Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,379 times

Advertisements

What if no meds or treatment have ever been successful for you in the past ten years. I've been in and out of psychiatric institutions and any relief I've found has been very short lived. Medication sometimes exacerbates my problems and I truly feel I'm at the end of my rope. I've tried everything and am willing to try anything new. What do you do when you've lost all your enthusiasm/hope? I am very very stuck and any progress I make is reversed at the last possible moment or was in the wrong direction to begin with. Confusion reigns supreme in my life and I feel physiologically different all the time. sometimes by the hour, sometimes for months. Can anyone give me anything new I can sink my teeth into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,051 times
I know exactly how you feel, I feel this way every day. I use to love the fall and winter seasons all the pumpkin recipes I use to make and now it feels like i do not have the energy to do much of anything at all. Sometimes there are days before I even take a shower unless I have to go out of the house. I have been on antidepressants for years and they must not be working because like you nothing makes me happy. I feel like I am just existing with nothing to look forward to, sometimes like the walking dead.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:48 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,119 times
My mood has completely fallen off a cliff in recent days. Some of it has to be weather related, but also circumstances. I felt like I was on the verge of a complete life revamp and was trying to actively make it happen but now it's all unraveling.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:58 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
^^^ Me too ^^^. I have had depression all my life. Took lots of different meds and finally about 8 months ago I slowly weaned myself off the last one because they only worked for a short time and then I was worse than when I started. It took awhile but I finally started to feel "normal".

Then something that I had been working toward for the last 4 years unraveled and it has thrown me back into the depression because it has effected a dream I have had for years. I'm still forcing myself to go to the gym 3x a week hoping that endorphins will be released and I will start feeling better but I wake up with such dread every morning.

I keep telling myself all the positive things in my life but once I get like this it isn't easy to break out of it.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:09 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
It's getting worse, barely able to make it through the day. Thankfully I only work 2 days a week.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:40 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
^^^ Me too ^^^. I have had depression all my life. Took lots of different meds and finally about 8 months ago I slowly weaned myself off the last one because they only worked for a short time and then I was worse than when I started. It took awhile but I finally started to feel "normal".

Then something that I had been working toward for the last 4 years unraveled and it has thrown me back into the depression because it has effected a dream I have had for years. I'm still forcing myself to go to the gym 3x a week hoping that endorphins will be released and I will start feeling better but I wake up with such dread every morning.

I keep telling myself all the positive things in my life but once I get like this it isn't easy to break out of it.
I was diagnosed as bp2 in my fourties. I was just 'different' before that. I've also had several surgeries for colitus which mean I absorb pills/meds in unpredictable ways, something very bad for psych meds. When I was under a huge stress, they upped it and I started passing out. I figured out on my own that it happened after a serequel. I then cut that and then the rest out without getting permission.

I do a whole lot better off meds, but circumstances can't be avoided. Memories ambush you and little things remind you. All the fears pour in. I take a st john's wort, one made in Europe under standards. It jolts me out of it. The rest of it I take are vitamins and supliments. Lately I've added D3 and magnesium and these are amazing.

I'd reccomend trying the last two, but get good quality formulas. I have chelated magnesium, which is easily absorbed, and well rated D3. I was astonished the first time, how the mood which felt like a big grey cloud pouring itself down from the sky, just vanished and didn't feel manic either.

I don't recall anyone in the medical establishment suggesting nutrition, except for b12, back then but I wonder how much better things would have gone if I'd had an alternative then.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:23 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,141 times
Nightbird would you post the brand and dosage for the D3 and magnesium?
Work helps because it gives me something tangible to b!+@# about.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:16 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Nightbird would you post the brand and dosage for the D3 and magnesium?
Work helps because it gives me something tangible to b!+@# about.
The D3 is Omegaboost Vitamin D3, 5000 IU

Viva Labs 100 % Chelated Magnesium, uncoated pills are 100 mg, dosage is 2.

I found both on Amazon along with information about the format and other important things.

I started checking Amazon first after my b12 didn't do much at all. I have to take that and can tell when I forget since I get very tired. But I discovered that there are two formats. The cheaper formula will help if you don't have a deficency, but need the methyl cobalamin form is you are treating a deficency. Since I started taking the right kind, I feel much less tired. Now I check all of the for form and to see if something else works better.

The D3 and magnesium are both in forms which are easily used and absorbed.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:24 AM

258 posts, read 234,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
I'm a guy in my mid twenties. The last 3 or so years have been a drag. I've felt almost frozen in time like nothing has really happened yet the clock always actually keeps ticking along. I don't know what caused the change, but somewhere around 2-3 years ago my perspective on life changed. I think a large part of it was coming to an acceptance that life is actually quite mundane and boring. My optimism changed to pessimism, my carefree nature changed to a on-edge and hot tempted one, and most of all nothing just seemed to make me happy anymore. It makes me regret the days as a kid and teenager "wishing I could grow up" and the illusions that adult life was awesome. In reality things were awesome back then. Friends were easy to come by, life was filled with a healthy mixture of fun and responsibility, and things were oh so much simpler.

But back to the main point of this thread, just nothing seems to really make me truly happy anymore. I can't seem to get any true fulfillment out of my life, and it's been quite hard to cope with when you feel like just a empty body going through the motions day in and day out. The hobbies and interests that used to entertain me endlessly now can barely rouse even a sense of enjoyment. Good friends have gone their separate ways, and new ones have proved incredibly challenging to make and hold on to. My work ambitions have gone down the drain after being laid off twice in my short career since graduating and the terrible bouts of unemployment in between. To be honest, I've become very cynical about the job market and workforce.

What to do? I've tried to stay active, I have a good relationship with my wife and hope to start a family soon, and try to stay as involved with friends and personal interests as I can, but just nothing seems to truly make me happy. If anything, these things are mere distractions to the fact life is actually quite unfulfilling and mundane. What in your lives makes you TRULY happy. Is it just perspective?

Try to find ONE thing to look forward to each day when you wake up. Even if it's that cup of coffee or ice cream and movie in the evening. That's what I do.....wish I had more advice.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:58 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
How to Enjoy Your Life in Spite of it all: by Ken Keyes, Jr.

Available very inexpensively from Amazon used. Read it. Memorize the pathways. Use them. If you do this, your life will turn around completely in about 6 weeks. Reading it without doing it will do nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health