Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 08:42 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
If they reported it they knew about it......and should have stopped taking Ambien immediately.

What happened to them should not impact those who take Ambien and do not experience such side effects.
If a person wants to stop Ambien, it is best to get off it gradually. Call your doctor or check with the pharmacy. Do not stop it cold turkey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 08:51 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Ambien does have side effects, but as the manufacturer said, it does not cause racism.
Of course the mfg says that, but the drug could cause the person to be vocally racist. Racism is very alive in America and many more tolerant than many. I don't love everyone. But I know how to control my tongue.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:57 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My s/o had a prescription for it one time. He took one and I told him he needed to go ahead and go to bed, but no, he just had to stay up a "few more minutes". Next thing I knew he went missing. I looked everywhere for him and finally found him outside in his underwear raking leaves at midnight.
LL. Good way to get the yard work done!

Old 05-31-2018, 08:59 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
If a person wants to stop Ambien, it is best to get off it gradually. Call your doctor or check with the pharmacy. Do not stop it cold turkey.

You're right.

I should have said they should report it to their doctor immediately and follow his instructions.

Last edited by Annie53; 05-31-2018 at 09:34 PM..

Old 05-31-2018, 09:07 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,218,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Alcohol is a huge money maker as are some other drugs that carry huge side effects and they are still on the market. I often wonder what alcohol does to the brain after being on it for a while..long term effects on the brain.

There are plenty of studies on the long term affects of alcohol use. Alcohol, quite simply kills brain cells. Fortunately we have plenty of brain cells, but over time, you will notice an effect. It also will kill your liver over time. Once you kill your liver, your only option is a transplant. Long term use of alcohol is very destructive.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Of course the mfg says that, but the drug could cause the person to be vocally racist. Racism is very alive in America and many more tolerant than many. I don't love everyone. But I know how to control my tongue.

And a few drinks can also cause someone to be vocally racist.

Should that disclaimer be printed on every container of alcohol?

"This product could cause you to say or do things you normally wouldn't say or do."

Anyway, do you think Roseanne should be given a pass because, according to her, the Ambien loosened her tongue?

What if she blamed what she said on a few glasses of wine?

Old 05-31-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
There are plenty of studies on the long term affects of alcohol use. Alcohol, quite simply kills brain cells. Fortunately we have plenty of brain cells, but over time, you will notice an effect. It also will kill your liver over time. Once you kill your liver, your only option is a transplant. Long term use of alcohol is very destructive.

And yet, unlike Ambien and other medications, people are not up in arms demanding that it be taken off the market.

Am I the only one who sees the irony here?

Another instance of the same thing:

E-juice is being vilified for having fruity flavors, supposedly to attract children, yet, I see commercials on TV advertising all kinds of fruity flavored alcohol but that is OK.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Ambien works so-so for me. I take it because I travel a lot and for "racing thoughts" at night. I have a very difficult time getting my mind to quiet down esp if something is worrying me....

Lunesta works better for me but in order to get it, you have to try ambien first and then get the doctor to contact them to change the medication.
Boy that sure is a racket...

Old 05-31-2018, 09:35 PM

I sleep a good 8-10 hrs nightly and worked on getting the right combo for my sleep. WIth aging and I'll be 80 and advanced arthritis pain, sleep has become more elusive for me in recent years, probably the last 10 yrs.

I have my sleep remedy in Alt Med area here under "That Elusive Sleep"... and I have some dreams and I like them but surely nothing what the Ambien does...good grief.

My stuff consists of:

Low Dose Melatonin
Inositol
Gaba

Just added
Tryptophan and B6
for those nights when I can't get
back to sleep. Now I get right back
after bathroom.

Again it's in Alt Med if anyone wants a more "holistic" medicine for sleep and when to start the process before hitting the pillow.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-31-2018 at 10:31 PM..

Old 05-31-2018, 10:06 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,218,675 times
I have my Ambien story.

I went to bed as normal, after taking an Ambien. At some point, I got up and started "preparing" food. I got a nice serving dish, filled it with some red wine, ham, olives, grapes, blueberries and maybe some strawberries. I put a couple of straws in the mess and called it good. I may have drank some, but I don't remember any of it, just saw it the next day and said"WTF?".

I weaned myself off Ambien after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health