Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 09:22 AM

49 posts, read 152,381 times

Advertisements

This just happened to me last night.
My sister woke up and took a shower around 5:00 am
I asked her: "Did you had a shower with your hair tied up"?
She was like "What?"
Then I told her to be careful of the man peering at her through the window with his camera!

I remember being awake while this happened. I don't recall the whole conversation, but I remember her reaction and telling me that what I'm saying doesn't make sense at all.

Later in the morning she asked me if I remember the stuff I was telling her. I do remember the hair part, not much about the man in the window though!

It almost felt like I wasn't the person talking. Like someone else was using my tongue.

This never happened to me before.

I'm diagnosed with major depressive disorder. I just had my anti-dep dose increased.

What is your explanation for this. Should I be concerned ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 10:13 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
I would read about the drug side effects of the medication you are taking. Search for the drug name on google.com.

Also look for "drug interaction" problems listed on the drug manufacturer's product information sheet. ESPECIALLY with over-the-counter medicines!!!

And do read the labels on any over-the-counter medicines (allergy, cold/flue, etc.) you are taking.

Also be sure to report this to your doctor and be sure to tell your doctor of ANY other drugs you are taking including over-the-counter, alcohol, illegal drugs if any, etc.

And if asking questions about something which might be drug related on the internet... It helps if you say what the name of the drug is!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:39 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
It's actually pretty common for people to have some bizarre thinking or behavior very early in the AM after just waking up. When we are dreaming we're in "primary process" thought, and as soon as you wake up, there can be a little period of time when you're still in primary process thinking even though you're mostly awake. This period is sometimes referred to as hypnagogia. People in that state might hallucinate (hypnagogal hallucinations) or have very strange thoughts that might even be like a person with Schizophrenia might have. But it's normal and passes pretty quickly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

Another option is that with sleep-talking (and sleep-walking) people can appear awake, and might even remember things, but they could still be sleeping.

Regarding the meds, most antidepressants work on Serotonin, usually facilitating or increasing the activity of serotonin in some parts of the brain. Among other things, this can cause issues in that early-morning hypnagogia period.
I noticed that since I started taking SNRI years ago (Effexor), and when I took an SSRI before that (Paxil) I had extended periods in the morning in which I was not completely "awake." After several weeks in each medication, the early morning "half-asleep" thing went away, but I definitely still have extended periods of primary process thought in the AM. I can hit my snooze button and go back to whatever dream I was having, and even experience the dream while still seeing my bedroom around me. I've even felt like the images in my dream were being "projected" on what I could see in my room. I also found that I could lucid-dream (being aware that you're in a dream and orchestrating the events) more in the early morning since going on antidepressant/antianxiety meds.

It makes sense that you just recently increased your dose of meds. This will likely pass as your system adjusts to the new level. Don't stress about it.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:45 PM

67 posts, read 169,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
It's actually pretty common for people to have some bizarre thinking or behavior very early in the AM after just waking up. When we are dreaming we're in "primary process" thought, and as soon as you wake up, there can be a little period of time when you're still in primary process thinking even though you're mostly awake. This period is sometimes referred to as hypnagogia. People in that state might hallucinate (hypnagogal hallucinations) or have very strange thoughts that might even be like a person with Schizophrenia might have. But it's normal and passes pretty quickly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

Another option is that with sleep-talking (and sleep-walking) people can appear awake, and might even remember things, but they could still be sleeping.

Regarding the meds, most antidepressants work on Serotonin, usually facilitating or increasing the activity of serotonin in some parts of the brain. Among other things, this can cause issues in that early-morning hypnagogia period.
I noticed that since I started taking SNRI years ago (Effexor), and when I took an SSRI before that (Paxil) I had extended periods in the morning in which I was not completely "awake." After several weeks in each medication, the early morning "half-asleep" thing went away, but I definitely still have extended periods of primary process thought in the AM. I can hit my snooze button and go back to whatever dream I was having, and even experience the dream while still seeing my bedroom around me. I've even felt like the images in my dream were being "projected" on what I could see in my room. I also found that I could lucid-dream (being aware that you're in a dream and orchestrating the events) more in the early morning since going on antidepressant/antianxiety meds.

It makes sense that you just recently increased your dose of meds. This will likely pass as your system adjusts to the new level. Don't stress about it.
I agree. My teenage son is super hard to get up in the mornings. He frequently responds to me in ways that don't make sense.....as if he is still dreaming, and responding to an occurrence in the dream. I would not be too concerned, unless you have major problems sleeping through the night, or waking up frequently, and not being able to go back to sleep.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:32 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
I take ambien-CR to sleep and my husband who gets up at five am tells me I say weird stuff all the time which I don't remember saying half the time...it could be the increased dosage...I would ask your doctor or even pharmacist...

Old 07-21-2013, 09:03 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
I think it's because you just had your "anti dep dose" increased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health