Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 07:19 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
But if I did let him do what he wanted I would be there to see him in horrible agony. I have thought many times about just giving him all his meds including heart, kidney meds and let him be in charge and say have at it. but he would not keep them straight. Have you taken your morning pills, no have you taken your night pills no, do you need a pain pill no. That's on my mind 24/7. My ship is about to sink and I have no life vest. I am going to find a good therapist, don't know how to find a good one but I will work on it. Maybe it's ME that needs therapy to learn how to deal with this. Take care
You're putting his well-being waaaay over yours. Rather than see him in "horrible agony", you'll go through it yourself. (the compassionate act of one who loves another more than themself). The mind is even more important than the physical shell we reside in.
Put his pills on the table where he knows that they are....marked morning and night. Don't leave the pain pills where he can access them. It may sound cruel, but I wouldn't give him any until he's taken the other, necessary ones first....Anyone I've EVER known who suffers severe pain (myself included at times) NEVER NEVER forgets to take those pain pills..........If he finds he's in "horrible agony" he'll remember mighty quick. He doesn't have to right now because you're living that part of his life for him. It's not your ship that's sinking tarajane, it's his, and you've decided to go down with him.
It's only because you're feeling so down about your life, that I feel OK to say that you need to tell him you ain't babysitting his meds anymore.....maybe the pain is what he needs...to straighten him out and make him want to do what he needs knows doing. Why should you do that?...they're HIS conditions, not yours, yet it sounds like they're hurting you more than him.....and that can only happen if you let it. You gotta love yourself too...
He's a grown man...it can't always be about him, and just because he's disabled does not mean it has to.
You need to believe that, and not feel bad that you do. Your life is precious too, you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 07:51 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,343,862 times
Quote:
But if I did let him do what he wanted I would be there to see him in horrible agony. I have thought many times about just giving him all his meds including heart, kidney meds and let him be in charge and say have at it. but he would not keep them straight. Have you taken your morning pills, no have you taken your night pills no, do you need a pain pill no. That's on my mind 24/7. My ship is about to sink and I have no life vest. I am going to find a good therapist, don't know how to find a good one but I will work on it. Maybe it's ME that needs therapy to learn how to deal with this. Take care
There you go! You have touched on the solution for you. While you started your thread with self-anger over your frustration with DH's limitations, the real anger trigger is that he seems to have a purpose that you are not aligned with. You have several justified fears over his interest in changing his medications so there is a control issue also invovled. You resent all the responsibility but refuse to give it to him because you don't agree with his idea. This is overwhelming and makes you question your competance to emotionally handle the demands of a very ill partner as well as whether you really love him. Therapy needed to sort thru all this! Perhaps you fear what you will learn, and already know but hopefully you will develop the tools to come up with and manage a plan that helps you work thru all this with a lighter heart and clear head.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:32 PM

676 posts, read 936,346 times
Thanks to all of you. You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I am going to therapy when I can find a good one. I would love to feel if just for a little bit, mentally free with no worries, doesn't everyone want that? Maybe I can work on that. Thanks again, I hope this helped others in this situation. Carry on.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:42 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,997 times
Cannabis oil would be a good treatment, but not allowed in most states & countries to protect wealth and power. It is God's plant, not synthetic chemicals. Helps hundreds of conditions. If you want to see where it is legal in US norml.org/ Wikipedia has worldwide info on legality or lack of it. It has been proven to help alcoholics cut back. Fights most cancers & other fatal illnesses, helps almost any mental condition. I know of 2 on pacemakers that use cannabis with no problems. Docs are brainwashed about this. Best wishes.

Quote:
He is not the same man I married nor am I the same person. He is in real orthopaedic pain it is real. He is on Methadone. He needs a shoulder replacement but he has stage 3 kidney disease a quad bypass and a pacemaker and 3 stents and they don't know if he can survive the surgery. He wants to get off the Methadone but won't do it medically. He thinks if he just quits taking it nothing will happen to him... Withdrawal kills. He would also drink if I didn't throw such a ***** fit when he mentions it. Comes from a family of alcoholics but back then I didn't know much about stuff like that. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health