Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 09:26 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard of this? One of my best friends and I have been having regular conversations because his anxiety has recently gone into overdrive for no apparent reason. He has a genetic issue that means he either doesn't process or produce serotonin (I forget which), so his anxiety has been difficult to treat. He started taking Advil regularly this week, he said his anxiety is pretty much gone today.

We're waiting to see how it continues or if this is just some kind of placebo reaction (which could be good too - then he knows it's an issue of him altering his thoughts maybe), but he says his psychiatrist has two other patients that use NSAIDs for anxiety, so it's rare, but not entirely unheard of.

He's also getting his bloodwork redone - I'm convinced he's got some sort of nutrient deficiency given how it escalated out of control so quickly. But if it's as simple as taking Advil... OMG that's crazy. I know inflammation is the source of many health problems, but ... it seems a little out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:44 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
That's really interesting and it does appear to have some validity in the limited studies done on the subject. If your friend wants some safer alternatives in terms of daily anti-inflammatory meds, he could also try curcumin or turmeric supplementation as well as a high quality fish oil supplement. Glad he's found some relief!

Old 12-21-2017, 09:47 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Interesting, Jzy...have not heard of this...hope he improves significantly. Do you know the dose being prescribed...if it's more than manufacturer suggests...?

Old 12-21-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Interesting, Jzy...have not heard of this...hope he improves significantly. Do you know the dose being prescribed...if it's more than manufacturer suggests...?
I don't think so. I'm assuming he takes it throughout the day as recommended - my other friend who has terrible arthritis says that to maintain ibuprofen's efficacy you have to keep it in your system steadily, so you shouldn't forget to take it when it wears off. I would assume that would apply for psychological pain too.

I'm very excited at the possibility of this working - I was so worried about him!

Old 12-21-2017, 11:02 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
I'll ask my MD...as I have Serotonin issues...

Old 12-21-2017, 11:14 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
How are they going to manage the potential stomach issues?

Old 12-21-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I had thought about that. I'm going to ask, but the anxiety was so bad he was basically thinking about taking a leave of absence from his job. First priority is getting it under control ASAP. Other options can be considered from there.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:14 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I had thought about that. I'm going to ask, but the anxiety was so bad he was basically thinking about taking a leave of absence from his job. First priority is getting it under control ASAP. Other options can be considered from there.
That sounds like a good plan.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:18 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
Interesting.. I have never heard of this approach. I have pretty severe anxiety and panic attacks myself and use a small dose of benzos while we try to find a better option. I'm not too happy about it as I know they will awful to come off of, but like your friend, I was in a dire spot. I hope it keeps working for him, at least while they try to find another plan of action.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:48 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
That's a good question! Current guidelines for the management of patients who require NSAIDs for chronic pain and inflammation recognize the potential toxicity associated with these drugs and the need for gastro-protection. Two drugs that come to mind are Duexis and Vimovo - both are combinations of an NSAID and a gastro-protective medicine. Of course, your friend could also take a PPI or other stomach protection drug along with the NSAID. But some people don't like taking medicines, so I thought I'd mention that there is this other option of combining two drugs into one pill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health