U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 04:13 PM

15 posts, read 12,338 times

Advertisements

I am sure you all at one point have felt what anxiety feels like. it cripples me at moments that are the worst! I cant tell you how many times I had to go to the ER because I thought I was dying....any little heart racing or nervous feeling....almost like I get a huge rush through my body and I start to sweat and loose control of my thoughts and emotions. Its truly starting to kill me slowly. I am 34! I want to be able to get a hold of myself.
I have always had that feeling sometimes when my heart pounds and I can hear it or feel it....got an EKG and Heart stress test ultrasound and NOTHING! but then why do I get palpitations out of know where...even if I am not upset or worried...then I get worried....I dwell on it and wait and wait and worry....it makes me so sad.
thank you for letting me vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 05:00 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,325,580 times
I am 35 and had my fist panic attack 5 weeks ago. My brothers and my mom had anxiety issues and this was a firt for me. It was pretty scarry but I never went to the doctors about it since I knew what was happening since it runs in the family. My anxiety is almost all gone now. What worked for me was I quit drinking soda and sugary drinks, I started drinking tea (Green/Herbal Tea). I also started take St, Johns Wort. Which I was skeptical about but it seems to help me and my mood.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
I am 35 and had my fist panic attack 5 weeks ago. My brothers and my mom had anxiety issues and this was a firt for me. It was pretty scarry but I never went to the doctors about it since I knew what was happening since it runs in the family. My anxiety is almost all gone now. What worked for me was I quit drinking soda and sugary drinks, I started drinking tea (Green/Herbal Tea). I also started take St, Johns Wort. Which I was skeptical about but it seems to help me and my mood.
Hi
thank you for your reply!
anxiety
can be very scary! I do drink allot of coffee....I should start drinking green tea instead of coffee.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:37 AM

8,547 posts, read 5,287,811 times
Caffeine will greatly exacerbate anxiety. Giving up caffeine could help a lot. That includes green tea. Not easy to do but worth it if you are having panic attacks and anxiety.

Hyperthyroid can cause panic attacks and anxiety. Do you have any other symptoms of this? If so get your thyroid checked.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:51 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,657,183 times
I've been having panic attacks for a long time but the worst one happened this past May. I thought I was having a heart attack! My chest hurt so much and my skin got very flushed and I felt like my throat was closing. I almost called an ambulance.

Anxiety drives me crazy. It's been going through the roof lately and I feel like it's never going to end. I have had anxiety issues since I was a kid but after I had my daughter it got much worse.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:37 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,325,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Caffeine will greatly exacerbate anxiety. Giving up caffeine could help a lot. That includes green tea.
I quit drinking soda, I now only drink 1 cup of coffee in the morning and I drinks green tea throughout the day along with water. Green Tea has little caffine compared to coffee. I now have no anxiety issues currently and I hope it doesn't come back.

[LEFT]"A cup of coffee contains 100-150mg of caffeine; a cup of green tea has only about 25mg of caffeine"

Learn more: Does green tea have caffeine? Seven things you need to know - NaturalNews.com

[/LEFT]

Old 08-18-2014, 11:36 PM

289 posts, read 312,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathersforever View Post
why do I get palpitations out of know where...even if I am not upset or worried...then I get worried....I dwell on it and wait and wait and worry....it makes me so sad.
thank you for letting me vent.
I too went through about a decade of an anxiety disorder that culminated in the last few years with panic attacks. I want to share with you what I've learned about anxiety from this experience. I think understanding anxiety is the first step to overcoming it because when you recognize how it works, how it screws with your head, you start to get an understanding of you can beat it.

Anxiety plays out like a downward spiral. First you get the attacks because something triggers you. It could be something you're all too familiar with, like if being in traffic makes you nervous, or it could be something you don't even give any thought to, like maybe you are in the same aisle of the grocery store you were in the last time you had a panic attack there. You don't know how else to cope with things that stress you out so you start to dwell on things and let them fester. Then the anxiety spirals. You experience physical symptoms like difficulty breathing, and that worries you because you think it's a heart attack. This happens because your mind is confusing an anxiety-provoking situation for one in which you are in danger, so you have a fear reaction (and fear is a powerful, basic instinct) to something that should not be causing you fear. Eventually between the physical and psychological symptoms you feel you've lost control of the situation.

Even without the panic attack symptoms, anxiety breeds itself. You start to get anxiety about the fact that you have anxiety. You try to ignore it or distract yourself, but that doesn't work. It's like if I told you not to think about pink elephants. Now pink elephants are all you can see, right? Anxiety is the same way. The more you think about anxiety, the more power it gains over you. You have to break the cycle. I'm not going to get technical, but the human mind can be conditioned to behave in a lot of different ways (not unlike training a a dog to sit, and in fact dogs were used in some of these early conditioning experiments ), and with anxiety your mind becomes conditioned to respond to stress with anxiety. You have to decondition that behavioral pattern. There are lots of different treatment options for anxiety. There are medications that help prevent anxiety or help calm down panic attacks. There are various forms of psychotherapy, with cognitive behavioral therapy being among the top for anxiety disorders.

Again, I've been through anxiety before and I've been through medications and therapy. The advice I have to offer is that no matter what treatment you go with, you have to remain open to the idea that something will work for you, no matter how disheartened or anxious you get. There were many times during that 10 years when i thought there was no fix for me...until there was.Try to see the anxiety for what it is- a destructive thought pattern- and remember that you can change it.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello View Post
I too went through about a decade of an anxiety disorder that culminated in the last few years with panic attacks. I want to share with you what I've learned about anxiety from this experience. I think understanding anxiety is the first step to overcoming it because when you recognize how it works, how it screws with your head, you start to get an understanding of you can beat it.

Anxiety plays out like a downward spiral. First you get the attacks because something triggers you. It could be something you're all too familiar with, like if being in traffic makes you nervous, or it could be something you don't even give any thought to, like maybe you are in the same aisle of the grocery store you were in the last time you had a panic attack there. You don't know how else to cope with things that stress you out so you start to dwell on things and let them fester. Then the anxiety spirals. You experience physical symptoms like difficulty breathing, and that worries you because you think it's a heart attack. This happens because your mind is confusing an anxiety-provoking situation for one in which you are in danger, so you have a fear reaction (and fear is a powerful, basic instinct) to something that should not be causing you fear. Eventually between the physical and psychological symptoms you feel you've lost control of the situation.

Even without the panic attack symptoms, anxiety breeds itself. You start to get anxiety about the fact that you have anxiety. You try to ignore it or distract yourself, but that doesn't work. It's like if I told you not to think about pink elephants. Now pink elephants are all you can see, right? Anxiety is the same way. The more you think about anxiety, the more power it gains over you. You have to break the cycle. I'm not going to get technical, but the human mind can be conditioned to behave in a lot of different ways (not unlike training a a dog to sit, and in fact dogs were used in some of these early conditioning experiments ), and with anxiety your mind becomes conditioned to respond to stress with anxiety. You have to decondition that behavioral pattern. There are lots of different treatment options for anxiety. There are medications that help prevent anxiety or help calm down panic attacks. There are various forms of psychotherapy, with cognitive behavioral therapy being among the top for anxiety disorders.

Again, I've been through anxiety before and I've been through medications and therapy. The advice I have to offer is that no matter what treatment you go with, you have to remain open to the idea that something will work for you, no matter how disheartened or anxious you get. There were many times during that 10 years when i thought there was no fix for me...until there was.Try to see the anxiety for what it is- a destructive thought pattern- and remember that you can change it.

thank you for your reply!
it feels so great to know I am not alone. triggers are a HUGE deal for me. I sometimes feel like it turned me into a nervous worrywort!

Old 08-22-2014, 04:29 PM

8,929 posts, read 4,867,728 times
Had a case of free floating anxiety last night.....think it came on because I was dehydrated from a spaghetti meal with a white wine sauce and red wine in the glass, 9 hours previous.

Anyhow, felt very anxious, like the background of my fears were trying to come to the surface and take charge, "run the engines wild" as might be the phrase.

I could feel them there...........and I could feel my various control processes running, just below "the waves", keeping them in check, not allowing them to go any farther than what they were already at. I could feel the processes, well, was getting indications that they were there, but I couldn't identify them individually. And then about the time I reached 12 hours post meal, I guess things balanced down on the metabolism.

The thing is that over the years, I have developed semi automatic responses to my fears, to my worries. They are heavily rooted in my fantasy life and they may even be delusions to some extent or another................but they work for me.

There is a passage from a Dr. Who novel, "The Sun Makers". In it, Leela is approaching battle but she is feeling anxious and she shouldn't be feeling that for she is an experienced warrioress. K-9 tells her that there is a drug in the air that is causing her to have this reaction. Leela does not quite understand the terminology that K-9 uses but in her own way......."she was feeling anxious because of the magic of her enemies. If there wasn't a real reason, if it was magic, then she would disregard the feeling and carry on.".

(or words to that effect; I think the last time I may have read that book was in the late 90's, if then).

Hence, it may help to define situations in a manner that is comfortable and useful to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health