Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 06:21 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Can't help but notice your location. Is that part of the problem?

Also, what is your degree?
Louisiana.. I actually live in a city.. its really great for..tourist... job hunting has been terrible here...if you aren't going to be in education or medication it can be difficult, and in a small city, employment is plagued with nepotism that can carry generations.

i majored in business admin:marketing - yes i know stupid, not important, but at the time they told me it was such a great decision, my cousin and his ex majored in the same thing in the same state and they have jobs marketing/or not. i don't really care if the job is in marketing.. i am open to anything i think i can do.. but it just hasn't worked..

i did try the moving to a better opportunity state, things looked up and then went to hell, and i had to return home so..now i can't afford to leave, and people aren't hiring out of state like they use to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 06:27 PM

31 posts, read 37,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Is this the right place for this? I don't know. Anyways. I feel maybe I shouldn't be here. I don't make a very good adult. I'm a bit caught in a place between adult and child, because after college I still haven't found work. I'm not very good at anything, at least not good enough for it to matter. Everything I try seems to go wrong. I've lost most of my friends, as they have gone on to be important people, but I know thats my fault mostly, heh "misfortune shows those who aren't friends" a wise man once said. I'm a waste on society and a drain on my parents. Maybe everyone would be better off if I disappeared. People say things will get better, but..what if they never get better?

I can understand how you feel. Me and quite a few of my friends are in a similar position. All good kids who went to college only to return to no job prospects. I know extremely intelligent people working as line cooks right now or driving 1 hour to work each way just for a little above minimum wage. There's nothing wrong(imo) with being a drain on your parents when you need help. That's what families do. They are not a business. When I get a job I plan on helping out my family members with their problems. As to being a drain on society, don't let that bother you. There's more to life than having a job. Employment is no reflection on self-worth.

What do you want out of life?
What would you buy with all that money from your perfect job that everyone else has?

Old 12-03-2013, 07:20 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
I thought pretty women had it made; they can just marry a successful guy and he'll take care of her while she's a SAHM. If you got no income maybe you can get food stamps for awhile, at least it'll buy you groceries that can make you happy.

I'm depressed and very discouraged now looking for jobs while being 5.33 years unemployed now. My hobbies and videos games don't seem to bring me a real happiness that I would have if I had a good job.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogers_Grant View Post
I can understand how you feel. Me and quite a few of my friends are in a similar position. All good kids who went to college only to return to no job prospects. I know extremely intelligent people working as line cooks right now or driving 1 hour to work each way just for a little above minimum wage. There's nothing wrong(imo) with being a drain on your parents when you need help. That's what families do. They are not a business. When I get a job I plan on helping out my family members with their problems. As to being a drain on society, don't let that bother you. There's more to life than having a job. Employment is no reflection on self-worth.

What do you want out of life?
What would you buy with all that money from your perfect job that everyone else has?
i want happiness... i didn't want to be rich, just to have enough not to have to worry about every little thing that happens to me... i would buy a life.. money matters, you can't do anything without money, you can't move anywhere, you can't go places whether its vacation or even to the movies with friends without. you can't go to the doctor or buy your medicine without money.. you can't get better clothes with out money, you can't drive your car if you don't have money... money would give me the opportunity to afford to live to matter..money doesn't buy you happiness, but poverty doesn't buy you anything

Old 12-04-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I thought pretty women had it made; they can just marry a successful guy and he'll take care of her while she's a SAHM. If you got no income maybe you can get food stamps for awhile, at least it'll buy you groceries that can make you happy.

I'm depressed and very discouraged now looking for jobs while being 5.33 years unemployed now. My hobbies and videos games don't seem to bring me a real happiness that I would have if I had a good job.
i doubt no man wants to marry an unemployed,emotional unstable, failure

and i don't qualify for food stamps.. i'm sure i did in college but i never used it

job would give me a purpose at least.. i'd matter to something

Old 12-04-2013, 08:47 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
This is a "duh" statement, but aside from your situation, you sound depressed. I know that being unemployed is stressful and makes you question earlier decisions that you made, but I have a feeling you might be depressed even if you were employed. So, if you have any insurance, or can find some low-cost therapy, I urge you to look into it. A good therapist can really help you frame the way you see yourself and your experiences in the world in a better light.

No one in your life will be happier if you're gone. I've known several people who have committed suicide and they leave NOTHING but pain and misery in their wake. Your thinking that people will be better off without you is a symptom of depression and is not based on reality. If you doubt what I'm saying, just ask the people around you.

Also, since you are at loose ends and living with your family, why don't you research the possibilities of doing something really different? You could join the Peace Corps or Teach for America. Volunteer with a group that might send you somewhere you've never thought of. Teach English in another country. Open yourself up to possibilities other than hunting for a job in the town you're living in.

My heart goes out to you. Try to hang in there and work as hard as you can to feel better.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:04 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Big hugs honey, truly

But now I need to ***** slap some sense in to you....

STOP IT, right now.

You are throwing yourself a huge pity party and need to end it now - right this minute.

YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE HERE.

Don't think for a minute that the people who love you don't want you here!

They would be devastated if you suddenly weren't.

Get out of your own head long enough to realize how selfish "not being here" really is to those YOU love who love you too.

Life is hard.

That is just a fundamental, grownup truth you need to come to grips with.

Life is also precious! Those who waste it are the most pathetic of all creatures.

So it hasn't turned out like you thought it would, or should - that happens to plenty of us!

It just means you need a new game plan, some new goals okay?

You can do this.

I KNOW you can.
That's absolutely right lovesMountains!

It's a Wonderful Life - YouTube

Old 12-04-2013, 09:11 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
That's absolutely right lovesMountains!

It's a Wonderful Life - YouTube
LOVE that movie - so much truth in it!

Sadly, when people are depressed they are usually in too much pain to appreciate how amazingly precious life is

But even if Artiste can't FEEL it, my hope is she will continue to at least KNOW it and hang in there.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:35 AM

31 posts, read 37,727 times
Have you been isolating yourself?
Do you exercise on a daily basis?
How many jobs do you apply to a day?
Do you drink?

I had to get all these things in check. It takes at least a month but I feel much better.
Unemployment is an awful thing to go through, especially when most people still have the mentality that only lazy people are unemployed.

What are your goals in life right now?
You mentioned happiness but what physical goals do you have?

Old 12-04-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogers_Grant View Post
Have you been isolating yourself?
Do you exercise on a daily basis?
How many jobs do you apply to a day?
Do you drink?

I had to get all these things in check. It takes at least a month but I feel much better.
Unemployment is an awful thing to go through, especially when most people still have the mentality that only lazy people are unemployed.

What are your goals in life right now?
You mentioned happiness but what physical goals do you have?
-Yes
-Not anymore
-I use to do 5 a day, now maybe a couple a week
-No, alcohol gives me heart burn and kinda taste like medicine heh

My goal in life was.. Get a job in a city I like, work work, find a boyfriend .love love.. Then get married..work work.. Then move outside the city buy a house have kids and love and work . Now I don't know my goals? I no longer want to get married or have kids.. Kinda over it now so just hoping to die young and try better in the next life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health