Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 09:16 AM

102 posts, read 138,781 times

Advertisements

Every time I read about anxiety symptoms, it seems like this is a tell-tale sign of social anxiety - but, I'm not socially anxious.

With 40 million Americans with anxiety disorders, I feel I would see more people out there that get visibly uncomfortable in social settings when they're feeling anxious. When I have something preoccupying my mind, I have a real hard time focusing in conversations, and I have to think people notice. Maybe that's just my anxiety talking!

Again, this may be a "duh" type of question, but I don't like being labeled as socially anxious. (I know this shouldn't matter)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 05:01 PM

52 posts, read 46,858 times
You have to be excessively anxious about the social interaction for it to be social anxiety.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:17 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,360,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH89 View Post
Every time I read about anxiety symptoms, it seems like this is a tell-tale sign of social anxiety - but, I'm not socially anxious.

With 40 million Americans with anxiety disorders, I feel I would see more people out there that get visibly uncomfortable in social settings when they're feeling anxious. When I have something preoccupying my mind, I have a real hard time focusing in conversations, and I have to think people notice. Maybe that's just my anxiety talking!

Again, this may be a "duh" type of question, but I don't like being labeled as socially anxious. (I know this shouldn't matter)
It appears you have too much on your mind and unable to severe OTHER worries and stressors OUT of your mind..when just socializing. Most people socialize in order to forget home life/education pressures or financial pressures. It's a skill that can be learned..however..IF such stressors are affecting regular social setting interactions..it's a red flag..YOU are unable to separate...That does NOT mean you have to FORGET everything. But learn to "Compartmentalize" to some extent ( in a healthy way)..sure does make things a lot easier!! However, when doing such separation of emotions/fear/stress or whatever..be very careful to use this skill selectively.

Maybe attempt to figure out just what you are pre-occupied with..and why it's disabling yur ability to function socially..What's the priority?? etc

Why Being Able to Compartmentalize Is a Key Ingredient for Risk-taking - Knowledge@Wharton

Old 09-23-2015, 06:18 PM

551 posts, read 580,945 times
I have anxiety as well (socially and general) and it helps me to remind myself that no one thinks about you as much as you think about you. Picture it: AS you said, you never really "see" other "socially anxious" people. We might notice some interesting characters, some real oddballs, but having anxiety is not really at all obvious to others. They might think you are quiet, maybe antsy or whatever, but mostly? They don't think about you at all to that extent. Truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health