U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-30-2012, 09:43 AM

28,063 posts, read 22,338,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suwaidi View Post
Dear all i ahve quit my habit of 16 years since last 5 months but i have pain and anxiety, palpitatnion, depression, doctors say i m normal after i did all the possible test including tmt stress test but normal
i asked the doctors if the pain is due to quit of my habit but they do not agree with it

can anyone tell me is it common after quitting the smoking habit

do write because it helps me daily after reading the post to be worry less
Yes, I noticed this and it's something that no one ever seems to mention.

Apparently the nicotine covers a lot of daily aches and pains that only become apparent once you quit. I am in my fifties, and I didn't realize how stiff and painful my legs and joints were in the morning until I quit smoking. I guess it was there, but because I had a cigarette a few minutes after rising, it didn't really register. It's not sharp pain, just normal achiness and stiffness, I guess. It helps if I get up and stretch them and move around a bit.

I'm a little bit amazed at how many non-smokers say upon hearing that I quit, "Well, don't you feel better now?" Um, NO. You don't feel better after you quit smoking. You feel worse. You have lost a drug that helped you feel better. In the long run, it's healther, yes, but one doesn't FEEL BETTER when they gave up something that MADE them feel better.

The depression alleviates after a month or two, or maybe you just become accustomed to feeling that way and it's dulled because it's now "normal".
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 01:00 PM

3 posts, read 12,716 times
1 week smoke free

Old 07-24-2012, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 12,716 times
how long does the gloomyness last???i smoked socially at the beginning and then was up to 1pack-2 /week..

Old 07-28-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinglyawesome15 View Post
how long does the gloomyness last???i smoked socially at the beginning and then was up to 1pack-2 /week..
I'd say about a month, and then it starts to ease up.

Eight months later I'm still having moments where I think a cigarette would make me feel better. So, I allow myself to follow through with that thought...I'll get a quick nicotine boost that will last about FIVE MINUTES and then I'll feel even worse than before because the good feeling will be gone and now I'll feel like a failure, too.

It's hard. I gained weight from substituting sugar to make me feel better. I'm now trying to drop some of that, but I miss having SOMETHING. It might sound stupid to the people who have all the goodies in life, but those little things like cigarettes and candy can give you something to look forward to on a daily basis in an otherwise dreary, routine life.

Of course, long-term, it can also give you heart disease and diabetes to look forward to...

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-28-2012 at 08:43 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 12:58 AM

1 posts, read 5,083 times
2 and a half years after quitting smoking, i am a mess, my depression and anxiety is thru the roof, i started falling apart when i quit to get "healthy", i now have carpel tunnel syndrome, arthritis, i have put on about 15kgs, my moods,. omg i could kill someone almost daily, i am taking anti depressants, i have stages where i feel better so i stop taking the damn things, then i am back to a blubbering mess, so i start again, have been on them for months again now, but the urge to go and buy a packet of smokes is HUGE, i am sick to death of my brain fighting, its like one side is saying go for it, the other is saying no! its constantly fighting. i actually really just dont like myself. over it.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'd say about a month, and then it starts to ease up.

Eight months later I'm still having moments where I think a cigarette would make me feel better. So, I allow myself to follow through with that thought...I'll get a quick nicotine boost that will last about FIVE MINUTES and then I'll feel even worse than before because the good feeling will be gone and now I'll feel like a failure, too.

It's hard. I gained weight from substituting sugar to make me feel better. I'm now trying to drop some of that, but I miss having SOMETHING. It might sound stupid to the people who have all the goodies in life, but those little things like cigarettes and candy can give you something to look forward to on a daily basis in an otherwise dreary, routine life.

Of course, long-term, it can also give you heart disease and diabetes to look forward to...
Ugh, and the update is that I've been battling this infection in my leg called "cellulitis". It's an infection that's usually a combination staph and strep bacteria, and I'm on my third antibiotic. It's getting better, but slowly. The doctor checked my blood sugar because diabetics heal slowly, and while I'm not to diabetes stage yet, the blood sugar is very high. Then she also mentioned that the cellulitis is exacerbated by and often recurs in people who are too damn fat. Which would be me. I have gained 20 pounds since I quit smoking last December. 21 years ago today, I gave birth to my only child. I weight 28 pounds more than I did the day before I gave birth.

So, now my only source of pleasure in life, eating, is gone. I have to eat as little as possible, because I have to get this weight off. It is so depressing--I sometimes wish I'd never quit smoking, although I won't start again. But GEEZ, what difference does it make? My life sucks--so it will be cut a little shorter? And?

I was never a person who used those affirmation things--where you put notes all around your house to help you change, but I think I have to do that now. "YOU ARE A FAT, REPULSIVE DISGUSTING LOSER" can go on the fridge. "LOOK AT THAT THOSE ROLLS OF FAT!!!!" on the bathroom mirror. "HAHAHA, YOU CAN'T WEAR HALF THE CLOTHES IN HERE!" on the closet door.

Maybe that will do it!

Old 09-07-2012, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 5,021 times
im on my 3rd month of no smoking i did it with the help of patches,im now suffering depression mood swings and for the life of me sleep at night and i do a hard manual labour job...ive noticed im having more alcholic drinks through the week to try and make me sleep but it seems having a drink makes things worse.giving up smoking is not easy,ive heard its harder to quit smokes than some drugs.ive really been reading into this situation and i need to be more focused on my health and getting a hobby and also relaxation theropy and defo cut down on the beer.i thought giving up smoking would be amazing but in these last few weeks im feeling dam depressed and the mood swings are terrible....can anyone help with anymore helpfull ways of dealing with these issuses

ross.............scotland

Old 12-26-2012, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 9,202 times
Helpful. Thank you sad in nj

Old 12-26-2012, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 9,202 times
Hard hard hard. Quit 12/12/12

Old 12-26-2012, 02:28 PM

9,773 posts, read 7,127,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffacake1979 View Post
im on my 3rd month of no smoking i did it with the help of patches,im now suffering depression mood swings and for the life of me sleep at night and i do a hard manual labour job...ive noticed im having more alcholic drinks through the week to try and make me sleep but it seems having a drink makes things worse.giving up smoking is not easy,ive heard its harder to quit smokes than some drugs.ive really been reading into this situation and i need to be more focused on my health and getting a hobby and also relaxation theropy and defo cut down on the beer.i thought giving up smoking would be amazing but in these last few weeks im feeling dam depressed and the mood swings are terrible....can anyone help with anymore helpfull ways of dealing with these issuses

ross.............scotland
this is not unusual. it will pass. quitting smoking is amazing once you get past the crap. there is nothing like the freedom once you really are free. it takes the mind awhile to become a non smoker and not just a smoker who isn't smoking. keep at it. 3 months seems to be a hard time for a lot of folks. it will get better. hang tight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health