Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 08:58 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,053,222 times

Advertisements

So if they have another brand of smartphone they can continue to use it?

Just say there is to be no phones while practice is in session, they can check their phones during the allotted breaks if needed. If there is an emergency they must take it outside, etc.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:17 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,819,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Poor kids indeed! Many are no less than spoiled narcissists who don't give a damn about anything but themselves and the present.
Speaking of narcissist . . .
Pity that you work with kids in a volunteer matter with naive perceptions like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Again ...a stupid response to a serious society matter. Your example of 'zombies' regarding people reading newspapers while commuting is FAR removed from the matter that I'm discussing. These newspapers - people actually filling their heads with NEWS rather than obsessed with social media crap - are put down as soon as people disembark from their mode of transportation. These newspapers are not attached to their hand, these people don't suffer anxiety or a panic attack when they are not carrying a newspaper, these people are able to actually interact with other people without any distractions such as having to take a peek at their newspaper every few minutes ...get the idea? Or, are you too so absorbed in your own stupid phone that you're unable to drag yourself long enough away from it to actually see the harm that it's doing to your kids?

But anyway, it was "I" who initiated this thread so I guess I have to at least show some appreciation for a response ...even if devoid of at least a modicum of intelligence or concern. So, thanks for your response.
Nice personal insults. Check the terms & conditions. I find it comical that you are actually using social media to rant against social media. Also, you mention me being too absorbed in my own stupid phone & being on social media, when I look up & see you've been on here for 3 years yet have roughly the same # of posts as me in the 10 1/2 years I've been here. Looks like you're the one spending too much time on social media. You do realize people use their phones to read the news. Every newspaper, medical journal, magazine is available in digital format to read on your phone. People actually use their phones for more than social media. The way tech is going, we're going to be needing to use our phones more & more as banks, newspapers, shopping etc turns more digital. It'd be ignorant to think every person you see looking at their phone is addicted & will become anxious if their phone is away from them.

The newspaper mention was very fitting. Spend some time to read up on history & you'll read all about how the Victorians ranted about the newspaper. They expressed fear & anger that people were too self-absorbed & distracted. They would lose the ability to socialize. They couldn't put the paper down. Sound familiar?? There's lots of examples throughout history of people like you who overly feared advancements, technology, & basically anything that occupies our time that is new. Look at how comical these examples sound today.

Socrates: thought the advancement of written word would make people stupider.
Writing

From an article in 1859 about the dangers of chess:
"A pernicious excitement to learn and play chess has spread all over the country, and numerous clubs for practicing this game have been formed in cities and villages...chess is a mere amusement of a very inferior character, which robs the mind of valuable time that might be devoted to nobler acquirements, while it affords no benefit whatever to the body. Chess has acquired a high reputation as being a means to discipline the mind, but persons engaged in sedentary occupations should never practice this cheerless game; they require out-door exercises--not this sort of mental gladiatorship."

But yes, just like you, people have always found things to complain about the youth. Nothing is new.

From an article from 1904
"Never has youth been exposed to such dangers of both perversion and arrest as in our own land and day. Increasing urban life with its temptations, prematurities, sedentary occupations, and passive stimuli just when an active life is most needed, early emancipation and a lessening sense for both duty and discipline, the haste to know and do all befitting man's estate before its time, the mad rush for sudden wealth and the reckless fashions set by its gilded youth--all these lack some of the regulatives they still have in older lands with more conservative conditions."

Self-absorbed children. An article from 1853.
"... see the simpering little beau of ten gallanting home the little coquette of eight, each so full of self-conceit and admiration of their own dear self, as to have but little to spare for any one else... and confess that the sight is both ridiculous and distressing... the sweet simplicity and artlessness of childhood, which renders a true child so interesting, are gone (like the bloom of the peach rudely nipped off) never to return."

But, interesting enough a lot of articles are discussing that the Millennials (those you claim are seriously addicted to their phones) are the new Victorians.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c...ians-b8875ggj5
This talks about how millenials/post-millenials are going to be the new Victorians. They'll be the stuffy, uber-moral generation and that the baby boomers were like regency ladies who wore dresses made out of semi-see through thin materials and wet them down so they'd be extra see-through.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:05 PM

6,616 posts, read 2,813,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
So if they have another brand of smartphone they can continue to use it?
I'm not up to par with all of the technology available. When I use the term 'smartphone' I'm referring to a communication device that is both addictive for the user as well as causing a distraction to others during practice time. But, I think you already know that . . .

Quote:
Just say there is to be no phones while practice is in session, they can check their phones during the allotted breaks if needed. If there is an emergency they must take it outside, etc.
Yes. I've already done this and last Sunday's practice session went well ...no smartphones at all during practice. However, immediately the practice was over one particular girl just about broke her neck to pull out her phone. THAT is Addiction with a capitol "A"!

Thanks for your post.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:27 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,193,146 times
Quote:

Not a hard thing to do....or understand. Lots of work places I know of don't allow cell phones on the job site...

Old 10-17-2018, 10:04 AM

30 posts, read 34,874 times
I'm just going to say that I don't know a single person who is willing to pull out a newspaper or book during the middle of a conversation/activity/event because they just can't stand to not know what's going on. It can wait. Facebook can wait. I'm 36 and still don't understand what Snapchat is, but it can wait, too. Since when is being bored an excuse to just check out and act like what you're doing doesn't matter? There is a time and place to check your phone and why does it need to happen 100+ times a day? It's unreasonable. I don't attempt to wear my headphones while at a music rehearsal, so the Sony Walkman thing doesn't apply here.

I think the OP is trying to say that it's the addiction aspect, not the technology itself that is the problem.

I've had MULTIPLE conversations with my mother in law, telling her that her use of computers and her phone during our conversations makes me feel like she isn't listening(because she straight up isn't) and the behavior may be curbed for 20 or 30 minutes at best. Which tells me that her internet shopping addiction is definitely more important than the conversation we started before she got out the computer or phone.

I see the deleterious effects of smart phones every day. This isn't to negate the positives that we experience as a society. I'm very thankful that I don't have to be stranded when I break down on the side of the interstate. However, to ignore the fact that smart phones are changing our brains in similar ways to drugs (affecting dopamine) isn't helpful.

The level of distraction one experiences from these devices is far worse than someone sitting down to read an actual intellectual source of information. The problem with the internet is that there is a HUGE amount of information to sort through before you could ever find a scholarly article or news source. It's so filled with utter and complete garbage that the good stuff is hard to find. Anybody can put just about anything on the internet. Newspapers and books used to have some credibility. Not anymore. Any old person can blather on about anything (kinda like I'm doing here) and be heard/seen. So yeah, what I say doesn't really matter at all.

OP, I feel you. I think teens have typically always been self-absorbed and interested in their own lives, but these phones have given them a vehicle to exploit their own interests at any time of day without consideration of others. Manners are put to the side (by adults too) and they can do whatever they want. Why do teens even need smart phones by the way? I don't see them using their calendars or email for organizing. Sexting and doing things they shouldn't....

Old 10-17-2018, 01:27 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,438,190 times
Some good solutions were provided but now this has gone off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health