Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 02:30 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,146 times

Advertisements

Speaking of smoking in another post, first of all, I was never a smoker so help me understand something here. There must have been a time, before the addiction set in, that you could have stopped so my question is, what was your reason for smoking in the first place? And, for whatever your reason, was the result accomplished? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 02:35 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Stupid teenage reasons, peers doing it. thought it was cool and all . It was the 80's I was a "Stoner" as it was called so all my friends smoked. We were just retards.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:40 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times
Most people start when they are teenagers, peer pressure is a big reason and curiosity. Next thing you know you're addicted and craving cigarettes. Smoking is the worst thing I ever did and quitting was the best thing I ever did. Even when I smoked I hated it, they smell, their a waste of money, they change the color of your teeth and they are bad for your health and I knew all of this but I still smoked. At least once a week I would say, I'm going to quit and then I would ask someone else for "just one" and a day later I was buying a pack. I finally quit when a friend of mine died from lung cancer, it was sudden and fast. After he died I promised him I would quit and I did cheat a couple times at first but I felt so guilty that I finially gave them up for good.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:59 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Stupid teenage reasons, peers doing it. thought it was cool and all . It was the 80's I was a "Stoner" as it was called so all my friends smoked. We were just retards.
Pretty much the same reasons here. Just cuz I wore Iron Maiden shirts I was labeled as a "stoner". We were just retarded and now Im addicted and ashamed of it. Ive tried to quit several times, but it just doesnt take.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:59 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
I just felt like it was a grown-up thing and I loved the look on my mother's face the first time I lit up in front of her. Rebellion I guess, but then my friends were smoking and it got easier and easier, especially with menthol cigarettes at the beginning. Smoking, for me , is a pleasurable habit, but it brings all kinds of issues that are unpleasant with it and it's very difficult to give up generally. I had to wait for a physical reason to stop and that made it easy. The trick now is to never pick another cigarette up again.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:04 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Pretty much the same reasons here. Just cuz I wore Iron Maiden shirts I was labeled as a "stoner". We were just retarded and now Im addicted and ashamed of it. Ive tried to quit several times, but it just doesnt take.
I managed to quit 11 years ago, it was torture, but the patch and suckers helped alot. Yep certain dress got us labeled. Torn jeans, flannel over our judas priest shirts, or crue which ever I was wearing that day!!!! great now I feel Old!!!

Old 12-13-2006, 03:08 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,940 times
Growing up, my family had a restaurant with a cigarette machine and my parents kept the extra cartons of cigarettes in our basement. To a 13 yr. old, it looked like forbidden fruit! All those brands! All those bright colors! Especially the one with the camel on it!

I just decided to experiment once, and thought it made me look "cool". What a mistake! It took me 16 years and and getting pregnant to stop. But, haven't had one in 10 years, happy to say!

Old 12-13-2006, 03:26 PM

431 posts, read 393,689 times
I have never, ever smoked - never even had a cigarette to my lips. I do have friends that used to smoke (and family) and I know how addicted they were and how difficult it was for them to quit. I admire all of you for having "kicked the habit" - I know it took a lot of will-power and determination!

Health and happiness,
Lannie

Old 12-13-2006, 03:37 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,273 times
Definitely peer pressure, and my whole family smoked while I was growing up, so I just thought that's what people did when they grew up I still have an occasional cig- even though I've gone as long as 3 years at a time without having any. What has it accomplished? Making Phillip Morris rich, wasting my money, making my clothes and breath smell bad, you know... really rewarding stuff

Old 12-13-2006, 06:33 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Sheesh, talk about taking the words right outta my mouth! Like totally tubular man LOL

I quit once, due to a guy I was dating......... back then you could still smoke everywhere, including hospital waiting rooms Well, quit for him and then saw him walking through the mall smoking a cigar Tried quitting a second time after a sinus surgery........ didn't happen.

Resumed the nasty habit out of spite and continue because I enjoy it.

My hat's off to those of you who have kicked the habit. Keep strong and stay off of 'em!

Last edited by cleosmom; 12-13-2006 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: added kudos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health