Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 07:38 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
You're right but the problem is that the nicotine is the addictive ingredient. Once you don't get that nicotine, you will go through withdrawals like anybody else.
I'm well aware of that. Much of my early work in grad school focused on addictive behaviors and substance abuse. And I currently work in Pharma research so I know a fair amount about how drugs work.

The thing about e-cigs is that you can control the amount of nicotine that you are taking in, so it is possible to taper off the nicotine - and at a rate even more controlled than the patch or gum, which will help with the withdrawal. The liquid typically contains nicotine levels ranging from 24mg/ml to 0 mg/ml. The one I currently use is 18mg; the plan is to slowly step down to 15, 12, 9, etc down to zero.

Quote:
One good strategy to make that as least painful as possible - try to sleep through the next 3 or 4 days as much as you can. Go somewhere where you will not have access to cigarettes or be anywhere around anybody who does.
I don't really have the time to go sleep for three or four days. I keep a fairly busy schedule.

Quote:
Once you get past these first few days, it's all about willpower and losing the psychological and physical habit.
My prior attempts at quitting seem to indicate that I do not have the willpower for that. When I did smoke, I could go hours without if I needed to (meetings, cross-country flights, etc) with no nic-fits or anything - no prob. For me it was always more socially driven - say out having drinks or the like. This e-cig seems to help in those situations where I was most likely to light up. It takes care of the psychological need to have something in my hand and do the hand-to-mouth thing that leads so many people who quit to start eating.

I'd like to think I could just quit cold-turkey. I've tried, and I can't do it. Trying again is just another set-up for failure, so I've turned to an alternative method that has kept me from smoking a real cig for almost a month now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 11:22 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I'm well aware of that. Much of my early work in grad school focused on addictive behaviors and substance abuse. And I currently work in Pharma research so I know a fair amount about how drugs work.

The thing about e-cigs is that you can control the amount of nicotine that you are taking in, so it is possible to taper off the nicotine - and at a rate even more controlled than the patch or gum, which will help with the withdrawal. The liquid typically contains nicotine levels ranging from 24mg/ml to 0 mg/ml. The one I currently use is 18mg; the plan is to slowly step down to 15, 12, 9, etc down to zero.

I don't really have the time to go sleep for three or four days. I keep a fairly busy schedule.

My prior attempts at quitting seem to indicate that I do not have the willpower for that. When I did smoke, I could go hours without if I needed to (meetings, cross-country flights, etc) with no nic-fits or anything - no prob. For me it was always more socially driven - say out having drinks or the like. This e-cig seems to help in those situations where I was most likely to light up. It takes care of the psychological need to have something in my hand and do the hand-to-mouth thing that leads so many people who quit to start eating.

I'd like to think I could just quit cold-turkey. I've tried, and I can't do it. Trying again is just another set-up for failure, so I've turned to an alternative method that has kept me from smoking a real cig for almost a month now.
Good luck to you. I did Chantix, despite all the issues. My habit was strictly physiological, deeply engrained so I needed that nicotine receptor blocker. I also attended a support group, which was very helpful, even if only for venting and sharing vents. You know, everybody works differently and it's the end result that matters. If you have a social situational dependence, I do really suggest you stay away from everybody and every place and everything that remotely smells like smoke. Give yourself a break and don't tempt fate. It's not worth it. You also need to want to do it. Really want it. Pick a weekend where your schedule will let you sleep some of it off. When there's a will, there's a way. Hate to use the cliche but sometimes it's accurate.

I never needed to keep my hands or mouth busy, and I could never make it cross country on a non-stop flight. As soon as they made all flights non-smoking, I did connecting flights.

I think one of my biggest joys at having quit smoking was last month. I was on a 15 hr flight coming home. Four hours first and connected with a 11 hrs one from Rome. It was the best feeling to not have to count the minutes and the hours till the next cigarette. Actually never even thought about it.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
You know, everybody works differently and it's the end result that matters.
Exactly!

Quote:
If you have a social situational dependence, I do really suggest you stay away from everybody and every place and everything that remotely smells like smoke. Give yourself a break and don't tempt fate. It's not worth it.
Last Saturday evening I was at a bar for about 3-4 hours, sitting in an outside smoking section - didn't light one up and had no desire / temptation to whatsoever.

Quote:
I think one of my biggest joys at having quit smoking was last month. I was on a 15 hr flight coming home. Four hours first and connected with a 11 hrs one from Rome. It was the best feeling to not have to count the minutes and the hours till the next cigarette. Actually never even thought about it.
That's awesome!!

Old 08-20-2010, 07:46 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Ok, well I just completed 20 days, cold turkey. Hasn't been as bad as I thought, I even went to my parents house (they smoke) and didn't have any desire to smoke while in their house. However, I leave for Vegas 2 weeks from yesterday, so I suppose that will be the ultimate test. I feel confident that I will not smoke while I am there, I just hope the beer doesn't trump my reasoning.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:50 AM

Also, not sure if it was brought up in this thread, but I read a common way to kick the habit in Scandanavian countries is through Snus...But not the normal dip you see in the cans, it comes in little pouches and you don't have to spit when you use it. At least thats how its marketed.

No idea if this stuff works, or how much nicotine you get from it. I am quite certain this stuff is bad for you too, but if you get a killer craving after say, 5 days, I would rather have someone stick one of these in your mouth as oppose to lighting up a cig.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:33 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
My e-cig arrives today; I can't wait...started rolling my own when the taxes went up and FSC came to my state. Now I'm looking for an easier alternative.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
My e-cig arrives today; I can't wait...started rolling my own when the taxes went up and FSC came to my state. Now I'm looking for an easier alternative.
Happy Vaping!

Old 08-22-2010, 07:24 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Do not succome to this self sabotage.
You may very well be depressed, and the nicotine may be a way to self medicate, but it is not an acceptible one.
Get to a doctor and have a thorough check up. Figure out how to treat your issues in a healthful way. Congratulations on how far you have come so far.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:35 AM

Just completed my first month. Not one slip up

Old 09-02-2010, 07:47 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Just completed my first month. Not one slip up
Way to go....

I'm at day 184 today....smoke free......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health