Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2016, 02:18 PM

42 posts, read 49,739 times

Advertisements

I'm 24 and work for the Arizona Department of Child Safety as a Case Manager. I've been with them for 4 months. I can't focus good on the job now. All I deal with all day is cases of child abuse. Neglect and physical and sexual abuse on kids. It's taking its toll on me bad. It's so depressing seeing all these abused kids and images and detailed descriptions of it. I knew it would be when I took the job, but I thought I could handle it. I try to not think about it when I'm not at work, but it's hard to. I try to take my mind off it by going horse riding or going to rodeos or going to the gym. But I can't get it all out of my head.

My relationship with my girlfriend is really being affected too by it. All I wanna do when I get home is sleep and sometimes I feel like crying because of all the abuse cases I deal with. I can't sleep well at night either. I just lay there thinking about it all. We aren't supposed to be judgemental at DCS on the abusers. Our priority is supposed to be about the kids and the kids alone. But sometimes I just wanna beat the Hell outta the abusive parents. But I can't. I can't handle this much longer but I can't just leave a job with no job to go to. My girlfriend keeps pressuring me to try and tough it out, but I can't. It's so depressing and hard. I just feel like I'm going downhill quick.

I'm so depressed and like I said all I do is sleep or cry. My relationship with my girlfriend is suffering emotionally, socially, and intimately. I don't know what to do other than leave the job but like I said I can't leave a job without one to go to. Maybe I should just go back and work on my Grandpa's ranch. Being a cowboy is something I do best. But I don't know. It's a state job with good benefits but it's burning me out so bad. I can't do it anymore but I don't want to be looked at as a failure. Just trying to vent and not be thought of as crazy or something. Any advice or thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 06:46 PM

251 posts, read 203,705 times
There are lots of good jobs with benefits out there that won't destroy you. What's the worst that could happen, realistically, if you quit? What's the best that could happen? Repeat the question, this time imagining what if you stayed?

You need to love yourself a little on this one. The pain is yours; I can't imagine it for you, and neither can your girlfriend.

Pain management here looks like a plan and a backup plan. Can some counseling help buy you some time to work out what you want to do without making yourself crazy? Or acting impulsively?

There's no dishonor in leaving a place that hurts you. Discomfort, yes. I have recently done this myself. I can say that while I'm not happy, yet, I now know peace. It's much easier to think in peace.

I don't think you can't make a decision. I think you already know what the decision, and because it to is painful, it must be wrong.

What decision causes the least hurt and the most healing? What problems do you want to solve? And what can you do to create the situation that supports what's right for you?

Go in peace, friend.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:38 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
I'm sorry you're going through this. Someone I know used to work in the special victims unit of our local law enforcement agency. He transferred out at his earliest opportunity. The things he saw and heard -- it really affected him for a long time.

Get out while you can. Make a fresh start, or go back to something you know before you lose yourself entirely.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:42 PM

42 posts, read 49,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
I'm sorry you're going through this. Someone I know used to work in the special victims unit of our local law enforcement agency. He transferred out at his earliest opportunity. The things he saw and heard -- it really affected him for a long time.

Get out while you can. Make a fresh start, or go back to something you know before you lose yourself entirely.
Yeah I'm working on it. It's nothing like I thought it would be. I have applications in everywhere. I just can't do this anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health