Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 11:49 AM

543 posts, read 943,410 times

Advertisements

Lately I decided to take charge of my life. I go back in history and record my observation and antics.
I know something is off. I don't "feel" anything. The rush for life isn't there doesn't matter I am lying down(which I do 18 hours a day) or I am on a roller coaster.

The therapist I am seeing now(4 sessions together) says there are hints of depression and perhaps ADHD.
I just know this has to be it. So much so that I looked up rTMS and I know that might set me normal. It is expensive and they do suggest it only for severe cases for whom anti depressants haven't worked. But I just feel it. I have never taken any anti depressants and I haven't been diagnosed with depression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 04:25 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Everything I have read about TMS suggests it is a treatment of last resort (or nearly so) for depression. Since you are in therapy only a short while, I'd suggest you stick with that a while longer and maybe try medication (as prescribed by a psycho-pharmacologist), as the two combined -- therapy and medication -- are now the first level treatments for depression. If your therapist is not a psychiatrist (who can prescribe) talk over with him/her the possibility of seeing one. But don't jump the gun. Save the TMS until you've tried the standard treatments first and you can say for sure that they've failed. And trust your therapist. He (or she) is on your side.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:02 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,982,960 times
You say you don't feel anything and you lie there 18 hours a day or you'r on a roller coaster. That sounds like dopamine deficiency depression but not so much like ADHD. Take out the H then maybe. The roller coaster thing could be GABA deficiency. Anyway, that's up to your professional expert to figure out. I just mention the dopamine thing because there seems to be several forms of depression and the one with no feeling/motivation/lifeless is said to be dopamine related. Mood swings is said to be GABA related and so on.

I do have a harmless suggestion (this has worked for me); Raw cashews - lots of them. Also avocado. I also take omega3 oils and multi B group vitamins plus magnesium and B6 (among the range of vitamins and minerals). However, I have anxiety and emotional pain type depression (serotonin deficiency) which responds to the above. But like I said, it's harmless and can only be of benefit, even if only on the nutrition level. Oh, cut out sugar. Also cut down on coffee - not more than two or three a day. Better none.

All the best with your therapist and do take up the suggestion of seeing a psych or similar.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Everything I have read about TMS suggests it is a treatment of last resort (or nearly so) for depression. Since you are in therapy only a short while, I'd suggest you stick with that a while longer and maybe try medication (as prescribed by a psycho-pharmacologist), as the two combined -- therapy and medication -- are now the first level treatments for depression. If your therapist is not a psychiatrist (who can prescribe) talk over with him/her the possibility of seeing one. But don't jump the gun. Save the TMS until you've tried the standard treatments first and you can say for sure that they've failed. And trust your therapist. He (or she) is on your side.
Yes, you are correct,
I have my session in an hour and I intend to ask him about rTMS. I am sure if he will not suggest it, but I'll hear what he says. I know myself and somehow I know this is the case for all mankind. Suffering in silence and it is down to genetics. Nothing more. Pure bad luck- bad genetics. And if technology can be of assistance I say bring it on. From all the reviews I've read rTMS is doing good.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
You say you don't feel anything and you lie there 18 hours a day or you'r on a roller coaster. That sounds like dopamine deficiency depression but not so much like ADHD. Take out the H then maybe. The roller coaster thing could be GABA deficiency. Anyway, that's up to your professional expert to figure out. I just mention the dopamine thing because there seems to be several forms of depression and the one with no feeling/motivation/lifeless is said to be dopamine related. Mood swings is said to be GABA related and so on.

I do have a harmless suggestion (this has worked for me); Raw cashews - lots of them. Also avocado. I also take omega3 oils and multi B group vitamins plus magnesium and B6 (among the range of vitamins and minerals). However, I have anxiety and emotional pain type depression (serotonin deficiency) which responds to the above. But like I said, it's harmless and can only be of benefit, even if only on the nutrition level. Oh, cut out sugar. Also cut down on coffee - not more than two or three a day. Better none.

All the best with your therapist and do take up the suggestion of seeing a psych or similar.

Thank you so much 303guy. Yes, this deficiency aspect has me worried. For the longest of time I thought I had testosterone deficiency and even took a thorough test. As it turned out I had an overabundance of testosterone but something wrong with iodine. My father and his mother both had hypo(or hyperthyroidism) can't remember. My father was a, and still is a chain smoker and he became stick thin. Like a living corpse. We feared cancer but as it turned out he had a thyroid issue.

But my case is worse than this I am sure. All my life...I have just confided to my therapist an hour back and he still says there are traces of depression but we have to take our time.

No sugar? One of the best remedies I feel I have is marijuana. I am stoned all day and it helps me. It pacified and makes me happy. But the side effect of this is I crave junk food and I love chocolates. Sweets taste better with weed.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:16 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,203 times
boy oh boy
there is NO way I am going to seek medical advice from a message board!!!
why are folks giving medical advice on here???/

Old 10-14-2014, 04:41 PM

26,723 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I know something is off. I don't "feel" anything. The rush for life isn't there doesn't matter I am lying down(which I do 18 hours a day) or I am on a roller coaster. The therapist I am seeing now(4 sessions together) says there are hints of depression and perhaps ADHD.
I don't understand what "hints of depression" is. After four sessions, the therapist has not given you a clearer diagnosis? You can get a pretty good idea of what clinical depression from this:
http://www.nami.org/Content/Navigati..._D_Episode.pdf

Quote:
I looked up rTMS and I know that might set me normal. It is expensive and they do suggest it only for severe cases for whom anti depressants haven't worked. But I just feel it. I have never taken any anti depressants and I haven't been diagnosed with depression.
It's unlikely that a therapist would recommend rTMS before referring you to an M.D. for an antidepressant first.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I don't understand what "hints of depression" is. After four sessions, the therapist has not given you a clearer diagnosis? You can get a pretty good idea of what clinical depression from this:
http://www.nami.org/Content/Navigati..._D_Episode.pdf

It's unlikely that a therapist would recommend rTMS before referring you to an M.D. for an antidepressant first.
Nope.
He says we have already begin cognitive therapy. It's costing me 65 per session. He is a university student(around 34) and he is under supervision from his head the main doctor. Today my 4th session was complete and I asked me to tell me if there is anything. He says right now he can't see anything, though there are hints of depression.

The rTMS is with a doctor I know. I'll just go and enquire. I have never been diagnosed anything.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:52 AM

11,020 posts, read 5,982,960 times
Quote:
No sugar? One of the best remedies I feel I have is marijuana. I am stoned all day and it helps me. It pacified and makes me happy. But the side effect of this is I crave junk food and I love chocolates. Sweets taste better with weed.
My son was like that too. He sometimes delightedly spoke of getting a sugar high! He was 'self medicating' on weed and alcohol. When he took week he seemed like a normal bright, young man. I believe he may have suffered from GABA deficiency. From what I read, it all lines up.

But anyway, all I can suggest/advise is good nutrition. Therapeutic nutrition in fact. All I can go on is what I've read and what I'm doing. That includes medication under a psychiatrist. My meds are simply, mirtazapine and doxepin. These do not give motivation which is something I actually need.

I do believe cognitive therapy is effective (haven't done it myself though, perhaps I should).

Quote:
... why are folks giving medical advice on here???/
I believe you would call it compassion. We care so we do the best we can.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:39 PM

26,723 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
He is a university student...and he is under supervision from his head the main doctor.
Then he's either doing his practicum or is an intern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health