Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 08:58 PM

7 posts, read 4,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Does anyone here suffer from physical conditions caused by anxiety?

ie: high BP, migraines, spasms, etc

I have, or HAD stapedial myoclonus tensor tympani syndrome. I was diagnosed with it earlier this year and had surgery to address it.

Long story short - for those not familiar with this condition (many Doctors never even heard of it), it's basically 2 tendons in your middle ear that spasm and hit your eardrum, which causes a drum beat sound in your ear. As you can imagine, it is MADDENING! Which is why I jumped at the chance to have surgery immediately after the diagnosis.

The problem is, while I may not have that drum-beat sound in my ear anymore, I still have some lingering symptoms with my ear.

I was curious to know if anyone else suffers from this, or any other conditions as a result of anxiety.
I'll get classic migraine auras if I've been really stressed out. I can almost set my watch to it the day AFTER I have a lot of stress. Starts with a little blind spot in my vision which turns into the classic "c shaped" zig-zag lines, and lasts for about 30 minutes or so as it grows and moves to the left of my field of vision. A mild headache and a generally washed out feeling usually follows for the remainder of the day. These episodes suck, but they're also my cue to cool it on the stress, lest I want another one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 05:26 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,476,332 times
Morning!

I'm on my phone and can't find the post which earlier questioned the brain's inability to take a joke. A couple of hours ago, I inadvertently came across this video. Granted, it is pedestrian, but it is also informative, so I thought I'd share it with you. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/cLqjK3ddSy0

Mahrie.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:01 AM

4,172 posts, read 3,365,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekilljoy View Post
I'll get classic migraine auras if I've been really stressed out. I can almost set my watch to it the day AFTER I have a lot of stress. Starts with a little blind spot in my vision which turns into the classic "c shaped" zig-zag lines, and lasts for about 30 minutes or so as it grows and moves to the left of my field of vision. A mild headache and a generally washed out feeling usually follows for the remainder of the day. These episodes suck, but they're also my cue to cool it on the stress, lest I want another one.

Don't they? Same here.

I also get the OP's drumbeat in my ear, especially if I'm anywhere that has a certain background resonance. Even supermarket refrigerators can trigger it.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:21 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,587,796 times
I can't stop believing how magnesium deficiency is involved including the anxiety issues. A couple friends are now dealing with afib and I believe mag deficiency was a major part of this and the heart issues. They are now taking much more mag and working to get off some of the pharma drugs.

Does Magnesium Work For Anxiety?

I have so many older friends and KNOW they don't take nearly enough mag if any. All have issues with their health.

For me, about 15 yrs ago I had what they said was a panic attack and I know I was not taking nearly enough mag back then, I've learned and lot since then and keep learning.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:04 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,139,450 times
My digestive system is not fond of anxiety

Old 10-16-2016, 05:26 PM

17,465 posts, read 38,886,587 times
I know this is an older thread, but I really appreciated reading everyone's posts. They make me feel better about my own situation. My entire life for as long as I can remember I have suffered from extreme anxiety, phobias, panic attacks, compulsions, etc. I have tinnitus, and occasionally get the "ear beats." I did have a problem with benign PVCs, which knock on wood, haven't had for a couple years now. I think more magnesium helped that issue, along with some deep myofascial work. I am Type 2 diabetic, tend to have high blood pressure in panic situations (like going to any kind of doctor) sensitivity to any type of medicines or anesthetics, and find myself panicked, stressed and worried over things people barely give a thought to. It does seem to run in my family.

I feel like most of my issues are physical in nature and origin; I just seem to be wired differently; however it goes hand in hand with how I feel emotionally and mentally. I have periods when I do better or worse depending on what is going on in my life. I really appreciate Mahrie's post and video, it helped me to put my situation in perspective.

Not really asking for any advice here, just looking for threads that would make me feel better, and this one did, so thank you.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:30 AM

236 posts, read 256,162 times
I've had pretty bad bruxism for about 12 years. My teeth used to be perfectly straight and beautiful but now a few of them are chipped, transluscent, have faint vertical lines, and may have actually shifted. I wear a nightguard every night but still wake up feeling like I've been fighting all night and with a headache. Grinding my teeth has basically ruined my teeth and my entire life (really not exaggerating, I'm exhausted most of the time) and it's impossible to stop at night. I'm really worried that I may break off large pieces of teeth or lose them altogether. Also, my job requires a great deal of attention to detail and it would be so much easier if I could sleep like a normal person. I haven't really been happy since this started, it's no way to live and dentists and doctors haven't been helpful.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:27 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,695,306 times
I recommend to you a book called "Cure" by Jo Marchand.
In it she demonstrates - with scientific evidence - many cases of anxiety and other mental states causing physical issues.
She also suggests that what the mind creates, the mind can heal.
Meditation for example lowers blood pressure. Scientifically proven.

Quote:
Does anyone here suffer from physical conditions caused by anxiety?

ie: high BP, migraines, spasms, etc

I have, or HAD stapedial myoclonus tensor tympani syndrome. I was diagnosed with it earlier this year and had surgery to address it.

Long story short - for those not familiar with this condition (many Doctors never even heard of it), it's basically 2 tendons in your middle ear that spasm and hit your eardrum, which causes a drum beat sound in your ear. As you can imagine, it is MADDENING! Which is why I jumped at the chance to have surgery immediately after the diagnosis.

The problem is, while I may not have that drum-beat sound in my ear anymore, I still have some lingering symptoms with my ear.

I was curious to know if anyone else suffers from this, or any other conditions as a result of anxiety.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:30 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,695,306 times
I also would recommend anyone suffering from anxiety try the magnesium remedy.

It can't hurt, you won't get addicted, no bad effects, and it might help.

I didn't notice anything with magnesium pills, but I have been taking Calm Magnesium - a powder you mix in water - and I do think it is helping me be more calm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I can't stop believing how magnesium deficiency is involved including the anxiety issues. A couple friends are now dealing with afib and I believe mag deficiency was a major part of this and the heart issues. They are now taking much more mag and working to get off some of the pharma drugs.

Does Magnesium Work For Anxiety?

I have so many older friends and KNOW they don't take nearly enough mag if any. All have issues with their health.

For me, about 15 yrs ago I had what they said was a panic attack and I know I was not taking nearly enough mag back then, I've learned and lot since then and keep learning.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:37 PM

776 posts, read 575,870 times
Quote:
-Autism, and it is not fun. I get muscles all over my body to involuntary move. Extremely painful at times, especially if they work against each other.
-They have a name for it but I forgot, it is when a chamber in the heart fails to operate. Stops you in your tracks, like someone punched you in the heart. I am ok for know as it is just limited to one heart beat and I'm young, but my mother is having troubles as it has increase to two - four beats with her.
-IBS, internal and uncontrollable; and this is closely related to anxiety.
......Isn't neurosystem failure fun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health