Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:35 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,279,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
...My family isn't that supportive, they think I'm anorexic and doing this on purpose....

I guess I'm going to try eating babyfood...
I was going to suggest a liquid diet or soup (end of problem), but you thought of it first. Good job!

So far as family and other people who are selfish and can't understand the problems other people face, tell them to mind their own business if they have nothing good to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 06:22 AM

838 posts, read 1,352,836 times
Was this the first time you have ever choked? I've choked multiple times in my life but I've never been afraid of eating afterwards. I did choke on a Jolly Rancher once when I was younger and since then, I prefer not the eat them. It's so easy for them to slip down your throat by mistake.

Just try to eat something solid everyday. Have someone around you to make you feel more secure. But definitely get this fixed.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,492 times
I used to have this problem, but not as severe. I started out just eating liquids like soup and then soup with little food pieces and then eventually hard foods like cookies, because they don't break of can't get stuck in your throat as easily. It would get better if you don't think about it because it is a humans natural instinct to swallow something that you are chewing and you have to almost think about not swallowing it, like gum.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:35 AM

165 posts, read 194,370 times
This was my problem. I can't even tell you what I suffered, although I believe I know what triggered it. How it reached a manageable level: Good friends who didn't mind how long I took to eat at restaurants (or at home) who wanted to kick back and talk, not just bolt down food and leave. I ordered or ate foods I could handle, be they meatless or very soft, and concentrated on the people. It helps when you are with people that you really want to be with and they like conversation, not just a big ol' get-together where everyone just grabs the food and stuffs themselves.

I was patient with myself for many years and poo-pooed those who told me I ate slowly or "wished they had my problem" (because they felt they overate).

I actually ate a steak while in the throes of this because I was with people whom I trusted and who were not in a hurry. I think that helped me the most, concentrating on being with people who were not in a hurry.

Last edited by hojobojo; 04-12-2014 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-14-2014, 01:15 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,957,605 times
Quote:
Has anyone had this problem or know some who did/does? I've had this problem since April of this year, I am really afraid to swallow food. I keep thinking I'll choke. This fear does ruin your life. I've had all kinds of tests done, had an endoscopy, a barium swallow, and the doctors say there is nothing physically wrong with me. It doesn't feel that way.

I'm only 18, I just graduated from high school. It should be a happy time in my life right now, but seriously it is the worst.

Now that I think about it, I've actually had this problem since December/January but when it came, it only lasted for a week or two and it wasn't that bad. I still ate normal food, just took me a while to chew and swallow it. But then it came back in April, and it's been with me ever since.

In December I choked(or almost choked) on a noodle at olive garden. I couldn't swallow the noodle, it wouldn't go down. Finally I had to loudly hack it up. When I realized it wasn't going down, i felt panic and fear i have never felt in my life. It was a terrible scary feeling. I've had problems ever since, but like I said, until the April incident it wasn't that severe and only lasted a couple weeks. But every time it happened, it happened when I was eating spaghetti/pasta which is my favorite food. Hmm, so my favorite food is the trigger food I guess.

So now it's become really bad. Since April, i've lost 40+ pounds and it's a struggle to eat anything, even mashed potatoes. Liquids are fine, I have been drinking ensure and water a lot. But i can't live off liquids forever and I don't want to! I'm really trying to get better, I know I have to beat this. I try to eat solid foods, I put it my mouth and chew it but just end up sucking all the flavor and juices out of it because I'm too scared to swallow. I plan on getting some liquid vitamins tomorrow.

Will I ever be able to eat normal again, will it ever end? Doesn't feel like it. I go to sleep crying a lot of nights because I know I'm losing too much weight too fast and if I don't start eating I will die. But too afraid to swallow because it feels like I'll choke and die. It's a lose-lose sitution and I am so scared. I have started seeing a psychologist last week but only had one sessions so far and it was mostly filling out paperwork. I used to love to eat, and I used to love going to restaurants but I can't anymore. I worry about this every single day. At least I'm not alone. Sorry for the long post but this is killing me. Literally.
YES!!! I had this as a child and was almost admitted ... It all started when I saw a kid during school lunch choke on a roll. I was in 5th grade. For the next two years I had a fear of even eating apple sauce, I slept with 3 pillows, practically sitting up so I wouldn't choke in my sleep. (I was traumatized seeing that girl turn blue )

.. I would cry and cry and cry at dinner and any meal. I would trade my lunches with any kid (more like just give all my food away) .. I lost loads of weigh .. I ended up at 76 lbs when I should have weighed a bit more going into middle school. My parents took me to throat doctors, regular doctors, therapists etc. I was famous for chewing my food as just holding it in mouth. I would refuse to swallow and spit it out when no one was looking or "go to the bathroom". It was never about body image and all about a fear of choking. It seemed like the most horrible thing ever. To this day I have certain "will not eat foods"
Hotdogs, gummy anything, chewy cheeses (those fried melted chreese sticks) , steak and pork chops. Those are more definite no's

Old 04-19-2014, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,445 times
Hi this is my first time in this forum. Im sorry for bad english but im trying to help

I got that feeling when i was 12 to 13. Im 18 now btw.

So there was a story about a dead kid in my city because of choked to death.
after that i was so afraid to swallow anything. i'll chew my food in a really long time and i got a really bad panic when i swallow it. It was a tough time but i get over it

i know what you feeling, you must be very tired or maybe kinda blaming yourself because it feels ridiculous but it bothered you a lot!

but trust me you'll get over it. Just dont overthink when you r eating. Make you r self busy with magazine or something. just force youre self to swallow it.

I donno if it is work to u or not but i pinched my self a bit when i tried to swallow food at that time. its kinda force myself to not panic and just swallow it.
finally i get over it in 3 months i guess. But until now sometimes i still feel that kind of feeling

good luck!

Old 06-08-2014, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,760 times
Quote:
Has anyone had this problem or know some who did/does? I've had this problem since April of this year, I am really afraid to swallow food. I keep thinking I'll choke. This fear does ruin your life. I've had all kinds of tests done, had an endoscopy, a barium swallow, and the doctors say there is nothing physically wrong with me. It doesn't feel that way.

I'm only 18, I just graduated from high school. It should be a happy time in my life right now, but seriously it is the worst.

Now that I think about it, I've actually had this problem since December/January but when it came, it only lasted for a week or two and it wasn't that bad. I still ate normal food, just took me a while to chew and swallow it. But then it came back in April, and it's been with me ever since.

In December I choked(or almost choked) on a noodle at olive garden. I couldn't swallow the noodle, it wouldn't go down. Finally I had to loudly hack it up. When I realized it wasn't going down, i felt panic and fear i have never felt in my life. It was a terrible scary feeling. I've had problems ever since, but like I said, until the April incident it wasn't that severe and only lasted a couple weeks. But every time it happened, it happened when I was eating spaghetti/pasta which is my favorite food. Hmm, so my favorite food is the trigger food I guess.

So now it's become really bad. Since April, i've lost 40+ pounds and it's a struggle to eat anything, even mashed potatoes. Liquids are fine, I have been drinking ensure and water a lot. But i can't live off liquids forever and I don't want to! I'm really trying to get better, I know I have to beat this. I try to eat solid foods, I put it my mouth and chew it but just end up sucking all the flavor and juices out of it because I'm too scared to swallow. I plan on getting some liquid vitamins tomorrow.

Will I ever be able to eat normal again, will it ever end? Doesn't feel like it. I go to sleep crying a lot of nights because I know I'm losing too much weight too fast and if I don't start eating I will die. But too afraid to swallow because it feels like I'll choke and die. It's a lose-lose sitution and I am so scared. I have started seeing a psychologist last week but only had one sessions so far and it was mostly filling out paperwork. I used to love to eat, and I used to love going to restaurants but I can't anymore. I worry about this every single day. At least I'm not alone. Sorry for the long post but this is killing me. Literally.
hi im nikki and i hv this to and i dnt kn wht to di

Old 06-08-2014, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,760 times
im scared

Old 06-08-2014, 05:54 PM

132 posts, read 258,680 times
Quote:

hey im 39, i may be able to offer some thoughts (happened to me when i was 19)

Old 07-08-2014, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,301 times
I've been living with that thing for 2 years...last year i got BETTER but couldnt be good completely.and then i already got worst day by day till today.i lose my hope anymore...i think i'll never eat like a normal person again because i lost my reflex.my life is terrible anymore...i cant eat with my friends otlr family because i do stupid things when it's time to swallow..and i'm so tired that everytime i'm trying to hide it from them..it's my habit anymore and i think i'll never get over it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health