Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 05:16 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Next Stage. Thanks for your concern.
I'm coasting at 3/4 of a cup, and stopped there until I can really adjust.. this is a working plan
My knuckles are dragging. I have had minimal energy. I just want to rest.
Today I forced myself to go out .. I feel like the worst is over and once I am a little more active, I will cut it off altogether.

I had two episodes of screaming in my sleep until I work up. So, I have to just adjust to ease up on the stress.

Nightbird.. good questions.

Right now the purpose is to first quit coffee even if it takes several weeks.
I never drink soda, or cocoa so I don't see that as something I would start doing now. I guess that would be like hopping from one caffeine to another and would defeat the purpose.

This link below might help you understand the chemical process used in decaffination process. In my opinion the chemicals are definitely worse for your body than the caffeine.. however the addiction is affecting my nervous system and I want to take care of myself.
Decaffeination 101: Four Ways to Decaffeinate Coffee
I have issues absorbing the food value from food, and watch what I eat. I have to read labels to see what kinds of biners they use, since I can't break down some, so I go for basic from scrach food over packaged. But I welcome that bloom of energy, and as much, just LOVE the flavor. For a while, the doctor wanted me to use decaf. I read up on it and made sure it was the swiss method. It was good, but didn't taste the same. My flavor choice is Folgers Black Silk. Its very strong in flavor, but low in acid and has no bitterness, and doesn't bother the system.

Even if drinking coffee is okay people should read up on how its made, especially with Decaf. Just like if you use 'fake' milk and sugar. They are not all equal and some have traces of stuff you don't want in your coffee. It's not a bad idea to look up the pros and cons of these before using them as a substitute.

It sounds like you are super sensitive to caffine. One thing I suggest is start Reading the Label on foods or additives. Caffine is sometimes used in especially processed foods to boast the flavor. But if you aren't vigilent you could be defeating your own purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 08:09 AM

761 posts, read 604,688 times
Processed foods has always been a "no-no".

Cooking from scratch has always been a priority, as well as an example for our children, now grown and holding the same values.

We always considered canned soups and boxed mixes to be an insult to the body.

For that, I am most thankful for.

Funny though, the only thing that does affect me is the rare occasion I have sald dressing at a restaurant, and I get a bad case of asthma. I know immediately I have just eaten sulfites.

Yes, the caffeine <-- proper spelling btw, is just too stimulating for me, its true.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:59 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
Mmmm caffeine. My drug of choice. Yeah. I need to cut back also. Bad Bad habit. I hope you are doing ok. I've de-caffed myself maybe 3 times in the past for different reasons at different times and each time I inched myself back right to where I was.

My sister uses half caf and we recently stayed with her and I noticed I was sleeping better. I wondered if that was why.

Course, in my attempt to cut back, I've picked up a soda each evening, and now I have 2 addictions.

Must be my personality. I'm just grateful it isn't any kind of drugs.

How are you doing?

Old 05-15-2017, 11:28 AM

761 posts, read 604,688 times
Thanks Patanswers..

I had cut myself down to 1/2 cup, and had that sense I couldn't cut it out completely this time.

You know how sometimes you enter a challenge with yourself and you're full steam ahead
and other times you can't pick up enough steam and you fizzle in a few days..

well, I am in a place where I had coasted and lost my enthusiasm at 1/2 cup, so rather than tell myself I was falling short of my goal, I thought I'd go over to decaf.

I went to a Fresh Market store where they sell a few decaf flavors in whole beans, so I ground up a pound of heady sceated vanilla beans. It felt like a real coffee treat by going through the exercise of grinding the beans. Like I was treating myself. SO I'm drinking the decaf which is maybe in literal terms equivalent of 1/4 to 1/3rd of an 8 ounce actual cup of coffee, and find its an acceptable alternative now that I whittled away from drinking the big cup of caffeine..
See that nightbird?

Pat, let me tell you, I was wound up and literally screaming in my sleep, nightmares just from drinking the full mug (12 ounces) of REAL coffee though I know its a insignificant pittance for others, it was simply too much for me/my body.

I admire you for recognizing your soda has crept up again, but if you can shift away from it before you resign yourself as permenatly hooked, you might be able to "walk away before somebody gets hurt". https://wellnessmama.com/379/reasons-to-avoid-soda/
maybe this will be helpful information that might serve you well in your future decisions.
NO pressure.. just my concern going your way as you had kindly inquired about me. We're all here to help.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:55 PM

115 posts, read 96,194 times
Default Coffee: Addiction Extreme

Quote:
I'm trying to edit a story but I can't focus. This has gone on all week for a simple 1,000 word story...
because...TOO much coffee

I'm thinking I need to quit coffee ---> NOW<---
also realize the miserable unproductive week I will have if I embark on
that noble journey of de-toxing.
Woe is me.

I know me. I need to quit.
I can't handle coffee the way some can't handle liquor.
Low tolerance.

To the coffee mainliners:
I envy you if it doesn't affect you one way or the other, but I know I'm in trouble when its makes me walk in circles and real life becomes an exercise in futility..

Worse, I have no control over eating when caffeine is pulsing through my veins, and my healthy diet gets kicked to the door by those coffee bouncers that take over my head and my good intentions.

I will tackle finish my work today but after, I will resign my post at the coffee machine.
I will slay the dragon within.
Hop on the bumpy path and join me. Lend a kind word or hitch a ride.
Maybe we can navigate the summit as a group.

Here's delightful list of information for anyone who wants to scrub the subject:
https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caf...mptoms-top-ten
Headache. A caffeine headache usually starts behind the eyes and then moves up the front of the head.
Sleepiness. ...
Irritability. ...
Lethargy. ...
Constipation. ...
Depression. ...
Muscle Pain, Stiffness, Cramping. ...
Lack of Concentration
Forget school, studying, brain surgery, or jet engine repair during this stage of withdrawal.
Flu-like symptoms
Stuffy nose, blocked sinuses, and sinus pressure have all been reported by people withdrawing from caffeine.
Insomnia
Some people actually can’t sleep when going through caffeine withdrawal.
Nausea and Vomiting
Some people can’t even think about food the first couple days of withdrawal which compounds the feeling of lethargy.
Anxiety
In some people, caffeine actually causes anxiety, but in others, withdrawing from the drug can cause feelings of anxiety and even panic attacks have been reported by some.
Brain Fog
Withdrawal can cause some people to experience brain fog which is described as the difficulty of having coherent thoughts, difficulty thinking, and the difficulty of doing common tasks.
Dizziness
Caffeine withdrawal can cause some people to lose their sense of equilibrium.
Heart Rhythm Abnormalities
Since caffeine also stimulates the heart muscle, some people experience changes in their heart rhythm during withdrawal. Both low blood pressure and even palpitations have been reported.

I've been a coffee drinker since age 20. That means I've been imbibing this substance on a daily basis for 37 years. Yikes!

Yes, I was one of the "coffee achievers" of the 80s. Remember that commercial? I even took a part-time job to supplement my full-time one at Starbucks. Kept that one for over four years. Free drinks there while you were on shift. I would take shots of espresso, lock up the store, head home and go directly to bed at about 1 a.m. I could do that. Then.

Now, I have cut down from my usual 5-6 cups a day considerably. I only have one in the a.m. and one at 2 p.m. when the slump hits. What helped, you might ask? A little thing called a wake-up call and a recipe for a healthy tonic: Organic apple cider vinegar health drink. It's delicious and easy to prepare:

8 oz. filtered water
2 tbsp. organic apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. cinnamon (or more if you like)
5-8 shakes of cayenne pepper
2 tbsp. of raw (or regular) honey

Mix, heat and serve in a mug. It'll kill any craving for coffee and tastes like hot apple cider. The spiciness masks the cider vinegar taste. The cayenne has an important role in cutting cholesterol. Cinnamon is really, really good for you. The apple cider vinegar is good for your liver and there's a host of other good things it does for you. It leaves you feeling full which is good. We drink this at work and at home.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:08 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
NOPE, tried the no-caffeine thingy, made my life worse.

Not going to say I would be hunting-humans without caffeine, but it would get nasty.

Black and strong, yummm.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
NOPE, tried the no-caffeine thingy, made my life worse.

Not going to say I would be hunting-humans without caffeine, but it would get nasty.

Black and strong, yummm.
A little wisp of sugar and a little milk, and dark coffee beans. If only someone would invent a coffee brewer which would survive being left on all day for longer than part of the year.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks Patanswers..

I had cut myself down to 1/2 cup, and had that sense I couldn't cut it out completely this time.

You know how sometimes you enter a challenge with yourself and you're full steam ahead
and other times you can't pick up enough steam and you fizzle in a few days..

well, I am in a place where I had coasted and lost my enthusiasm at 1/2 cup, so rather than tell myself I was falling short of my goal, I thought I'd go over to decaf.

I went to a Fresh Market store where they sell a few decaf flavors in whole beans, so I ground up a pound of heady sceated vanilla beans. It felt like a real coffee treat by going through the exercise of grinding the beans. Like I was treating myself. SO I'm drinking the decaf which is maybe in literal terms equivalent of 1/4 to 1/3rd of an 8 ounce actual cup of coffee, and find its an acceptable alternative now that I whittled away from drinking the big cup of caffeine..
See that nightbird?

Pat, let me tell you, I was wound up and literally screaming in my sleep, nightmares just from drinking the full mug (12 ounces) of REAL coffee though I know its a insignificant pittance for others, it was simply too much for me/my body.

I admire you for recognizing your soda has crept up again, but if you can shift away from it before you resign yourself as permenatly hooked, you might be able to "walk away before somebody gets hurt". https://wellnessmama.com/379/reasons-to-avoid-soda/
maybe this will be helpful information that might serve you well in your future decisions.
NO pressure.. just my concern going your way as you had kindly inquired about me. We're all here to help.
I've been known on a cold night to drink a couple of full cups of coffee with lots of chocolate and a little milk in it, and sleep fine anyway. Maybe it just doesn't hit me as much. But I got some dark chocolate cocoa mix and that with the black silk folgers coffee (best yummiest coffee ever) was extra delightful.

I used to drink a lot of soda, especially pepsi, but as the bubbles bother me I've pretty much gotten where I rarely drink it. I might get some with a pizza but large bottles will lose their bubbles before I finish them.

I've found a v8 with pommegranut and blueberry which is awesome. Its very strong so I thin it with water, no sugar. You could use a sparkling water if you wanted it to have bubbles. But its pretty much replaced soda. And no caffine. Its got a sweet/spicy taste which holds up well when diluted.

That part about grinding up vanilla bean. Yummmmmmm I just may try adding that to my black silk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health