Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 03:54 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

I've got a anti depressant thread going on H&W and the topic has gone to Bipolar. Found this and thought I'd post it here too...makes too much sense to me.

About bipolar disorder (manic depression)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 01:16 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've got a anti depressant thread going on H&W and the topic has gone to Bipolar. Found this and thought I'd post it here too...makes too much sense to me.

About bipolar disorder (manic depression)
I first learned about magnesium a year or so ago, on a thread on this board. I've taken a great variety of meds, none really working, and started researching nutritional supliments a few years ago. I was reacting very badly to the drugs, and for health reasons as well, had to take myself off them. But the biggest change was magnesium. I had never heard of its importance. I added it to my list, and noticed almost immediately that the trigger driven bad moments faded considerably. If I'm upset for some reason when I take it, I can feel the stress nearly vanish after I take it. I used to take a small dose of kids benedryl when worry took over. But its like I can stand back and put a safety zone between me and the monster I've created.

When something goes wrong, as in my life things really have and all the fears come back, I have used various ways to counter them, but find with the magnesium there is a distance between me and any of the 'what if' fears and it takes away their power.

I only wish back when when the doctor was giving me RX stuff, if all this info had been so easily available I might have had a few much easier years.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I first learned about magnesium a year or so ago, on a thread on this board. I've taken a great variety of meds, none really working, and started researching nutritional supliments a few years ago. I was reacting very badly to the drugs, and for health reasons as well, had to take myself off them. But the biggest change was magnesium. I had never heard of its importance. I added it to my list, and noticed almost immediately that the trigger driven bad moments faded considerably. If I'm upset for some reason when I take it, I can feel the stress nearly vanish after I take it. I used to take a small dose of kids benedryl when worry took over. But its like I can stand back and put a safety zone between me and the monster I've created.

When something goes wrong, as in my life things really have and all the fears come back, I have used various ways to counter them, but find with the magnesium there is a distance between me and any of the 'what if' fears and it takes away their power.

I only wish back when when the doctor was giving me RX stuff, if all this info had been so easily available I might have had a few much easier years.
Well, it's GOOD that you know NOW. I can wish for things that I've done and wish I hadn't but it's done. At least you've learned and the sad part is that conventional MD's don't go to the find the ROOT of issues like for you in this instance. Very sad actually...So many suffer and often needlessly. Grape Seed Extract and Magnesium are my BIG 2 supps.

Continue on your "new path" for healing. J

Old 09-09-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Well, it's GOOD that you know NOW. I can wish for things that I've done and wish I hadn't but it's done. At least you've learned and the sad part is that conventional MD's don't go to the find the ROOT of issues like for you in this instance. Very sad actually...So many suffer and often needlessly. Grape Seed Extract and Magnesium are my BIG 2 supps.

Continue on your "new path" for healing. J
Its going to be the next thing to add. I'm looking at the amounts and quality. I only do one thing at a time and give it time to see if there is anything problematical. But I feel better now than I have in a long time. I'd get soooo tired despite the B-12 sublinguals up a pill (can't absorb any of it in the normal way) and need to see what's a good dosage of the grape seed.

I still haven't picked a doctor for medicare. I wonder what they'll have to say?

Old 09-09-2017, 07:58 PM

NB47: A good maintenance dose of grape seed ex is 200mg daily. Unless one is really thin, then a 100mg could work. If one is taking a blood thinner, then can't take both.

As what doctors would say, I see an integrative MD and she starts with all supps for everything, then if a drug is needed she'll go there. Conventional MD's probably don't say much about supps or poo poo them. Their big business are drugs.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:17 PM

Another good magnesium link:

https://bebrainfit.com/magnesium-anxiety-stress/

Old 09-14-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
NB47: A good maintenance dose of grape seed ex is 200mg daily. Unless one is really thin, then a 100mg could work. If one is taking a blood thinner, then can't take both.

As what doctors would say, I see an integrative MD and she starts with all supps for everything, then if a drug is needed she'll go there. Conventional MD's probably don't say much about supps or poo poo them. Their big business are drugs.
I've got to find a doctor, so that would be a good idea to ask how they feel about it. I've come to take the things I do because over time they work, and I don't plan to be changing that. That would be great but it is something I'll ask. As I've already proven, you can give me a script for something, but can't make me take it. Right now, I'm trying to find a doctor and sign up for insurence where it won't take the rest of my check, especially with part b taking a huge chunk of the money and me running out before the month ends lately.

I also need someone who knows something about the colitus I had and it being the systemic type which made it way way worse. Thanks to that, I can never really know if and how much of anything I take actually is metabolized. That's one of the reasons I started taking suppliments because they worked better. Before I can accept a doctor, I get to tell them about what I do and why. If they don't feel comfortable with it then I need to look elsewhere.

I have heard the mantra that the side effects of something are not as bad as I think, and I should take it anyway. I'd apply this to suppliments too, but haven't needed to. But I'd be very happy with a doctor who was comfortable with suppliments. If they aren't, I'll just keep taking them anyway.

What I can't seem to get them to understand is if you give me a pill and it has a shiny coating, I have no reason to bother since all the surgery with the colitus (three of them), its never going to be broken down. Long ago, I started investigating how a pill worked so I knew if it was a waste of time. Some it can be bad since they break down too fast. But its still amazes me how little doctors know about what happens to the pills they give out and why its important to be sure they can work the right way and don't the wrong one.

What I'd like to find is a doctor who leans toward biologicals and suppliments and only uses pharma when it has to be. Not going to hold my breath about it though...

And thanks on the grape seed oil. Any better brands?

Old 09-14-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I've got to find a doctor, so that would be a good idea to ask how they feel about it. I've come to take the things I do because over time they work, and I don't plan to be changing that. That would be great but it is something I'll ask. As I've already proven, you can give me a script for something, but can't make me take it. Right now, I'm trying to find a doctor and sign up for insurence where it won't take the rest of my check, especially with part b taking a huge chunk of the money and me running out before the month ends lately.

I also need someone who knows something about the colitus I had and it being the systemic type which made it way way worse. Thanks to that, I can never really know if and how much of anything I take actually is metabolized. That's one of the reasons I started taking suppliments because they worked better. Before I can accept a doctor, I get to tell them about what I do and why. If they don't feel comfortable with it then I need to look elsewhere.

I have heard the mantra that the side effects of something are not as bad as I think, and I should take it anyway. I'd apply this to suppliments too, but haven't needed to. But I'd be very happy with a doctor who was comfortable with suppliments. If they aren't, I'll just keep taking them anyway.

What I can't seem to get them to understand is if you give me a pill and it has a shiny coating, I have no reason to bother since all the surgery with the colitus (three of them), its never going to be broken down. Long ago, I started investigating how a pill worked so I knew if it was a waste of time. Some it can be bad since they break down too fast. But its still amazes me how little doctors know about what happens to the pills they give out and why its important to be sure they can work the right way and don't the wrong one.

What I'd like to find is a doctor who leans toward biologicals and suppliments and only uses pharma when it has to be. Not going to hold my breath about it though...

And thanks on the grape seed oil. Any better brands?
The correct term is Grape Seed Extract....oil is for cooking and salads etc. There are 100's of brands of grape seed extract and I'd stay away from walmart and drug store types...

An ideal doctor is an integrative MD and they are the only ones I will go to. That is IF a person is not gun hoe to jump on drugs, integrative MD's...go to supps first and if a drug is needed then they go there.

A good friend has lived with colitis for a long time and she is reporting that taking Kijimea is helping her..

Kijimea for IBS (Success Story)

Old 03-11-2018, 02:12 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,360,590 times
I've recently started taking Magnesium supplements of 500 MG. It is Oxide, Taurate, Citrate and Orotate. I especially chose it as Taurate is supposed to help with brain health.

So far, haven't seen a huge difference regarding mental impact. Similar to my experiences with Omega3 and B12 supplementation as well, unfortunately
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health