Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:43 PM

80 posts, read 113,396 times

Advertisements

On just her third visit to a therapist for a mood disorder, when it was revealed that her boyfriend is an atheist and she is Christian, the therapist recommended that she break up with him. Is this malpractice? Keep in mind that the main motivation behind employing the therapist was to improve the relationship. She did break up (with the therapist), but was the therapist being unethical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 07:53 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus918 View Post
On just her third visit to a therapist for a mood disorder, when it was revealed that her boyfriend is an atheist and she is Christian, the therapist recommended that she break up with him. Is this malpractice? Keep in mind that the main motivation behind employing the therapist was to improve the relationship. She did break up (with the therapist), but was the therapist being unethical?
It isn't malpractice, it may be rude, it may be inappropriate under the circumstances of why she is seeing him, but not malpractice. She should see someone else, obviously this guy isn't going to help her.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:30 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
No.

Since you weren't in the session you can have no way of knowing in what context the therapist may have suggested such a thing.

There can be valid reasons that you don't understand, and that which your friend doesn't WANT to understand, for why this may be important to her mental health.

Encourage her to find another therapist, and not to let this experience be a reason she doesn't seek help

Old 12-05-2013, 06:06 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,854 times
big assumptions are being made about the recommendation to break up with the boyfriend.

first, do you actually know for sure that this is what was being "recommended"?
second, do you actually know the reasons for the supposed "recommendation"?
third, you don't state what relationship the person in therapy is to you - so i have to ask, what business is this of yours?

people sometimes go into therapy with the expectation of hearing some advice that they want to hear, to support a course of action they wish to take - could that have been the case here? people often find it hard to accept even sound advice, if its not something they wish to hear.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:57 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
second, do you actually know the reasons for the supposed "recommendation"?
I'd have to know that too, to give a good opinion..it could have more than just their differences about religion.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:19 PM

For the sake of argument, let's assume that she said she sometimes felt incomplete or empty because she would never be able to share her faith and pray together. However, there was likely no deeper revelation about a religious conflict during this 50 minute session. It seems to me that while this issue should be explored and deeply reflected upon by both him and her, the immediate conclusion and directive by the therapist was inappropriate at best. Again, the reason for going to the therapist had to do with a mood disorder that predates this relationship. And the stated goal of therapy was to combat the disorder to strengthen this and ALL of her familial relationships. It seems that the therapist could be giving advice based on her own religious beliefs, and if so, this strikes me as highly unethical. Based on this interpretation, is it unethical?

Old 12-06-2013, 08:26 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,258 times
This is interesting . I once went to a therapist mainly because of indecision and inability to focus on what I really wanted.

I hated my job; she advised me to quit as I was capable of better things.

Well, I stayed with the job and do regret not thinking better of myself. Of course, telling me to just quit was a little odd, as I didn't yet have the skills to get where I wanted to be. So for that time being I would have had to stay there anyway.

A few years later, I went to another therapist after a personal tragedy. She told me to stay at the job even though I hated it.

Now I'm near retirement. I don't know why, but when I go through life transitions I feel it's good to talk to a therapist.
I've told this one how much I can't wait to leave a job I have hated for 30+ years. And she has told me to stay there!

So, no matter what, it comes down to you knowing yourself. This therapist may have a point, though!

I'm not sure if it's unethical for a therapist to tell you to leave your job if you hate it. It may be unwise though.

In my case I should have talked to a financial advisor/career counselor all these years !

Could I have held the therapist liable if I had quit my job years ago and ended up destitute? I would think not.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:34 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,923,463 times
Might you be the atheist boyfriend?

Why shouldn't people ask for more information? You gave very narrow context and context is everything.

Last edited by Marka; 12-10-2013 at 06:27 AM..

Old 12-07-2013, 11:42 AM

I might be... I also might be the therapist or even the woman that went to the therapist. Whoever I am, I wanted to get honest feedback based on the scenario that I presented. I'm not sure why it is so hard for people to offer up an opinion on what was presented. Its not like I'm going to subpoena anyone to testify in court. SMH...

Old 12-07-2013, 01:09 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
I might be... I also might be the therapist or even the woman that went to the therapist. Whoever I am, I wanted to get honest feedback based on the scenario that I presented. I'm not sure why it is so hard for people to offer up an opinion on what was presented. Its not like I'm going to subpoena anyone to testify in court. SMH...
You got "honest feedback", but what you appear to really have wanted was someone to agree with you that the therapist in this scenario did anything wrong

FYI, the therapist did not do anything "unethical".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health