Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:09 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times

Advertisements

Any experiences? My hubby is interested.. did it work, how long has it been, any nasty side effects?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 12:27 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
There are several other discussions about Chantix on here if you do a search. Here is a link to a recent New York Magazine article One Man's Experience With the Stop-Smoking Drug Chantix -- New York Magazine recounting the authors experience.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:22 PM

305 posts, read 1,807,922 times
My brother and sister-in-law quit smoking. He, 7 weeks ago, she 9 weeks ago.

He did it cold turkey. She did it with Chantix. She's not had any side effects. And so far it seems to be working. Even though she just had a breast cancer scare and had a lump removed! She didn't even think about lighting up. I would have smoked at least a pack before and a pack after the surgery!

Good luck.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:57 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Our drs are using chantix quite a bit these days. I never think to ask them, however... is it them that are wanting the patients to quit lighting up, or are the patients wanting it.

They always try and have the patient stop.. it just seems like an awful lot of it is going on lately. I am wondering if peolpe are trying to be more healthy..

We have had a few patients on Wellbutrin to stop smoking as well...

Old 03-30-2008, 09:53 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Default Suicide

Effective immediately, all the doctors we insure have stopped using this drug. It's not only inducing suicide, but the other reports show that smokers start again at a rate of 80% when they quit using this drug. Here's one of many links:

Pfizer updates Chantix label in U.S. to include warning - MarketWatch

Old 04-01-2008, 11:42 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
I used it. Did it for 2 months + a week or so. Short of the recommended 3 months. I stopped smoking almost 5 months ago now, after smoking non-stop for 40 years, a pack a day.

Side effects were some nightmares now and then.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,855 times
Arrow Mother used Chantix

My mother, 78 years old, had been told they found a spot on one of her lungs. After being a smoker for 62 years, we assumed it was probably lung cancer. She decided that she would finally quit smoking. We went to the doctor and spoke with him about Chantix and other methods to help stop smoking. The doctor felt that Chantix was the correct option for my mother. It seemed to work for her at first - she was smoking less. Then, on the fourth day, she had a massive stroke, heart attack and several seizures. She survived for another 3 weeks but passed away from congestive heart failure. I can't prove that Chantix was or was not the cause of the stroke and heart attack. Maybe the doctor should have considered her age when prescribing the medication. I truly believe that the use of Chantix help end my mother's life.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:20 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperchick View Post
My mother, 78 years old, had been told they found a spot on one of her lungs. After being a smoker for 62 years, we assumed it was probably lung cancer. She decided that she would finally quit smoking. We went to the doctor and spoke with him about Chantix and other methods to help stop smoking. The doctor felt that Chantix was the correct option for my mother. It seemed to work for her at first - she was smoking less. Then, on the fourth day, she had a massive stroke, heart attack and several seizures. She survived for another 3 weeks but passed away from congestive heart failure. I can't prove that Chantix was or was not the cause of the stroke and heart attack. Maybe the doctor should have considered her age when prescribing the medication. I truly believe that the use of Chantix help end my mother's life.

Paperchick, I am so sorry for your loss. That is awful. Doctors today are so quick to give meds out, and not worry about the 3 or 4 pages worth of warnings that go along with the meds. It is a tragic time we live in. Not everything should be "cured" with a pill.

I take 2 meds myself and hate it. But it is the only thing I can do for now. I am hoping that wont always be the case.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:08 AM

4 posts, read 18,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
Any experiences? My hubby is interested.. did it work, how long has it been, any nasty side effects?
You can take some free quit smoking aids to help your husband. I recently found a good website that offers such aids.
Stop Smoking Aids

Old 07-26-2010, 06:40 PM

792 posts, read 1,176,147 times
I'm taking it and it does work. I smoked for 30 some years and haven't smoked for 8 days now.
Chantix takes the craving away but it doesn't take away the behavior/habit.
For me, the habit is what I have the most problem with. But so far, so good.
I have great dreams.....LOL! Really lively ones.
I have to take the pills with food or else it makes me sicker than a dog. I eat a cracker, then take the pill, then eat another cracker and that seems to do the trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health