Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 12:12 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,269,684 times

Advertisements

Personality Disorders such as Schizoid, Antisocial, Borderline, etc., are they caused by abnormal brain wiring, or is a result of environment?

For example Schizoids have blunted emotions. They either don't feel anything or they bottle up their feelings so well its like they don't have them. I can see how a lack of emotions seems like it would be due to some structural difference of the brain. The same could be said of Antisocials/psychopaths.

Borderlines however are overly emotional with extreme emotional reactions.

I can see how either of these could be adaptatations to a traumatic childhood/environment, or could be due to brain wiring (like Autism).

I'm not sure what the current research says about this. Hoping someone may be able to tell me in a nutshell.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 12:13 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,673,806 times
I am starting to believe both have an impact on a person. What, if any, physical issues they are born with. Then, the environment they are raised in. Neither one or the other exclusively.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:14 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
I'm sure if you do more research online or in the actual library you will find the answers to your questions..............
in a nutshell.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:16 PM

510 posts, read 714,669 times
I think generally most mental illness is thought to be caused in part by genetics, in part by environment.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:25 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,390,984 times
Genetic predisposition and also the environment.

Usually peopole with mental illness comes from a dysfunctional family environment: Divorces, lack of a father figure, controlling mother or father, abuse history and the list goes on.

But also there is the genetic factor. Thing with mental issues is they are so subtle, often the person doesn´t even know they are this way, much less why.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:36 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,375,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post
Genetic predisposition and also the environment.

Usually peopole with mental illness comes from a dysfunctional family environment: Divorces, lack of a father figure, controlling mother or father, abuse history and the list goes on.

But also there is the genetic factor. Thing with mental issues is they are so subtle, often the person doesn´t even know they are this way, much less why.
I think conversely, there are people who suffer from mental illness who had none of those experiences and who, actually, were born with both social, educational, and financial advantages. It's an interesting issue.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:42 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,350,305 times
I'm thinking that it's both environment and brain wiring. Different individuals have different results from growing up in the same environment.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:26 AM

26,655 posts, read 26,627,701 times
Personality disorders result from learned behavior, with the possible exception of Antisocial Personality Disorder, which, according to recent studies, may have a genetic component.

Personality Disorders are recognized by the American Psychiatric Association as resulting from early childhood experiences of deep trauma, and are in fact a long enduring pattern of behavior that is a way of coping with the world as a result of those early experiences. http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Person...ct%20Sheet.pdf.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:07 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,390,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
I think conversely, there are people who suffer from mental illness who had none of those experiences and who, actually, were born with both social, educational, and financial advantages. It's an interesting issue.

There are no "written in stone facts" when it´s about "mental illnesses"

I think genetic plus traumatic events, like a divorce can trigger no only personality disorders but also mood disorders.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,132 times
It's both I think, it's different for each individual case. Not all borderlines are overly emotional , some lack emotion. Each is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health