Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:02 AM

27 posts, read 103,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
The amount of kids being diagnosed with this condition is absurd. Its been around I am sure since the beginning of time yet only now is it a real problem? Some ppl just have short attention spans. The education system should have more programs catered to ppl like this and help them with their strengths instead of giving them a drug and trying to mold them into what are lousy education system considers ideal.
I have adhd but not as severe as when I was young. When I was young I had it real bad. It has gone away a bit but now that i am 21 I can't handle boredom. It is really bad. It's like I have to be doing something all the time. I drove 4hrs today and that cost me $20 in gas. I asked my doctor for some ritalin and he said it wasn't a good idea because I am on olanzapine and citalopram for my depression. But I think I got my depression from boredom in the first place.

Man it sucks, I wanna go on ritalin so bad.

I can't handle boredom aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Not true. It depends on the severity of it. I've seen children so hyperactive the only way to get them to sit still would have been to hog-tie them - not a good way to live, for the kid, the parents, or the other siblings who were normal. And we had one roommate who had fairly severe ADHD, he was in his 30s at the time, and had had it pretty much all his life, but was never medicated. It was a nightmare, and we finally had to ask him to move. This was a man who couldn't - literally could not - watch a single show at a time on TV. He had 4 sets in his room, all tuned to different channels, and constantly surfed all of them. He couldn't read anything that was more than 3 or 4 pages long, he couldn't hold a single conversational topic for more than a few minutes, and he couldn't hold a job. His fallback income was another friend who had a garage and paid him to clean it up a couple times a week. Nice guy, in small doses, but simply not possible to live with, not even as a roommate. I can't imagine what it would have been like for someone trying to have a more personal relationship with him.
That is extremely funny I almost died laughing.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
The amount of kids being diagnosed with this condition is absurd. Its been around I am sure since the beginning of time yet only now is it a real problem? Some ppl just have short attention spans. The education system should have more programs catered to ppl like this and help them with their strengths instead of giving them a drug and trying to mold them into what are lousy education system considers ideal.
Funny as hell almost died laughing

Old 08-11-2009, 09:46 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,051,528 times
It all depends on scale, simple boredom is part of the human condition, some take to repetition and novelty differently. Most jobs are boring, even more so if you are in a numbers field (IT, Finance, Accounting) and can use computers to automate things and things get easier. I've always found that I need something more to do when I am at work or I would go insane from system downtime, processing time, and validations. Ebooks have been my answer to get some mental stretching when things are running.

Extreme boredom and restlessness can be a sign of ADD, ADHD, bipolar, or an anxiety disorder. In those cases you need professional help in order to get things normal, but they are usually to an extreme well beyond boredom and have trouble in regular activities.

I knew some one as a good example that could not sit still, ever, she would read 1 or 2 pages and have to run around...she would ask you to help her with something and in 3 minutes get up and start playing a computer game. Then pretty much after the save game loaded she was outside playing with her soccer ball. She would then get bored and call a friend, and by the time they got through with "Hi how are you" she would end the call and go to a punching bag and use it for a minute or two. Just watching her was exhausting.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:24 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I know many people who can do just about nothing all day and not get bored. I know people who do the same tedious tasks at work- day after day and they do not get bored. I know people who can sit and stare into space for long periods of time and not get bored. Are these people mentally right?

I have always struggled with boredom. It is not a question of staying busy but the typical activities found in life just do not keep my mind active enough to relieve the boredom. My mind goes thousand miles an hour and I bore easily. Do not tell me to get a new hobby, that is not the issue.

Maybe boredom is more common than I think, or maybe few people are really bored like me and it is more like a mental illness. Tell us about boredom in your life.
Okay. Something I firmly believe in, is that being bored is a Cardinal Sin in American culture. If we're not busy-busy-busy every minute of the day, running around like pomeranians, and afraid to relax and, well ~ do nothing for a few minutes, then we feel guilty for wasting time.

I, myself, don't fall into that category. I enjoy being a little bored for a little while. In fact, I'm tacking on two days to this weekend to have more time alone at home to read, listen to music, bike, walk, whatever I want. And chances are I'll spend more time lying out in my back yard, doing nothing but sunbathe and listen to background music, than anything else. Guilt never figures in. Neither does boredom, come to think of it. And if I do get truly bored, chances are that I will nap (which is something else that is another Cardinal Sin in America).

Old 08-11-2009, 04:13 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
Boredom is simply a message from the inner self letting us know that we need a meaningful challenge in our lives.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:52 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,251,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Your problem can be treated with medication.

You should discuss this with your Physican
Yikes!

Not another pill!

Believe me, pills are boring, find something else to pique your interest!

Old 08-12-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It all depends on scale, simple boredom is part of the human condition, some take to repetition and novelty differently. Most jobs are boring, even more so if you are in a numbers field (IT, Finance, Accounting) and can use computers to automate things and things get easier. I've always found that I need something more to do when I am at work or I would go insane from system downtime, processing time, and validations. Ebooks have been my answer to get some mental stretching when things are running.

Extreme boredom and restlessness can be a sign of ADD, ADHD, bipolar, or an anxiety disorder. In those cases you need professional help in order to get things normal, but they are usually to an extreme well beyond boredom and have trouble in regular activities.

I knew some one as a good example that could not sit still, ever, she would read 1 or 2 pages and have to run around...she would ask you to help her with something and in 3 minutes get up and start playing a computer game. Then pretty much after the save game loaded she was outside playing with her soccer ball. She would then get bored and call a friend, and by the time they got through with "Hi how are you" she would end the call and go to a punching bag and use it for a minute or two. Just watching her was exhausting.
I will do that and talk to someone about it, it is driving me nuts 24/7 except when sleeping.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:51 PM

23,211 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Default Thought--less--ness

I have found that Eastern Philosophy can be a great help as well. One of the aims of Bhuddism is to become thought-less. Aren't all thoughts entertainment to the mind? And the mind is a glutton for entertainment.

Intelligence and intellectualism are two different animals. Intellectualism calls for thought. Intelligence is the realm of intuition, contentedness. I believe intelligent people are never bored, but intellectuals have a much greater tendency towards boredom. Thought is the engine for their boredom.

It's hard to control thought. I've tried to cut off that entertainment to the mind, and is hard for me to do it more than 30 seconds. The mind starts crying if it is ignored and demands attention, entertainment, thoughts. And we become a slave to the thought process. The body obeys the mind.

Once thought ceases, clamness appears.

Oftentimes, at night in bed, with the mind racing at 100MPH, all one has to do is stop the thought process and you're off to sleep.

The mind is like a house, with windows and doors, and we all want to become masters of our "houses". If you're not a master of your "house", then
"anyone" (any thought) that comes knocking at your door or the window of your house, you let it in, and before long they're at the refrigerator eating cookies and milk, relaxing in an easy chair, and it can be hard to get these "guests" out of your house.

A Master of one's house takes control. It says to these guests: I'm going to sleep now, everybody out! Come back tomorrow. And even if you're not going to sleep, be more strict with your "guests", take control of them.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Okay. Something I firmly believe in, is that being bored is a Cardinal Sin in American culture. If we're not busy-busy-busy every minute of the day, running around like pomeranians, and afraid to relax and, well ~ do nothing for a few minutes, then we feel guilty for wasting time.

I, myself, don't fall into that category. I enjoy being a little bored for a little while. In fact, I'm tacking on two days to this weekend to have more time alone at home to read, listen to music, bike, walk, whatever I want. And chances are I'll spend more time lying out in my back yard, doing nothing but sunbathe and listen to background music, than anything else. Guilt never figures in. Neither does boredom, come to think of it. And if I do get truly bored, chances are that I will nap (which is something else that is another Cardinal Sin in America).
I am the same, I can do nothing on the weekend, but when you have no job like me it is hard having nothing to do.

For example after a long day at work I can spend the whole evening staring at a wall easy as. It's just at the moment with the recession boredom is driving me mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health