Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 07:27 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,201 times

Advertisements

I do not have autism or Asperger's but one of my close friends is married to a guy who very likely has Asperger's and a daughter who has been confirmed with autism.

We were having a discussion about some of her husband's...idiosyncrasies...and she postulated that the age of technology has helped to increase the number of autistic people.

Her theory is, before the technology age, people with autism were essentially cast as outsiders and a non-functioning group in society. Their chances for a family, marriage and offspring were much less likely than others without autism.

The technology age has been a boon to the autistic community. Autistic people are far from unintelligent people and programming skills, math and other similar functions fit right in with their strengths. Now, we have TV shows feature people with autism and Asperger's. Where relationships were not well considered thirty years ago, now they are well-accepted and reproducing, with the chance that their offspring could have these conditions as well.

I believe it to be an interesting premise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 03:18 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Your point?

Old 07-18-2016, 07:13 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
I do not have autism or Asperger's but one of my close friends is married to a guy who very likely has Asperger's and a daughter who has been confirmed with autism.

We were having a discussion about some of her husband's...idiosyncrasies...and she postulated that the age of technology has helped to increase the number of autistic people.

Her theory is, before the technology age, people with autism were essentially cast as outsiders and a non-functioning group in society. Their chances for a family, marriage and offspring were much less likely than others without autism.

The technology age has been a boon to the autistic community. Autistic people are far from unintelligent people and programming skills, math and other similar functions fit right in with their strengths. Now, we have TV shows feature people with autism and Asperger's. Where relationships were not well considered thirty years ago, now they are well-accepted and reproducing, with the chance that their offspring could have these conditions as well.

Your talking about very high-functioning autistics. The autism spectrum is quite large.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:06 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Your point?
I didn't have a 'point' necessarily, but would like to know other's ideas regarding the premise.

And yes, I'm talking about high-functioning members.

I wonder if the increase in the number of autism can be related to the rise of technology. Before, someone with autism was not considered marriage/offspring material and so the percentage of people with autism appeared to be fairly stable.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:42 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:

I don't believe that autism is hereditary...
Technology may make it easier for an autistic person to communicate...in some instances.
I've never believed autistic people to be unintelligent....just trapped in an un-cooperating body.
In this modern era we usually help the disabled to live as normal a life as possible, we don't just hide them away in an institution like we used to.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:

I wonder if the increase in the number of autism can be related to the rise of technology. Before, someone with autism was not considered marriage/offspring material and so the percentage of people with autism appeared to be fairly stable.
I don't understand this at all...what do you mean??? do you mean that the rise in technology has made us more aware and accepting of autism???

Old 07-21-2016, 06:46 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
I do not believe the actual number of people with autism or similar conditions has increased. I think the illness is highly overdiagnosed. What used to be considered a quirk or personality trait is now labeled as an illness.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What used to be considered a quirk or personality trait is now labeled as an illness.
You're right about that Scooby..
.as for autism, I believe it has increased HUGELY, I won't stir the highly controversial pot though by saying why I believe it has.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:58 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I don't believe that autism is hereditary
It's definitely hereditary.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0321123650.htm
https://www.geneticliteracyproject.o...o-autism-gene/
https://www.autismspeaks.org/science...genome-project

Old 07-27-2016, 07:51 AM

No it's not...it's not "definite" at all.
I see nothing in the articles that says it is either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health