Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 12:22 AM

710 posts, read 584,011 times

Advertisements

I'm 18 years old and I have a problem that I have seemed to have for as long as I can remember. For some reason, I just can't seem to grasp and do basic tasks that other people seem to have no difficulty doing. That is the best way to describe it. It's like if I'm given even a simple task to do, my mind goes blank. I'll give an example. I was going through an obstacle course and there was a rope part, it looked like this http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/157781/f...=1443127875435 and about 10 people went before me. Everyone navigated through it with no problem but when I got to it, I tried to get on it (the wrong way of course) and I had to keep trying to get on it the correct way about 5 times before I finally got it. Basically, what is common sense and natural to other people isn't to me. If I'm given a new task to learn, I just don't seem to grasp it like a normal person would. I didn't even learn how to tie my shoes until I was about 12. I hate being like this, it makes me feel dumb compared to others. I have searched the internet to see if anyone else has this problem or what it could be and I can't find anything. It's very frustrating. I tried telling my mom about it but she doesn't seem to understand. What is wrong with me? I'm sorry if this is sort of vague but it is the best description of what my problem is. Is it fixable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 10:07 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,269,573 times
you are who you are. Maybe it's not fixable, maybe it's not meant to be fixable....but it is you. You should quit seeing it as a problem...that's where your frustration comes in.
Quit comparing yourself to others...that's probably where more of your frustration comes from. You can be happy being yourself if you want to....a lot of people have waaaay worse problems than what you describe.
Also, believe me when I say...common sense is no where near common anymore.
Just live life to the best of your ability...help others less fortunate....be kind.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:22 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,004 times
I would start with your primary care physician and explain to him or her what you have posted.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:33 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,379,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan123 View Post
i would start with your primary care physician and explain to him or her what you have posted.
^^^^^^^that!!!^^^^^^^

Old 09-29-2015, 11:44 PM

710 posts, read 584,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
you are who you are. Maybe it's not fixable, maybe it's not meant to be fixable....but it is you. You should quit seeing it as a problem...that's where your frustration comes in.
Quit comparing yourself to others...that's probably where more of your frustration comes from. You can be happy being yourself if you want to....a lot of people have waaaay worse problems than what you describe.
Also, believe me when I say...common sense is no where near common anymore.
Just live life to the best of your ability...help others less fortunate....be kind.
I appreciate the nice words but it is a legitimate problem for me. Other people have noticed it and have commented on it before. It's not a life-ending problem but it's very noticeable.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:08 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,571,033 times
It could be a form of dyslexia. You can google dyslexia and see what you think. It doesn't mean you are dumb at all, but some things will be harder to master. My husband is dyslexic, and he isn't good at all using tools and never passed geometry. But he's great at music and very intelligent. You can help with this. Good Luck!!

Old 11-02-2015, 08:14 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,269,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
I appreciate the nice words but it is a legitimate problem for me. Other people have noticed it and have commented on it before. It's not a life-ending problem but it's very noticeable.
If other people weren't commenting on it...would you still feel the same?
Why agonize over it...it is what it is....maybe if you accepted that about yourself, others would too.
If you consider it to be a "legitimate" problem, then you must believe there's a solution.
Maybe the only solution that can be helpfull to you is knowing this about yourself, take a little more time in what you do....and above all else love yourself the way you are....
You are not alone...a lot of people have a hard time doing tasks that are simple for others.
What really counts is whether you are kind, compassionate, caring,.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health