Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 11:35 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times

Advertisements

No, you have a chosen a forum that has a pretty mature audience (despite some trolls.) I originally came from 4chan but grew out of that site and found myself here. But as with any content on the internet you must use your own judgement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 11:44 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
No, not at all.

Quote:
But as with any content on the internet you must use your own judgement.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:13 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
You know your limitations - that is quite amazing for a young man. That said, you do have some rather serious frustrations and that is unfortunate. Those frustrations are actually inhibiting you. You have this scenario in which you have a broken leg and need to get to hospital to get it fixed but you can't get there because your leg is broken! So you need an ambulance. Some form of plan of action. I don't know what to suggest. You need space in which to develop and you're not being given that space.

And stick to your guns. You know you would be at risk if you drank so don't drink. For what it's worth, I think you are showing a strength an inner wisdom you probably haven't given yourself credit for. Don't ever give up!

Take care
303Guy

Old 04-23-2014, 01:31 AM

513 posts, read 799,375 times
OP,
I graduated high school with a 3.8 GPA and was in all honors and AP courses. My parents didn't pay for my college, living expenses, etc. how are you 18 and have never worked? I started working when I was 15. I then saved up that entire summer to go to Europe as a student ambassador. I spent a month traveling to six different countries. I got a partial scholarship to multiple colleges, but since my parents have a high income, I didn't qualify for any aid (doesnt matter if they aren't helping). They also wouldn't co sign anything so I couldn't get a loan. I ended up having to pay for my car, rent, utilities, books, school, all by myself. After a semester of driving myself crazy (I was a biology major), I decided to take a semester off.

During my semester off I worked, worked, and worked some more. I set aside the money so I could go to community college since it was cheaper then transfer back to the "big name" university for the last few semesters since you end up with "big name " degree in the end either way.

I had a few set backs, I was in a coma after a drunk driver caused my car to flip after work one night on I-95. I was ejected 50 ft. Then shortly after I found out I was pregnant. Things were put on hold but I recently bought my first brand new car (paid in full), and bought my first home. I will also be restarting school when my daughter starts school this fall. This has been done through hard work, not being picky about jobs, and not relying on the government or my parents or my daughters father for anything. It's YOU'RE responsibility to take care of you! Stop talking and DO. You can't be picky.

Also, what's with the anxiety over driving...? No offense but that sounds like BS. The second I was able to I was driving after almost dying. Everyone has anxiety. But saying you can't drive....?

Before you can do anything else you need to get a job. Period. You can not do anything in life without first having a job. You can't pay for college, move out, etc until you save up money from a job, any job. You want to be a doctor, vet, or something along those lines? Those require serious responsibilities and hard work. You can't get there without doing 8+ years alone of school work, then 4+ years of training/residency afterwards. Get a job at a hospital in the kitchen, as a janitor, housekeeping, or transporting patients through the hospital. Most give decent benefits if you are able to work full time. Put off school for now. Finish high school. Work for at least a year. Then go back to school after developing work ethic and a savings account.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:35 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Let's consider the cycle of life. You start out in diapers, end up in diapers.

And with those on this site who are in their 70's, theoretically, there may be some "18 YO's" among that crowd?

Old 04-23-2014, 09:47 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
Everyone else is at least early 20s and a bunch of 30s and up.
Judging by some of the responses on this forum you are probably older than many regular members.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:51 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Everyone else is at least early 20s and a bunch of 30s and up.
It's not weird, but you've obviously chosen a forum that isn't for/populated by teens.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:58 PM

746 posts, read 866,506 times
Default Does being on social security disability prevent from moving out? Even though I'm 18?

My mom applied me for social security disability without telling me because she thought I wouldn't understand what it is and refuse it, so I get told AFTER that. I have a friend who has Aspergers and he seems functional to me, just doesn't talk unless you speak to him, and I remember him telling me something, I saw him talking to himself a d asked him if he was and he said no, I said do you see and hear people? He said kind of. Not exactly sure what that means. My mom told me (I thought he was a year older than me but my mom says he's 21). My mom and his mom talk sometimes. I remember my mom telling me he wouldn't be moving out of his parents house even at 18 cause they out him on social security disabilities. My question is will bring on it prevent me from being allowed to move out? It's for my OCD by the way.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:04 PM

746 posts, read 866,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's not weird, but you've obviously chosen a forum that isn't for/populated by teens.
There seems to be no teens anywhere on this whole site.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:13 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
There seems to be no teens anywhere on this whole site.
The minimum age to post here is 16.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health