U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:30 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,865,634 times

Advertisements

Best wishes and congratulations to all who are dealing with the smoking addiction.

I haven't smoked for 23 years. I quit cold turkey and had some miserable days.

One of the things I did every morning and sometimes several times a day was to look in the mirror, and tell myself "I am a non-smoker" (which was a tip from some reading material). I think it is helpful to think of yourself as someone who doesn't smoke, rather than someone who is trying to quit, just because it is a more positive message.

It is really hard to quit, and if you've never done the walk...then you shouldn't give the talk. I had tried to quit many times before I finally quit. Don't beat yourself up, if you don't make it the first time, second time or whatever. Another idea is to do a cost-benefit analysis and hang it on your fridge, or where ever those tempting smoking spots are. When you look at the benefit side written down everytime you have the temptation, it is really helpful. Also find something to do with your hands. Typing, writing, painting, whatever.

Be good to yourself. Remember you didn't get in to this overnight, and the healing isn't overnight either. Give yourself time. I do agree with some posters who have said that smoking helped them deal with anxious times. Remember it is not the the cigarettes that deal with the anxiety, it is you!!

Good luck to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 06:42 PM

17,372 posts, read 21,218,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
tijlover
Extreme burning sensation in the mouth when smoking.
$10 a pack!! was the last straw.
Its almost a year now and i realize if i smoke 1 cigarette it will be back to close to a $4000 a year habit ,mighty expensive just one cigarette,
I overlooked this factor in my last post.

I took to natural tobacco, rolling my own with empty filter tubes, over 8 years ago. My costs are $1-$1.50 a pack, using smooth cigar tobacco. I buy cheaply at the Indian store here in town.

I notice the difference immediately when I smoke a name-brand cigarette and my own. If my only choice today was store-bought cigarettes I'd have probably quit long ago. But the hazards of the less dangerous natural tobacco is it enhances the taste.

If I smoke a name brand cigarette today, I want to vomit! And I start choking and wheezing, which doesn't occur with the more natural tobacco.

It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to figure out that name-brand cig's are far more dangerous to your health.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:52 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,859,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Also, not sure if it was brought up in this thread, but I read a common way to kick the habit in Scandanavian countries is through Snus...But not the normal dip you see in the cans, it comes in little pouches and you don't have to spit when you use it. At least thats how its marketed.

No idea if this stuff works, or how much nicotine you get from it. I am quite certain this stuff is bad for you too, but if you get a killer craving after say, 5 days, I would rather have someone stick one of these in your mouth as oppose to lighting up a cig.
It works. I've been completely off of cigarettes for almost 2 years thanks to snus. I never even get tempted to have a cigarette the way I used to after quitting. I'm totally repulsed by the smell of cigarette smoke now. I started on the Camel crap you pictured, but then I discovered real Swedish snus, which is a much better quality, taste, and probably better for you. In Sweden, the government will not allow any products into snus that are not legal food products. Also, snus is different from and safer than American "chew" or "dip" because it is steam-cured and pasteurized rather than fire-cured, which results in far few carcinogens and a much lower health risk. Sure, using no tobacco at all is best for your health, but if the choice is smoking, American smokeless tobacco, and Swedish snus, snus is a much healthier alternative.

And I'm also sure that snus is a better alternative than nicotine-replacement products from the pharmaceutical companies like lozenges, gum, etc. Actually, I tried the lozenges at one point, and became addicted to them. I could not stop using the lozenges, and they are expensive. Plus, they can rot your teeth. I had huge cavities I had to have fixed right at the spots where I would put the lozenges in my mouth. A can of snus (my preferred snus is General wintergreen) is about 3 bucks, and lasts me about 4 days.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandeco View Post
Thanks Acupunk, your words mean a lot. It is nice when someone relates. It is so sad that I feel awful still and its been three months. It is not so much that I think I really miss smoking. Its just feeling sad and wanting that old nicotine friend to make me feel better and I know it wont.

***Although this has been some time ago... I think thats great that you quit smoking and hopefully have maintained that composure:-) I too am going through what you did... It is a little over 3 months ago that I quit smoking....I smoked for 13 yrs...LONG TIME...I am proud to say that I no longer have that disgusting habbit lingering w/me anymore...my kids were my main motivation for quitting...not in a million years would I want them to pick that up, so Im hoping this will be nothing short of Inspiration for them...... I am going through the mood swings as well... they seem to get progressive as the time goes by...which is horrible...My husband and I both quit together, and are happy with our choice...however, we seem to be at each other's throats more than anything lately.... I dont want to smoke anymore..Im so glad I quit..yet Im worried this was a not so fun move, for my nervous system..?!?! if that makes any sense?! ugh!

This sucks, and I think I will talk to my Dr. about treatment for this, so that I dont relapse...cause that would be horrible!!!!

I too, am happy to hear that someone else deals with this crap!!! lol

Old 01-29-2011, 03:20 PM

4 posts, read 10,558 times
I so know what you mean about the mood swings. I'm hanging in after one month but the sadness, irritability, and roller coaster mood swings are making me crazy. I seriously don't want to go on depression meds. I am hoping this is a normal part of the recovery period and will go away with time. Anyone else ever experience this? I feel like a complete basket case.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:50 PM

67 posts, read 129,900 times
Chew the nicotine gum it helps been almost 6 years for me now !

I used gum for 2 years better than smoking

Old 01-30-2011, 11:43 AM

Chewing the gum is not an option for me. What I really want to know is if the moodiness is normal and how long it takes before it subsides??

Old 01-30-2011, 11:51 AM

13,807 posts, read 14,642,570 times
yes the moodiness is normal. do your best to push on through it. it is the addiction working it self out of your mind and body. do not give in to the subtle ways the addiction has at trying to weaken you. this will pass.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:12 PM

Thank you for your reply. Do you have a ballpark as to how long? It's been a month and two days nicotine free for me and I have turned into an emotional trainwreck. I'm willing to ride it out if I know there's light somewhere down the road. I'd just like an estimated time of arrival.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,724 times
I am in my third week of not smoking and was google-ing bad anxiety or anger after quitting...I took wellbutrin and am still on it for my quitting...the first week i really was shocked on how well i was dealing with not smoking...it didnt seem to phase me at all that shocked me a lot....i was a pack a day smoker and smoked since i was 15 and will be 30 this year...I definately understand the overwhelming feeling of anxiety and anger...its been worse this past week...if i get upset about anything its 10x worse then i usually will be and the tantrum lasts about two min then i calm down....I cry cause i have no outlet anymore...i get frustrated that i want and cant have a cigg...so this is why i was doing some reasearch...i hope it goes away!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health