Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 01:53 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinephile17 View Post
The problem is that I have no desire to do anything with my life...
Become a Buddhist monk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 04:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinephile17 View Post
I am a college student in my early twenties. I consider myself to be attractive, eloquent, kind, and intelligent. I do very well in school, have won numerous scholarships, and am often told that I will have a great career once I graduate.

The problem is that I have no desire to do anything with my life. Nothing seems to be worth the effort. I've done a few internships and I always find myself wanting them to end. That's a common theme in my life--I always want to get through things; I'm seldom happy in the moment. Though I'm a strong student and college could very well be the high point of my life, I find myself counting down the days until graduation. I derive no pleasure from going to school, it's just something I do because it's expected of me and it gives me some sense of purpose.

When I do graduate, I very much doubt that I will have the bright future others envision for me. I don't have the ambition or patience to network and work my way up to some fancy position. Realistically, I see myself working some dead-end job and waiting for my life to end.

Can anyone relate to the way I feel? What do you think I should do?
You need an attitude adjustment, i'd recommend the services of a life coach .
life coach - definition of life coach by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Certainly worked for me after i retired and felt somewhat lacking in relevance,passion to do anything,no direction in life.Life coach within 6-8 sessions gave me an entire new appreciation for life.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:56 AM

621 posts, read 1,421,890 times
You need to talk to someone! Find a therapist, a member of the clergy, a doctor. To me you sound like you are in a depression and you need to figure out why you feel this way.

Please find someone you can talk to.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:10 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,516 times
You are all watching too much TV.
It will dull you brain.
In fact it is hypnotic, so you must be in a perpetual trance.

Mass Mind Control Through Network Television

Old 01-22-2014, 11:29 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
I was like this too. Good at everything but loved nothing. It really sucked. I floated thru bullcrap jobs and never found a real love for anything or career. I bet the reason is because you don't have too. DO you come from a family w/ a lot of money??? That's what killed my ambition. I just faked it , now their almost all dead and Im happy doing crap! I know it sounds sad, but having a family w/ money really kills ambition.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:43 AM

1 posts, read 928 times
AWESOME post !!!
I typed "I have no vision" in the browser and this thread came up.
I'm 55, have had numerous life experiences and now I KNOW the depression from a dead-end marriage is catching up to me. (I stay for the sake of my 9 year old son). It's Depression that doesn't make me 'want-to' do anything but I take different jobs just to pay bills. At this moment, I was recently laid off and need to find some income to pay the rent and also get out of debt. If the door to the end of my life opened tomorrow, I would walk through it without looking back.
I did many things mentioned: Relocated to better areas / climate; taught overseas; worked at positions that catered to my personality...
At the moment, I don't have a clue how to spark a vision. I would love something where I can work from home or be Independent from the mainstream (i.e. time clock, advancement expectations, 9-5+, etc). I don't NEED to fit in or keep up with any celebrity's life; I'm a free spirit who NEVER fit in this world.
Again, REALLY APPRECIATE the first post!! I hope by now you have an alternative story to share!

Old 01-10-2016, 01:13 PM

687 posts, read 616,600 times
I feel the same way. Thank you for articulating it so well. Perhaps my experience will be helpful to you.

I have devoted much thought to figuring out why inspiration is frequently elusive. I believe it is related to the fact that many subjects/skills come easily to me, and similar to what stevemorse says about money, the already-familiar luxury makes effort into any one thing seem unnecessary even as it is obligatory for our society and culture. It also makes indecision a problem.

So I am left feeling empty, taking no action beyond what is required to keep up with the minimums of living. I realize what I lack is an actual challenge towards growth. I should not do what is easy or expected of me, but what is exciting, difficult and scares me. I second the suggestions of travel; or more widely, a break from routine that will stretch your boundaries.

I am an artist, and another artist I met gave me advice about drawing that was also philosophically important: vision becomes clearer where the boundaries between light and dark meet; that is where you will see the details. If you find yourself unable to see where you are or where you want to go, find your boundaries to clear your vision, then fill in the details.

At least, that is what I am doing.

It also may help to think back on times you were inspired, and remind yourself when and why it happened. Travel was inspiring for me, for instance, but it was travel to places around where I lived, especially in nature. I took a journal and sketched and wrote about everything I saw. It inspired me because it broadened my view of the world that was right outside my door. It also began my career into microbiology because I also remembered one of my childhood inspirations: getting a toy microscope for Christmas. That microscope gave me a glimpse into tiny worlds and brought them to light. It provided joy. So, after three years of college and no direction, I started a path to become a microbiologist who draws what they see of those tiny worlds. However, I got lost somewhere along the way trying to make money and entered the stressful and monotonous day-to-day work life. My vision needs adjusting yet again.

Do you remember a time when you were inspired?

Last edited by Basilide; 01-10-2016 at 01:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health