Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2018, 09:59 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times

Advertisements

Well today's the day! My appointment is at 2 p.m. Hopefully I will get some sort of solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 10:06 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Yes, hope so...let us hear back...

Old 09-12-2018, 01:55 PM

So I got all these papers with test results which tell me absolutely nothing. Some of the things that were recommended for depression I have already tried with limited results. Once again it looks like they want to give me this damn lamictal. When taking it I must stay out of the sun which is fun considering I live in Florida, garden when it's not super hot and not use the tanning bed once or twice a week. I'm willing to at least try it. Guess I will buy self tanner for my legs. The Casper look doesn't fly down here. :-)

I also told her my long time therapist doesn't agree with her diagnosis but she seems to think when I can't sleep and have racing thoughts that it is more of a mood disorder than strictly depression. Anyway I see my therapist tomorrow so this should be interesting. I told her I had been taking the Valium along with a small dose of Lorazepam which she said I shouldn't be doing. However I explained the first two nights I couldn't fall asleep so that's why I took both. Thank the Lord I only work two days a week as I'm going to be hell on wheels for the next few weeks.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 09-12-2018 at 02:42 PM..

Old 09-12-2018, 02:18 PM

Oh darn...was hoping you'd get better recommendations.

Lamictal I tried too....maybe if you give it a good few months it might be the one that makes a différence. I remember the sun thing...

Old 09-13-2018, 05:28 AM

Yesterday I was fine; this morning I woke up sad. Have no idea why unless it's because I didn't get a decent night's sleep. Well, that and I miss my cat. Maybe I do have a mood disorder? Do those of you with depression go to bed fine one night and wake up depressed the next morning?

Old 09-13-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Yesterday I was fine; this morning I woke up sad. Have no idea why unless it's because I didn't get a decent night's sleep. Well, that and I miss my cat. Maybe I do have a mood disorder?

Do those of you with depression go to bed fine one night and wake up depressed the next morning?
No. Since finding the right combo of meds, I typically feel the same each day....but it took years.
Plus, I separate a situation-based sadness from depression.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:06 AM

I called about the cat - I couldn't stand not knowing. The woman who answered the phone told me she was adopted but she wouldn't tell me if it was one of the vet tech's. She did say she is being treated for whatever it is that was causing her to pee blood and that if she knows this adopter the way she thinks she does then Rowan is on a velvet pillow.

While that gave me a certain measure of peace I just want to crawl into my bed and stay there. However I am going to force myself to the gym and then I see my therapist at 2. I am not liking the Valium; I feel worse and if that doesn't change I may just stay on the Lorazepam. If I was younger I would definitely make the effort to get off of it but I'm 63, had cancer twice so how many good years do I have left anyway? I've had the same dosage for years without increasing it and I didn't feel as crappy as I have been lately and I'm always so tired, so very tired. I wish I could just go to sleep one night and just not wake up.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:50 AM

Went to the gym, it's become my new addiction apparently. It almost always makes me feel better. If nothing else I am looking good on the outside anyway. I know when we are in the grips of a serious depression it is hard to force yourself to even take a shower, much less think about going to the gym but for me it helps.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Went to the gym, it's become my new addiction apparently. It almost always makes me feel better. If nothing else I am looking good on the outside anyway. I know when we are in the grips of a serious depression it is hard to force yourself to even take a shower, much less think about going to the gym but for me it helps.

Great....I know it helps....proud of you.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:20 PM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Went to the gym, it's become my new addiction apparently. It almost always makes me feel better. .

That's cuz physical exercise raises serotonin and dopamine levels. That's what the meds are supposed to do, but everybody reacts differently to them, so it's trial and error trying to find the right combo.

Genetic testing only give an idea if you're a fast metabolizer or a slow metabolizer and that can be more easily and more pragmatically determined by trial and error with dosages.

You mentioned earlier that you feel worse when you take valium or lorazepam-- that's probably because they make depression worse. They are "downers" needed by those who are too "up." But from the practical standpoint, many people with depression also suffer from anxiety, so treatment with both uppers and downers is needed simultaneously.

It's a matter of balance between the two-- kinda like driving with one foot on the gas pedal and the other on the brake-- how fast you go depends on the relative pressure on each pedal.

Ask your prescriber about considering a mild narcotic (codeine or hydrocodone). Most doctors don't know it, but for a sizeable number of patients, those can be excellent antidepressants when used in small doses (Cf- using amphetamines to paradoxically slow down a hyperactive kid--that works because it activates the brake pedal more than it activates the gas pedal, so to speak.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health