Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 06:01 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronicaMango View Post
Hello everyone. This summer I moved across the country to get some (literal and figurative) distance from my toxic family. While it's been an overwhelmingly positive change thus far, I am rather conflicted now that the holidays are here. Not that we ever did the happy family holidays thing, but it is uncomfortable to be alone when so many people will be getting together with large groups of family and friends.

For people in a similar situation, what do you do instead (I do not know anyone here well enough to attend their family's Thanksgiving, so that is not an option)? How do you deal with people's questions of what your plans are without having to reveal you are estranged from your family?

go volunteer some where
I work all holidays I have a pet service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 07:19 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Plan a vacation, around Xmas/Thanksgiving, where you'll forget all about the holidays taking place!

Go to a country where Xmas is not celebrated, where there'll be no reminders, no Xmas songs, no Xmas lights!

Even coming to Las Vegas might do the trick!
I've gone to Vegas many times over holidays!

Old 12-06-2014, 07:22 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
In many instances, not being with family is not the issue. The issue is worrying about what others may think about you if you're not spending the day with relatives.

In the final analysis, it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks; and reasons or excuses are unnecessary.
EXACTLY! And that is why I am consciously always honest regarding my family estrangement. I want to lessen the stigma with " in yo face honesty."

Old 12-09-2014, 01:56 PM

59 posts, read 63,617 times
Half the time all the awesome times we think we are missing with "family" are just Hallmark fantasy holidays.

Remember the drunk uncles, the angry brother, the jealous sister in law, the bragging cousins--the drama lovers? There will be the one or two inconsiderate relatives who show up late or complain Mom is cooking too early, too late, or they don't eat fat/meat/vegetarian/pasta sauces/desserts.

They are more likely the characters you will meet in real life at these "wonderful family events."

I like to stay home with my husband and son, cook what WE like, eat when WE want, and chill. Avoiding DRAMA is great.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:00 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
What Are Holidays Like For People Estranged From Family?

Peaceful, drama free.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:26 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMountainFame1992 View Post
Half the time all the awesome times we think we are missing with "family" are just Hallmark fantasy holidays.

Remember the drunk uncles, the angry brother, the jealous sister in law, the bragging cousins--the drama lovers? There will be the one or two inconsiderate relatives who show up late or complain Mom is cooking too early, too late, or they don't eat fat/meat/vegetarian/pasta sauces/desserts.

They are more likely the characters you will meet in real life at these "wonderful family events."

I like to stay home with my husband and son, cook what WE like, eat when WE want, and chill. Avoiding DRAMA is great.
What makes me sad when I allow myself to think about it is that when Mom and Dad were alive, and my Aunt and Uncle just lived across town, and Grandma too, we got together as extended family often. I even got to know my grandmothers sisters and brothers and their families. We shared holidays. We had Easter. Grandma had Thanksgiving, and my Aunt had Christmas. My cousins and I together were a year apart. I was an only child but felt like I had brothers and sister.

Then cousins got married, moved, divorced, we moved, people died....

My ex's family took me in and I do care for them, but their still not my own. I don't notice it most of the time, but I do when its holiday time and as much as I love my fil, I'd like Dad to be there to enjoy the day with more. We get over losing people we love, and after a while don't think about it, except for the days when we were used to them being there. Love you, Mom, and Dad and Grandma and all the rest.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:47 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
It's been my experience that some people who are estranged from their families have friends they are close to, who might often be in similar situations, so it's easier for people like that.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:07 PM

14 posts, read 40,934 times
Since I've been the black sheep of my family for too many years to count, I've learned how to have more enjoyable holidays with close friends who've been far more nurturing and fun loving than what I ever experienced in my own family.

It used to bother me that I didn't have a more loving family, especially if I met others who came from loving homes. Now that I'm older and a little wiser, I'm better at accepting what is, as opposed to wishing, hoping and praying for what, apparently, isn't meant to be.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:46 PM

59 posts, read 63,617 times
I remember as a kid we didn't have any aunts or uncles (my parents spent many years estranged from my mother's family). We did have my fathers numerous aunts and uncles that would visit and spend time with us at the holidays or on weekends.

When this older generation died or got sick, all that ended. Then the next one gets too old or tired to make it to events or gatherings. Or, like in our case, we live too far away to just hop over to the home state and visit. People no longer get a week of at Christmas like when I was younger. We can't go to our home state for a day because of traffic, weather, and lack of time.

My son is an only and has no family on either side that wants to have a real relationship. All he has is myself and my husband. This hurts and makes me sad. I just hope he eventually marries and has a nice wife with a decent family.

Meanwhile, we do the best we can for him.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:09 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
After my mom died and then dad lost it, I had to not be alone for Thanksgiving. There is a science fiction Convention which has been held for many years in Los Angeles called Loscon. Its put on by LASFS *Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society* founded in the early thirties and never missed a meeting since. It's the oldest science fiction club in the world. This was my second family. What made the difference for me when family was gone was this family was still there. I call some of the people I care about friends, but they're really more than that. And as the con starts the Friday after turkey day, I went to every one of them until I moved.

Moving was good and necessary, but my friends and local fandom was the part I missed the most. I tried to go back to LA for the con one year. It got very cold and I worried about pipes and house and yet if I had someone to make sure house and four legged kids were all right, If the money was there I'd go. Family is not just what your born with or move into, but what you find. Fandom to me IS my family now. I went to a convention in OKC a couple years ago, not knowing anyone, and had a blast, and felt completely comfortable. I even got to go to the private closing party. I've not just attended cons but worked them most of the time, run regrestration at one small one, the con suit at a few and assorted other jobs which make you feel like you belong. I belonged. I spent the weekend following thanksgiving looking up old stuff about past conventions and missed them terribly.

It's made me think about ways to reach out and find my like people even if its not going to be as easy as back there in California. I know they're here. I just don't know how to find them. Yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health