Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 06:49 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,390,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc19 View Post
I did not realize that this person is bipolar. I also, didn't realize that her post was from long ago 2016.

I am not bipolar. I am just a person who had a difficult adolescence, and still struggles with low level depression, which gets effected by physical health issues. I have survived. I hope that TiffNYC is doing well and is on the road to a happier life.
Just to clarify, I was talking in general, not specific about the OP or anybody else on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 05:24 PM

607 posts, read 600,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc19 View Post
I did not realize that this person is bipolar. I also, didn't realize that her post was from long ago 2016.

I am not bipolar. I am just a person who had a difficult adolescence, and still struggles with low level depression, which gets effected by physical health issues. I have survived. I hope that TiffNYC is doing well and is on the road to a happier life.
Hey, TiffaNYC here. I'm not bipolar, just to clarify... I have/had complex-PTSD from a trauma, and also major depression from it, and I've dealt with depression and anxiety my entire life, aside from the trauma. Anyway, moving on. I actually have been meaning to reply to this post for months, to the naysayers and people who were, imo, kind of nasty and unnecessarily harsh/unkind, to update on what I did and how things turned out.

I did move to NYC. It will be a year ago in April that I took a one way ticket and stayed with friends in New Jersey for a couple of weeks. The first day I went out to find a job and go on interviews, I got a good job, was hired on the spot--hired on the spot at 2 different places, actually, so I got to choose which one I wanted. I also found a very cool, fun, like-minded female roommate with a killer deal of a room between SoHo and the LES. Her family has been in the building for years, so I'm living in an area that I wanted, at an affordable price, with someone else who is also artistic, childfree, and a cat lover like me, which is great. When I found my job AND my new place to live, it was both in the same day, and it was one of the most exciting and happiest days of my life. I felt like I could do anything, and I was so proud of myself and I KNEW I had what it took to succeed and be here. All the people who discouraged me have no idea of my personality, achievements, and what kind of character I have, or the kinds of things I'm capable of. Nobody in my actual life, who knows me, discouraged me, because they all know who I am; everyone was more than supportive and excited for me.

As for healing and recovering from what I was going through: the depression that I was in has definitely gotten better. I don't feel as desolate and hopeless all the time like I did before. It isn't completely gone, BUT unfortunately, that's because of some new problems that arose, which is that I have developed some very difficult health problems since moving here. They didn't come on because of the move, they just happened, and some of it is hereditary. But luckily, I have good insurance through my work, I'm seeing a great doctor and started medication almost a month ago, and I have hope that I will get better, be healthy again, and that the depression from dealing with these health problems will also get better.

The only thing I will say about moving to NYC, that has been really hard, is the loneliness. It's really really hard to not see my loved ones and family and best friends on a regular basis. I do have friends in NYC, and surrounding areas, that I have known for 10-15 years, but people are busy, it's hard to find time to get together, blah blah. The loneliness is definitely very jarring and probably the hardest thing about NYC, in my opinion, next to the disgusting summer and the cost of living.

All in all, I moved here, I got myself a job and great place to live, I'm not thriving as well as I would like to be, but it's a process, and I still walk around the city and can't believe that I live here. I'm still in awe and love it so much, despite the difficult times, and I have hope that as I continue along my path, things will get better, as long as I don't give up.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:24 PM

653 posts, read 813,775 times
You see, we all got what I call a life trap - a gene deep certainty that things will be different... that you'll move to another city and meet the people that'll be the friends for the rest of your life... that you'll fall in love and be fulfilled... ****ing fulfillment... and closure, whatever the **** those two ****in' empty jars to hold this **** storm. Nothing's ever fulfilled, not until the very end. And closure - nothing is ever over.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:57 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,207,511 times
I'm bp2, and do not take meds. When I did, thanks to other medical issues, they didn't work. But things where I had lived were really bad, and I moved to a completely different place. No, its not perfect, but its still better. I certainly don't regret it. It gave more than it didn't. And that I was willing to let go of my issues, and take the chance itself changed me. It's not the perfect place, but last summer my son wanted to move me a few states away and I finally said no. Later, maybe. Right now its not perfect, but I think if life feels 'perfect' then its just a momentary pause in the adventure.

What I've found is that each day has its moments. They may not be great ones, but they are satisfying. If our level of unhappiness about where we are is so great that we can't see them, then maybe its time to move on. But if these golden moments are cared for and appreciated, and the rest is liveable, then look for the good. And let small moments be as important as the major ones. And overall, then, how good is the place for you? Is it in you, is the energy to flick the switch and go to the next room? Moving on takes more than than wishing. You have to do it with belief that its going to work. And with the knowledge that it might not be what you hoped. Then you have to decide if its settle or go.

But that is how we redefine ourselves, but taking chances, and growing form them.

I'm very happy for tiffaNYC. It's really hard to make that break, and I'm sure it won't be perfect, but if you insist on perfection, you'll *never* find your little nitch in the world.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:25 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,320,068 times
I left my NJ hometown, my friends and extended family of 34 years to move 2,000 miles away to Denver. I was a fairly happy and well-rounded person in my hometown, but it was very suffocating and I could not be the person I wanted to be there. Basically, I have a lot of dysfunctional stuff in my family (only recently figured out my mother lies at the root of much of it), and I needed to distance myself from them to get my own footing. I'm a happier and more well-developed person here in the Denver area.

I love my family and miss them. I miss my friends to a ridiculous degree. But I go back when I can for visits. I've set boundaries and am working on setting more.

I think once you've figured out who you are, what your strengths and weaknesses are and what you need to be happy, if you know it can't be had where you are, moving can help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health