues are very individual, what works for one does not at all for another. The degree of the illness can also vary greatly. I agree he must keep trying, but answers are not easy and every case is different. I'm glad things worked out for you.
Throwing this kind of a problem on a public forum one would expect to get a lot of opinions mostly life and experience based rather than medically based,about all we can do is give what we think is positive advice and hope our depressed poster gleans some insight into the remedies/options we suggest,
Ultimately if the problem is more than a normal phase in life that most people go through from time to time where negativity and depression prevail then medical intervention is indeed required.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:47 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Like some of the others said: GET A PUPPY! Read this:http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=131476

I was very depressed and on antidepressants because of events that went on in my life back then. I wasn't suicidal, but I didn't care if I got hit by a truck either.

This went on for quite a while UNTIL I got a puppy. She was my saviour. A little ball of fluff who was there for me to hug, who loved me unconditionally, who gave me something other than myself to focus on, who accompanied me everywhere and gave me the strength to go out in public, kept me busy and made me laugh.

All I can tell you is my whole world changed the day she climbed into my arms.

This "puppy" is now 13 years old and still doing great (me too), but I dread the day she will be gone. But, I know I'll be ok once I get through the mourning when the time comes.

I will be forever in her debt for taking me out of that dark place.

Get the strength to go down to your local Humane Society and see if you can't find one that tugs at your heart strings. Just TRY it. You might save two lives (yours and the dog's)

Life does get better. Ask any suicide survivor.

Last edited by gouligann; 07-04-2013 at 04:58 AM..

Old 07-04-2013, 07:29 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Closing the thread---suicide threads are inappropriate for this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health