Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 03:45 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
I hope somebody saves my life..
FInd one thing that makes you smile do it everyday.

Only you can save your life. "There are a lot of crazies out there" is what was told to me from the wife of a Judge. True story.

I volunteered at an animal shelter for several years and it was inspiring to know there are people out there that feel the same as you do. Go to the bookstore and read. Try different things too find your place.

I printed some pictures of things I have taken and hang them up to remember some of the good times and places I have been. Printed a list of motivatonal quotes that I see everyday to inspire me.

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/t...ivational.html

You're not alone, even if it is someone talking to you on a web forum, the responses prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 04:10 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
I often think of this... and have come to this conclusion.... watching the sea break on rocks to me is very beautiful as is a sunset simple things that dont cost a penny,,,,, but put a starving child on that same beach or one in pain and the whole picture changes and the beauty isnt seen.. Yesterday on tv I wanted UK residents with a bit of money off to Grenada to look for a holiday home.. all well and nice and beautiful and lovely piece of the globe to live.. but then the camera panned to where some of the poor lived , the ones who were born there.. and wondered if they saw their country just as beautiful as these people viewing and then buying a beautiful house overlooking the ocean....

Old 07-12-2017, 06:27 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
"Take these pills, see you in six weeks."

That's about as serious as they take it.

If your real fortunate you can see a counselor or therapist that basically gives you all kinds of generic advice.

The real help, the kind of stuff that takes care of root causes, is not to be found.
Find your local chapter of the DBSA ...... Depressive and Bipolar Support Group. It's a group of people who come to get support from others and to give support to others from someone who understands. It's got rules. You don't tell someone else's story outside of Group. And you give respect for each person who reaches out for support, even if you have nothing to add. It can get very emotional. And when everyone is done, we'd go have lunch together.

If you have problems with those pills, say, they aren't working, or you just feel like a zombie, you can speak about it, and people will give ideas on how to get the doctor to listen. If you just need to talk, and have someone actually listen, they will. And if you need more resources, the organization can help you find them.

I'm one of those people who agree that the main method of treatment has become dishing out pills and telling you to go home and take them. I'd add from my experience that when you were there, there was so little time before they had to write out the script for the next person that you couldn't even really talk about problems when the doctor was sitting across from you. And those shocked looks when you said but it doesn't work and its making me too dizzy so I'm not taking it.

But the DBSA saved me. Look for your local chapter, and go. Be honest because you can be, and come back next month. The groups can also get you into contact with other resources as well.

And its confidental. And nobody will call up your doctor if you say you aren't taking the pills, unless your falling apart in which case someone might drive you to the hospital. We did have one person who was planning to kill himself, and before the meeting started, someone had driven him to the Emergency people.

You don't have to be a professional to help, just someone who understands and cares.

http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/Page...rt_findsupport

Old 07-12-2017, 11:32 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Life itself. Which is impossible to describe in its myriad aspects, experiences, delights, challenges, ups and downs, rewards. Its not a question that even enters my head to tell you the truth. Its like "why is the sky" Just a nonsense question.

Therapy can help since this is a thinking issue. But changing thinking learned a long time ago takes time - synaptic pathways have to reform. Good luck if you decide to embrace it.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:06 AM

9,846 posts, read 7,712,566 times
I think you need to find a purpose bigger than yourself. Find a place to volunteer where people have it worse than you. You will be surprised at how much helping others helps you.

That's a good first step.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:45 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,082,562 times
Thanks to all the posters.

I am grateful every day I realize I don't have a disease like ALS (my worst nightmare to get that as I took some big hits in hockey and know I had at least 1 or 2 concussions) and there are people dying right now with that.

I realize they would do anything to be in my shoes. I am physically in pretty much good order.

I try to count my blessings for what I do have, as a Christian, although it can be difficult some times in the mundane day-to-day trials and tribulations.

My mother hanged herself a couple years ago and I just see my father just kind...all by himself now. Just this morning I was thinking...is that what life is all about? You have some kids, then you lose your spouse and that is it? My father looks like the saddest most alone person in the world and I wonder...is that what life is all about?

Old 07-20-2017, 02:36 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Going on these social, night-time, group bicycle rides I try to get out to every other week. Nothing like immersing yourself with a crowd of mixed age people on all different bicycles just cruising along at a leisurely pace through different parts of a city you don't even live in.
I may be a stranger there, but the two-wheeled camaraderie tends to chase the blues down and puts a smile on my face. Some have suggested finding other hobbies for when the time comes I can't do them any more due to work scheduling garbage. But I honestly haven't found anything else that will do it for me like this activity does.
Maybe once I get the title cleared on my motorcycle, I'll start doing that to stem the tide. But at this point, I don't really know what else to do if I can't travel out to my rides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health